Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 02-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Default Flat Button and possible horeshoe?

I am sure I will have a few more items as I got some more rusty iron that need electrolysis. The land has hunting and farming back to the 1700s. I just pulled this button yesterday. It is thin and the crust flaked off. I thought it was more crust but it looks like there is a lip on the sides that make it look like a recessed oval. Any ideas on age and if it is something interesting are appreciated.

The second item is what looks like a large horseshoe but has no holes in it. I am guessing the item below it is a horseshoe but the one I have done electrolysis with looks a little different. Is it just me? Do they need holes?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

That's a mule shoe.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Longhair View post
That's a mule shoe.
Well I'll be! After you posted that, I went on google and you let someone know the same back in 2014. I didn't even think of even the possibility. I didn't see any holes and thought it may be part of a tool. The property I found it on was a farm and duck hunting spot back prior to the 1970s back to the 1700s. Does the one below look Muleish as well? I plan to run the rust off with electrolysis like I did the one cleaned up some.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:12 PM

That's a mule shoe.
Now as I think about it...I wonder if this went with the mule ...I found it on another part of the property.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:42 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Dantheman View post
Does the one below look Muleish as well? I plan to run the rust off with electrolysis like I did the one cleaned up some.
I can't really see it in that pic well enough to tell.
Mule's and donkey's feet are long and narrow when compared to a horse's foot that tends to be more round through the quarters.

The best that you know is the best that you've had.
Slow Down, and you'll achieve a more harmonious outcome.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:48 PM

I can't really see it in that pic well enough to tell.
Mule's and donkey's feet are long and narrow when compared to a horse's foot that tends to be more round through the quarters.
Thanks, I will post a photo when after I get that rust off to see what it looks like without the buildup.

Tags
button, flat, horseshoe, iron, old buttons