After Finding Over 6,000 Wheat Pennies I Finally Found. Key Date One

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Hey everyone,
I went over the 6,000 career wheat penny mark this weekend and found my first key date wheat penny, a 1931s. It’s in pretty good shape, and cleaned up pretty nice after a couple baths in boiling peroxide. I have found most of the semi key date coins like the 1924d and most of the early S mintmarks, but excited finding a key date one. I had to call my girlfriend and share in the excitement after finding this one.
Jason

Attachments

• 975F4793-6DC5-4A79-B1F4-1EDD52E99079.jpg
    975F4793-6DC5-4A79-B1F4-1EDD52E99079.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 709
  • 897BA0D0-1E0B-4225-A72D-F0FF98805284.jpg
    897BA0D0-1E0B-4225-A72D-F0FF98805284.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 730
  • 7FD497CB-1959-4377-8508-C76FBB37EF44.jpg
    7FD497CB-1959-4377-8508-C76FBB37EF44.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 705
That's an awesome score Jam. I found a really toasted 31S a couple years ago and a 14D this year. If I can get a 1909S, 1909S VDB and 22D I think I will have found the complete wheat set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats a lot of wheats, you were due to pull a Key Date!
Now I bet several more will come on in for you...just working the odds!. Congratulations there Jam! Go get a 43 copper one!

6k in wheats is just inconceivable to most,but the guys who have been at this awhile must also have quite a collection! Great to know there are not only old coins still waiting to be found,but GOOD old coins!
That oughta make you smile for some time to come!:grin:

Must be excited Jason, since you didn't lump it in with your weekly finds post. Deserves a thread all to itself..... ;)

Great find!!!

That's an awesome score Jam. I found a really toasted 31S a couple years ago and a 14D this year. If I can get a 1909S, 1909S VDB and 22D I think I will have found the complete wheat set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks! I remember your 14D and I think I am about where you are with my dug wheat folder set.
Very cool score!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thanks!
Great find...and you cleaned it up nicely too. Congrats!
Thanks! Luckily the park I found it in is usually pretty good on coins.
I'm glad it was you and not me Jason.

You have more than earned that wheat.

Congratulations!!!
Thanks Kurt! Funny thing is, we were just talking about the key date wheats at the cars earlier that day.

Thats a lot of wheats, you were due to pull a Key Date!
Now I bet several more will come on in for you...just working the odds!. Congratulations there Jam! Go get a 43 copper one!
Thanks! Now you mentioned the 43 copper so it will happen. :D
Thanks Tom!
6000 wheats?? That's crazy! :wow: Congrats on your key date find! :) :thumbsup:
Thanks bud!
6k in wheats is just inconceivable to most,but the guys who have been at this awhile must also have quite a collection! Great to know there are not only old coins still waiting to be found,but GOOD old coins!
That oughta make you smile for some time to come!:grin:
Thanks Kevin! Yes, there are still good old coins out there to be found. Just never know what the next find will be. Gotta love this hobby because of that.
Must be excited Jason, since you didn't lump it in with your weekly finds post. Deserves a thread all to itself..... ;)

Great find!!!
Thanks Sean. Yeah, I didn't get my weekend finds cleaned up but wanted to get this posted.

Fantastic find bud! That penny cleaned up nice too, congrats!
Thanks Jeff!
So how much excitement did she feign for you? :laughing: Congrats on the neat find!
Thanks Felix. My girlfriend detects and knows about rare coins so so was super excited for me, plus she could tell how excited I was.
i dont know whats cooler to me. That you've dug 6000 wheats, or the key date you found haha. Congrats!!!
Thanks! It has taken almost 7 years to find all those wheats and glad I finally got one the the three key date ones.

Congrats, btw why is it a key date? guessing low mintage or S mark, thanks

oj/BC canada

Thanks Felix. My girlfriend detects and knows about rare coins so so was super excited for me, plus she could tell how excited I was.

Then I guess she wasn't faking it! ;) I got find me one of those detecting girlfriends one day! :yes:

Jason, Think about the over 6000 holes you vented the ground with for all that Copper. Now you have one that was worth all that effort. Now you have one worth all that time. I say this as maybe this next year I will finally pass the 2000 count on Wheat's. Congrats Jason an a fantastic recovery and a great clean up upon it. Hope the 1909S VDB is still out there for you. Trapper

Then I guess she wasn't faking it! ;) I got find me one of those detecting girlfriends one day! :yes:
Nope, not at all.
Jason, Think about the over 6000 holes you vented the ground with for all that Copper. Now you have one that was worth all that effort. Now you have one worth all that time. I say this as maybe this next year I will finally pass the 2000 count on Wheat's. Congrats Jason an a fantastic recovery and a great clean up upon it. Hope the 1909S VDB is still out there for you. Trapper

Thanks Trapper. I always figured being on the west coast is the best chance for find the 1909S VDB.

Back
Top Bottom