Would like advice on purchasing gift for husband; new detector

treasurebox

Hello,

New here, and feel rather silly about posting but bear in mind I know NOTHING about detectors....... :?:

My husband has a detector that he has owned for about 16 to 20 years and uses ALL the time. I want to purchase a new one for Christmas. The one he uses seems to be a good one. It is a Bandido II (Tesoio BLF/Discriminator.) Does anyone know about this detector and what would be a reasonable good upgrade???? I cant spend $1000 for a whites, but I also do not want to get just a generic beginners detector either, because he REALLY is a hunter. ; )

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! :D

If you're on a budget you can get him a really nice Garrett Pro Pointer for about $130.00. That's a hand held pin pointer that assists in target recovery. Not an actual metal detector. There are a ton of great mid-price range detectors too. How much were you looking to spend?

I was thinking 300 - 400 range. I'm reading on in threads and have discovered the one he currently owns is a very nice beginner/intermediate one. he literally takes this thing everywhere we go. It is older and I dont know how detectors have improved over the last 15 years.

Thanks!! :D I just looked up the pro pointer - I think he would like that very much!! I will research the detector you suggested as well. This forum is great! My dh's hobby is opening up a WORLD of gift ideas that I hadn't thought of before. I've always been intimidated by the cost of other detectors and hadnt even thought of accessories.

I plan to pass this forum on to him. Very cool!

Thanks again!!

Yeah detectors can cost a fortune and that's why I think accessories make the best gifts. Find pouches, pin pointers, diggers, sifters, or even new coils all make great gifts. Glad I could help! I'm sure you'll get a bunch more responses from the other members as well :)

Thanks!! :D I just looked up the pro pointer - I think he would like that very much!! I will research the detector you suggested as well. This forum is great! My dh's hobby is opening up a WORLD of gift ideas that I hadn't thought of before. I've always been intimidated by the cost of other detectors and hadnt even thought of accessories.

I plan to pass this forum on to him. Very cool!

Thanks again!!

If he likes the Bandido then I would suggest a Tesoro Vaquero or Cibola as an upgrade.

The idea of a propointer is a great one. As far as a detector goes, every person has preferences...... What if you bought him an Ace 250 and he hated it? Or a new tesoro, only to find out he loves his old machine, finds plenty with it, and won't use a new machine?
If he's been using that machine for 16 years, often, he must be pretty tuned in to it.

Another option would be a new coil, but I think the pro pointer is a great idea - generally in the forum it is highly praised.

Please let us know how the gift works out, maybe post a pic of him grinning with it, whatever ya choose.......

Welcome to the forum treasurebox, you don't need to spend $1000 for a whites or any other brand for that matter stick with the Tesoro brand :yes:. If its the Bandido II µMax your husband has. its a good one, this older detector will do what most of the newer detectors will do and more. You might gete a little more depth from a Cibola or a Vaquero or a Tejon. One thing to note is the Cibola doesn't have an adjustable ground balance like the Bandido II µMax & the Vaquero and the Tejon has which is important if hunting in mineralized ground. You can read through the reviews on the Tesoro's if you like http://metaldetectorreviews.net/tesoro.htm If you have any questions post away lots of good friendly people here on the forum. Steve.

Attachments

• bounty-hunter-metal-detector--200811404341704441.jpg
    bounty-hunter-metal-detector--200811404341704441.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 460
Back
Top Bottom