Recommendations needed on Mask and snorkel

Digger2

I don't live anywhere near a dive shop, so I'll have to order online.
The mask and snorkel will only be used in shallow water (less than 4 feet) for retrieving finds.
Its been a long time since I've done any snorkleing, so I am not up to date on the newer developments, hence my questions.

What masks are comfortable? I've read about snorkels that won't take in water, do they work?
last question....does any one have a link to a good vendor for this type of equipment?.

Thanks
Roy

Well you are NOT going to like the answer to this one.

You HAVE to try on a mask to see if it fits your face. Without the strap you have to put the mask on your face, breath in and see if the mask seals against your face without letting any air in. The strap is ONLY to hold the mask in place. It is not to be tightened to make the mask fit super snug.

A lot of snorkles have gimicks, balls to keep water out, extra vents. You need a plain snorkel. One with MAYBE a valve at the end to drain out water. I don't use it as I am old school. I do have one that has a flexible bend. BUT the inside is smooth and doesn't trap water. \

My advice is to take a trip to a dive shop. See what fits.

If your only going to use it once or twice, go to Wallmart or Sams Club and try one on. You might find one that is suitable. BUT one small other fact. MOST STATES require a dive flag even while snorkeling for YOUR protection.

Thanks for the reply, I won't be snorkeling with it. Just retrieving finds.
After my last venture hunting in the water, I find, while the mask and snorkel may not be a necessity, they sure will be useful.
Roy

I second scuba's recommendation, without trying one on you wont know if it will fit you're face correctly. I order alot of stuff from Leisurepro, but I know specifically what I need. For shallow water, snorkeling, a walmart or sams club one might work just fine.

SD is the man. I just got one an Aeris Cuda Dry 2, ive only tried it in the pool so far.... but seems to live up to its billing. Very little water gets in. Being an ole military guy i know what a good seal feels like on a mask..... had many a gas mask on. I bought my stuff from Liesure Pro. I did notice... like detectors prices seem to be set so i didnt find many cheap deals. That Cuda i bought had good reviews ... be careful NOT to get the mini unless you like a smaller mouth piece.

Im going to ask a dumb question here.... are you saying you arent going to use a scoop? You may well need some weights as well to get you down and keep you in place.

Dew

You need to try on a bunch. When I first got scuba certified, I think I tried five pairs until I was satisfied.

I agree to stay away from the really gimmicky masks and snorkels. The only feature I have is on my mask, its a vent in the nose section where you can blow out water and it provides a bit of pressure relief as well.

I bought the mask type with one solid glass lense, not seperate lenses. Its more fragile to cracking, but I like the visibility a lot more, might not need it for the little you'll be using it.

Lastly, I take 2 drops of dishwashing liquid, take the dry mask, and wipe the inside of the lense with it. Let it sit there, dont rinse it now. I always used to rinse right after, but found its soooo much better to leave it till you get to the beach/lake. As long as the EPA doesn't write you up for a quart of suds.

I don't live anywhere near a dive shop, so I'll have to order online.
The mask and snorkel will only be used in shallow water (less than 4 feet) for retrieving finds.
Its been a long time since I've done any snorkleing, so I am not up to date on the newer developments, hence my questions.

What masks are comfortable? I've read about snorkels that won't take in water, do they work?
last question....does any one have a link to a good vendor for this type of equipment?.

Thanks
Roy

For your needs you might just want to consider simple swim goggles.
As others have stated though, in order to find the right fit you'll need to find a mask that fits the shape of your face. Meaning trying on a variety of different makes/models.

Tusa makes a very good product and I'd recommend a dry snorkel. Dry snorkels don't require you to purge the water that enters standard snorkels;)

Nice thread! I know where a dive shop is. That's about it!:lol: I just want to scan the edge of sandbars for rolling chains. If a boat comes over the sandbar into the swimmers it's gonna be a B.U.I.

Watch out .... things start to roll. I got the mask, then the snorkel.... had to have some weight to keep me down while fanning. Now i cant use my skullies so im thinking of GG phones.... and i just bought a new scoop. Thinking costs money.

Dew

Watch out .... things start to roll. I got the mask, then the snorkel.... had to have some weight to keep me down while fanning. Now i cant use my skullies so im thinking of GG phones.... and i just bought a new scoop. Thinking costs money.

Dew

:lol:True but what other hobby pays you back while doing it? Certainly not golf! I just hooked up a set of GG's to my Excal;)

Thanks for all the very informative posts, I may be able to find a dive shop in New Orleans or Baton Rouge.

Roy

I just got a simple mask and snorkel off amazon it is a US divers set I know it a top of the line but it fits and fits the bill. Lol. Now I just need a lite weight for keeping me down. I am different in the I have not do e to hunt yet but just walk out. Our swim areas are no deeper then 8ft. I just want to get out at the rope line where everyone swims to and sits on the rope.

I prefer a black surround so less light comes in from the sides...it helps me concentrate on the bottom better. Also you'll appreciate a neoprene strap instead of the standard rubber strap that comes on a mask. In my opinion, a purge valve is not necessary....I use the standard 'tilt head back, break seal and exhale through nose' to clear the mask.

Get some anti-fog spray. You can spit in it but the anti-fog is far superior and longer lasting.

Also, I buy the 'bug eye' masks with the oversize lenses for more field of vision.

Fancy snorkels just cost more...get a decent $35-40 snorkel and learn how to clear it properly.

Aqua..... man you dog i want a pair of the GG Amph just to dunk on my other machine. If im not using the snorkel thou you cant beat the skullies for sound. See what i mean..... out goes more money.:lol: Id say i have to watch my pennies, but my wife does a much better job at that. She loves the bling..... but let a couple of bucks go out and im thankful for bad hearing.:laughing:

Good info guys.

Dew

I bought a mask and snorkel last year, i had to try on about 5 different models before i found one that fit my face perfectly, and it was actually the cheapest of all i tried on. As far as a snorkel, i bought an ultradry double valve type, has a float that closes at the top. You'll feel it if any water gets in all you have to do is with one hand hold the float up (closed position) and exhale, the water gets forced out through the second valve which is at the bottom of the Y shaped mouth piece... I always had trouble properly clearing a regular snorkel and this changed my mind about snorkeling, much nicer FOR ME....

Well first time with mine today..... you had to be there.:laughing::laughing::laughing: Ive got one of those ultra dry ones.... about time i wanted a gulp of air it wanted to close. I now totally see why you have to wear about 30 lbs of weight to detect. you have a scoop n one hand the detector in the other.... you cant swim down you have to be able to stoop and in salt water baby do you float even at nose deep. This is going to take some practice..... but its NICE to be able to see stuff on the bottom when the water is clear..... like Rolexs and cash. I can see some pro and cons already. Long beaches with nice deep valleys between the sand bar and shore you are good.... otherwise you are carrying a lot more weight when you are just waist deep. Bald heads and no hat.... and no glasses.

Dew

Back
Top Bottom