Button ID..?

shughey00

Been a while since I have been on here or really been out...but found this button today and I have no idea...usually I can ID them but not seen one like this.
Scott

Attachments

• button8890.jpg
    button8890.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 314
Thats the best I can do on the front...I can't read the words as my vision is not good closeup I have to use a camera to read it.
I can try and get a decent pic of the back but it is pretty crusted.

Apparently they are a rare button...like a 5 I think....hat the heck is an early 1800's Haitian button doing in Maine...who knows. Here is a pick of what they look like...not all corroded.

Attachments

• phoenix2.jpg
    phoenix2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 237
The no. 26, is that a regiment #
The phoenix was Christophe's coat of arms. All of his troops were outfitted with uniform buttons and buckles with this phoenix design. The numbers at the bottom of the buttons denoted the regiment number. The buttons are numbered 1-30 with 11-13, 15-19 and 21-24 being skipped. There is no concrete evidence of why these numbers were skipped. One theory is they were skipped intentionally to fool enemies into believing the army was larger than it really was.

This was a description from an auction site for some of them....Also mine must be a cuff button as it is not the 25mm coat button...it is more like 17mm or so...

Nice find.
Im originally from kittery. Ive been on this sight a few years. Never seen anyone from the area. We are in a great location for sure.

Yah I have been detecting this area hard for 30 years...just keep my profile low.....:-)
Now I live in SHapleigh....

There's a guy on our Maine forum who found two of those in the same garden patch, both in southern Maine also - not sure if York Cty or not... But clearly there's a reason for them being around - that's not a one-off...

Back
Top Bottom