Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Old 05-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Default CRAZIEST Box of halves YET!

Well, if this CRH was not one for the books!

The first box KT opened had right at 2/3rds of it as NIFCs....so many that KT decided to only take the years 2010 to 2015 inclusive to save. He placed the rest into the dump bags to go to the Royal Bank! Also in that box were 7 40% halves, and 6 pristine Bicentennial Proofs.

The other 4 boxes had no silver, a smattering of NIFCs which KT did not keep as He was hoping to get a full roll of each of the saved years from this hunt. Pictures follow including the rolls kept, the pile of all the NIFCs from the first box, the Bicent. Proofs and the last pic displays a 1999 Ken Proof and 1 with a brown sticker from the First City National Bank Arlington VA. Those 2 came from the other silverless boxes.

KT loves NIFCs and many of these were pristine, but the Royal Treasury is not quite rich enough to "invest" in so many low mintage coins in one week! We have $60 to spare on this but not $350+...!

So if anyone gets a box or two loaded with pre-2010 NIFCs and no recent ones, it is a gift from KT! KT assumes someone passed away in 2016 as there were no 2016 NIFCs in the box, and the family finally settled the estate, someone hitting the bank with the bulk of the coin collection! KT figures they knew just enough about silver mintage dates that they held back all the pre-65 coins in the collection. Oh well, at least KT recovered some decent silver this week. WHAT A CRAZY box!

Enjoy the pics this week!
Attached Images

Old 05-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Supporter

Blinding! I wonder what exactly did occur here? You assumption sounds logical...Congratulations!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Elite Member

Congrats KT.. strange lot indeed. I got three boxes last week.. Only keepers were 3 40% halves a 65,66 and a 69S. Maybe I can get some more next week with better results.. Keep up the good work Bro..

Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 PM
Elite Member

Congrats KT.. strange lot indeed. I got three boxes last week.. Only keepers were 3 40% halves a 65,66 and a 69S. I did get two cracked die strikes, one of which is a strange one.. I'll post some pics of it in another post..
Maybe I can get some more halves next week with better results.. Keep up the good work Bro..

Old 05-18-2017, 09:44 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Blinding! I wonder what exactly did occur here? You assumption sounds logical...Congratulations!
All that bright metal and bright edges in the first box were almost blinding to His Majesty...it took quite awhile to decide how to handle this big Surprize!

Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 AM
Supporter

Possibly a collector dumped all those NIFC's. A 2-roll P/D 2017 Kennedy set from the mint costs $42, that's over a 100% mark-up! Some collectors buy the rolls, cherry pick the jewels, and dump the rest. Did you know you can buy many other old coins from the US mint, including steel cents, bags of wheaties and BU Mercury dimes?

I recently dumped 1,000+ Jefferson nickels dated between 1946-1958. Lots of nickel searchers out there too...wonder how many of mine ended up in collections?

Nice score KT, 'keep on 'truckin!'

When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Possibly a collector dumped all those NIFC's. A 2-roll P/D 2017 Kennedy set from the mint costs $42, that's over a 100% mark-up! Some collectors buy the rolls, cherry pick the jewels, and dump the rest. Did you know you can buy many other old coins from the US mint, including steel cents, bags of wheaties and BU Mercury dimes?

I recently dumped 1,000+ Jefferson nickels dated between 1946-1958. Lots of nickel searchers out there too...wonder how many of mine ended up in collections?

Nice score KT, 'keep on 'truckin!'
Thanks for your comments, amc rulz! This box has caused KT to think a bit differently about the way He collects NIFCs. Perhaps it would be fun to collect annually a roll of each year and then put the rest back into circulation. That way KT would get an ample amount every year and other CRHers would have a chance at KT's extras! thus putting a limit on the annual amount, also the KT could gradually go back through His Yearly Hoards and get them organized into rolls. His Majesty will think about this idea some more. Hmmmm.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Elite Member

Very strange box for sure, nice catch though!