Lord Of The Flies

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Any of y'all have trouble with flies on the beach? Up here, right about now, we sure do! They are just the common house fly, but for some reason, they stack up on our coastline in vast swarms and grow teeth!:mad:

There is nothing that will stop them from mobbing a guy and driving you insane, they consider insect repellent a 'condiment'..A full set of Underarmour leggings and a long shirt and a hat helps, but any exposed skin is slathered, smothered and covered with them! The back of your hands will hold about 20....

Its been like this for years, I dont know why, they will even follow a fishing boat miles offshore on a flat day and make for a miserable adventure...a few miles inland, and no problem, a guy can hunt like normal, just on the coastline they stack up and bite...

Well, this morning they came pouring out of the dunes at Sunup and ripped me a new one! I was out in the water, but even with my phones on I could hear them coming...like a transformer buzzing....I knew I was in big trouble! I was only wearing swim trunks, no shirt... As I was fighting my way through the hungry squadron, I accidentally inhaled one!

Holy Bleep! It was buzzing around in my air bags like a yellow jacket in a Shopvac! I lit up a cigarette and tried to smoke him out, but I went into a massive coughing fit and nearly inhaled a dozen more, nearly passed out! The air is so thick with them, you can club them with your scoop! Not kidding!

I got the hell out of there and came home exhausted and glad to be alive...I did find 2 quarters, some pennys, and 8 empty cans... Any of y'all have this seasonal trouble with biting flies?
Mud

Same here, little guys can bite thru your shirt also. Mike and I were out the other day and he had a sweet spot about waist deep. He got gold but every time I looked in he was swatting or doing evasive maneuvers. I just stayed deep and gave them nothing to bite on but struck out on the treasures.

I forgot to say there are two kinds down here. One that looks like regular flies and the others have big wings. Both have the same affect. Pain.

Yep,

Like you say, smallish, looks like a house fly. They don't bite my neck or face.. But arms and shoulders get torn up... They are fast and hard to kill too.. I've tried covering my exposed skin with clay, and that didn't help either.. Like you mentioned, long sleeve poly...

They'll get the best of anyone..

Like you said, inland a half mile, not a problem... Hop in your boat, do 90mph for 30 miles, still there... I've accidentally left my windows cracked and they have stacked up inside my truck waiting at the ramp too..

If anyone would like to get familiar with how the bite feels from these little bastards.. Light up a cigarette, puff it for a couple minutes, then try to put it out on your shoulder...

Good luck Mud!!!

<°)))>{

We get them little buggers here too... when the wind is out of the North (inland) the waters, are calm and flat but the biting flies swarm the beach, when the winds are from the South (off the water) the flies are gone but the water is much choppier....

Same here, little guys can bite thru your shirt also. Mike and I were out the other day and he had a sweet spot about waist deep. He got gold but every time I looked in he was swatting or doing evasive maneuvers. I just stayed deep and gave them nothing to bite on but struck out on the treasures.

Lol I've been there too, had a nice waist deep cut with good targets only to be chased chin deep in the sand to find nothing...

Ours at least don't bite through clothing, or my thick neck hair lil...

<°)))>{

Mud up in your area I think the fly is known as the "Black Fly". Two wings and a set of jaws.

The UP is known to be infested with those flying teeth.

Mud up in your area I think the fly is known as the "Black Fly". Two wings and a set of jaws.

The UP is known to be infested with those flying teeth.

Black flies are a different animal, can be just as bad but they are different..

They can be avoided in Michigan for the most part because they are only here for a week or so during the spring and fall as they are migrating through..

The flies Mud is talking about above are a mid summer-fall thing that doesn't go away..

<°)))>{

Yeah...It aint a traditional black fly Geo...We have dealt with them, and big mosquito swarms in season, these damn things look just like a common house fly...but they are fearless, fast and unmerciful, thick swarms!...

You have to hit them hard to kill them even...if they get on your legs, you can go wade out in the water and they hold their breath and stay on and continue to bite! Or just move up on your back and arms most damnably! Theres no repellent or escape at all...like I said, the Underarmour full body suit or a 3 mil neoprene wetsuit is about the only way to go...any exposed skin is attacked though...

They make for the WORST hunting conditions ever! Worse than hunting sub zero with ice! Nice flat day, perfect water temps, height of the season, yet these flies will flat shut a guy down from gold hunting in a hurry! I had all the right gear in my rig this am, but damn...I was so worn out and bitten up by the time I made it back to the car, I said the hell with this! And I know better!

I'll wait until Sept when they are all gone or a big onshore wind drives them off! Luckily, its only for a few weeks, plenty of totlots and tearouts to work in the meantime..!
Mud

Any of y'all have trouble with flies on the beach? Up here, right about now, we sure do! They are just the common house fly, but for some reason, they stack up on our coastline in vast swarms and grow teeth!:mad:

There is nothing that will stop them from mobbing a guy and driving you insane, they consider insect repellent a 'condiment'..A full set of Underarmour leggings and a long shirt and a hat helps, but any exposed skin is slathered, smothered and covered with them! The back of your hands will hold about 20....

Its been like this for years, I dont know why, they will even follow a fishing boat miles offshore on a flat day and make for a miserable adventure...a few miles inland, and no problem, a guy can hunt like normal, just on the coastline they stack up and bite...

Well, this morning they came pouring out of the dunes at Sunup and ripped me a new one! I was out in the water, but even with my phones on I could hear them coming...like a transformer buzzing....I knew I was in big trouble! I was only wearing swim trunks, no shirt... As I was fighting my way through the hungry squadron, I accidentally inhaled one!

Holy Bleep! It was buzzing around in my air bags like a yellow jacket in a Shopvac! I lit up a cigarette and tried to smoke him out, but I went into a massive coughing fit and nearly inhaled a dozen more, nearly passed out! The air is so thick with them, you can club them with your scoop! Not kidding!

I got the hell out of there and came home exhausted and glad to be alive...I did find 2 quarters, some pennys, and 8 empty cans... Any of y'all have this seasonal trouble with biting flies?
Mud

Dryer sheets rub them on exposed areas

Dryer sheets rub them on exposed areas

C'mon dude! That aint gonna work! Not even diesel fuel stops these bloodthirsty Btards!...I fell for that "Skin so Soft" mosquito repellent once back in the early 80's, it was like ringing a dinner bell at an orphans school!...

You gotta have some documentation/vids concerning this dryer sheet trick...You are obviously pulling my front tail and want another post tomorrow after I get torn up right?:laughing: Thats OK...I do this all the time, giving free theoretical advice to folks..but I'm not falling for it!

I aint going back out there as your guinea pig to confirm this dryer sheet trick!! Unless its a load of dryer sheets sewed together in a full Tyvek Hazmat suit perhaps...quilted, with Kevlar in between! :laughing:

I got 57yrs walking this Planet, and I'm telling you, these biting swarms of late Summer beach flies are the damndest thing I've ever seen...!
Mud

Could it be your aftershave mud? :grin: I live very close to the coast and yes, there is a similar problem at certain times of the year. I've sat on our dunes - trying to have a romantic interlude, when these flying insects appeared from the sand all around us.... She freaked out and that was that as they say :lol: Now there is so much poop left behind by dog walkers that I wouldn't want anything landing on me! I will wait until it is much cooler before I again venture that way.

Hiya Mud! The Kal gazette had a article on them a few weeks back,telling about how bad Lake Michigan beaches were this year because of those fly's.We used to call them horse fly's as a kid on the farm.Nasty little basturds.I had salmon fishing charter years ago spoiled by those things swarming and biting all day,even way offshore!

I used to wear a cammo net over my head when turkey hunting. You would look goofy, but it would keep the flies off of your head and face.

Mud
have you tried bee keeping hat/vest/shirt? The hats can have a thin mesh similar to a mosquito net but stronger

Mud

lmao :laughing: Mudd. Man I live down on the Treasure Coast in Fl. We are never bothered with man eating flies. Mosquitos the size of Humming Birds, Alligators, Rattle, Coral, Cotton mouth's. Anaconda's, Boa constrictors, Sharks, Alligator, Sting rays, jelly fish and not to mention fire ants. But Flys? No problem. Maybe Mike is the attractant:lol:

lmao :laughing: Mudd. Man I live down on the Treasure Coast in Fl. We are never bothered with man eating flies. Mosquitos the size of Humming Birds, Alligators, Rattle, Coral, Cotton mouth's. Anaconda's, Boa constrictors, Sharks, Alligator, Sting rays, jelly fish and not to mention fire ants. But Flys? No problem.:lol:

You forgot the worst of all...

Chiggers!

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom