Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Old 01-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Elite Member

Default No silver but an unusual hunt

Although there was no silver I did net a 1987 p Ken as well as a two tailed half that is VERY well done. It is the first I have found and will probably be held onto just for the novelty of it. There were also 6 NIFC’s but I won’t include pics of those. Happy hunting all !
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2019, 05:03 AM
Supporter

Two-tailed half? I’ve been crh’ing for years and have never heard that term, I had to look it up...oh, majician’s coin! Cool, I’ve never found one that I know of, in years of searching halves. I know they do have value on ebay.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...
They arrested him

Old 01-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Supporter

Cool coin!

Old 01-19-2019, 09:38 AM
Elite Member

Nice scores, nice and clean too. Were they found close to one another?

Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Two-tailed half? I’ve been crh’ing for years and have never heard that term, I had to look it up...oh, majician’s coin! Cool, I’ve never found one that I know of, in years of searching halves. I know they do have value on ebay.
Thanks amc rulz! It's funny, I didn't want to call it a magician's coin. I have definitely gotten a couple of double takes when showing it to a few family members and friends. I was surprised when I found it for sure.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Saoirse View post
Cool coin!
Thanks Saoirse... I think so too!

Originally Posted by 3.14R8 View post
Nice scores, nice and clean too. Were they found close to one another?
Thanks, they are clean. They were several rolls apart. Some of the coins in this box were quite dirty, so I'm glad they were in nice shape.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Congrats! The 2-tailed half is quite cool.

Mathew 6:19-21 ~ 2019 Clad: 052 Coins ($04.35)
Totals: 452 Clad Coins ($30.50) ~ 1 Wheat Cent ($0.01)
2 Foreign Coins ($0.06) ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie ~ Au: 0 ~ Ag: 0
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer

Old 01-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
Thanks amc rulz! It's funny, I didn't want to call it a magician's coin. I have definitely gotten a couple of double takes when showing it to a few family members and friends. I was surprised when I found it for sure.
Sometimes there’s a smaller coin inside, part of the act. They say shake the coin in a glass jar to pop it open.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...
They arrested him

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Sometimes there’s a smaller coin inside, part of the act. They say shake the coin in a glass jar to pop it open.
Wow... I love the help on this forum. I had tried moving it or separating it by hand to no avail. Tried what you suggested and here are the results. Alas, no hidden coin inside.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Will be no hidden coin in these! Unless someone bought it and hid a coin in it! KT has recovered two and a half, one each of double sided heads and tails, and a single half. Traded the two good examples to one of the forum members for a bit of silver! Congrats as they are very scarce in rolls.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Will be no hidden coin in these! Unless someone bought it and hid a coin in it! KT has recovered two and a half, one each of double sided heads and tails, and a single half. Traded the two good examples to one of the forum members for a bit of silver! Congrats as they are very scarce in rolls.
Thanks KT! I do enjoy the occasional unusual finds. It boggles my mind what people will return to the coin machines so that they end up back in circulation !

Old 01-20-2019, 05:35 PM

Hey I'll have to try the jar shake method on the few of these I've found. I've been holding them loosely, face-up, at about 45 degrees and repeatedly rapping the edge on a hard surface until the back comes out enough to catch with a fingernail.

Mine have been foreign coin hybrids, never double-backs.

I recall the first one I found -- had NO IDEA it was a magic coin, but was fascinated by the fact it sounded completely dead when dropped. No ring, no clink, just thud. I convinced myself someone must have gently bent it into more of a dome shape than flat causing the weird sound. I kept it as a curiosity. Probably more than a year later I saw mention of these magicians coins and wondered if that was what I had. Yep!

Happy Hunting
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post
Hey I'll have to try the jar shake method on the few of these I've found. I've been holding them loosely, face-up, at about 45 degrees and repeatedly rapping the edge on a hard surface until the back comes out enough to catch with a fingernail.

I recall the first one I found -- had NO IDEA it was a magic coin, but was fascinated by the fact it sounded completely dead when dropped. No ring, no clink, just thud. I convinced myself someone must have gently bent it into more of a dome shape than flat causing the weird sound. I kept it as a curiosity. Probably more than a year later I saw mention of these magicians coins and wondered if that was what I had. Yep!

Happy Hunting
TorqueMaster, that is very cool! KT likes it! HA HA

Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Elite Member

My wife has become a coin roll hunting demon!! She has the touch for finding 40% and 90% coins, especially half dollars. She has found Kennedy’s, Franklins and Walkers. I take the non silvers and look for error coins.

Recently I got 19 rolls of halves and put her to work. I jokingly told her she needs a Barber to add to her collection.

18 rolls and only a single ‘68. But the last roll and the next to last coin was a 1907 Barber.

Cha ching
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on a nice find for her ! I have not yet gotten a barber !

Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TorqueMaster View post

Happy Hunting
Very nice... congrats on a cool find !

Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 PM
Elite Member

Smile

Cool finds! You had me a bit confused for a moment; until I read the first post, I couldn't decide whether it was a magician's coin or a true error. Congratulations on the '87 P and NIFCs, as well - very nice finds! I hope your next box holds silver!

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2019 totals: $1.78
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Congrats! The 2-tailed half is quite cool.
Thanks wolf-dog, it’s an unusual one for sure.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:05 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Princess View post
Cool finds! You had me a bit confused for a moment; until I read the first post, I couldn't decide whether it was a magician's coin or a true error. Congratulations on the '87 P and NIFCs, as well - very nice finds! I hope your next box holds silver!
Thanks princess! Honestly I wasn’t sure if it was a magicians coin or not either at first. It was so well done I couldn’t find the seam and I certainly couldn’t get it apart until I tried amc rulz trick. I’m hoping for more silver soon as well. I’ve been in too much of a slump lately.