• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

F2 totlot ??

batboy4014

So when using your detector around the metal slide and swing sets where the goods might be hiding im getting reading from the the slides and swings. I've turned the sensetiveity down and it still seems to be hitting.. Is there anything that i can do to change this or to make this better?? or am i just out of luck when it comes to this??

Get a 4" coil. You can get really close to all that stuff with it, as well as under benches that your stock coil sees above it.

If you have a 4" coil it is perfect for this.
They are pretty cheap to buy aftermarket if you need one.
I use the 8" in some tot lots when I come across them swinging my F2, because I am too lazy to change it, most times.

A trick is turn down the sense, you should still get good depth, and swing slow near big metal.
If there is a target near a post you should still hear a telltale double beep.
Patton says moving slow from further away straight in to the post will also work.
Still listen for that double beep.

This works better on my Compadre, but I have had success with the F2 and the large coil with this technique, too.

Also, don't use disc in tot lots.
I picked up a clasp from a thin chain in the chips and the chain itself was jumpy, but the clasp came in as a solid 06 iron which is why I found it.
Really small gold might come in as iron, too

The thing is i was using the 4inch.. Which i love so far. I'm going to go back today sometime and see what i can do and see if i'm able to get it working right..

If you have a 4" coil it is perfect for this.
They are pretty cheap to buy aftermarket if you need one.
I use the 8" in some tot lots when I come across them swinging my F2, because I am too lazy to change it, most times.

A trick is turn down the sense, you should still get good depth, and swing slow near big metal.
If there is a target near a post you should still hear a telltale double beep.
Patton says moving slow from further away straight in to the post will also work.
Still listen for that double beep.

This works better on my Compadre, but I have had success with the F2 and the large coil with this technique, too.

Also, don't use disc in tot lots.
I picked up a clasp from a thin chain in the chips and the chain itself was jumpy, but the clasp came in as a solid 06 iron which is why I found it.
Really small gold might come in as iron, too

iron was the only thing that i desc out. I will go all and see what i can do..

iron was the only thing that i desc out. I will go all and see what i can do..

In tot lots I usually search in all metal no matter what I am swinging.

Reason 1... You will find the tiny stuff this way and chains if they are there.
Even silver chains come in real low on most detectors because the links disperse the return signal and confuse them.

Reason 2...For the privilege of being allowed to hunt these type of sites, I think it is only fair to give back and clean it out of all metal including iron bits and nails which can be rusty, sharp and dangerous for the kiddies.

Reason 3...If I do a thorough cleaning, the next time I come back it is much easier and quicker to find new drops.

In tot lots I usually search in all metal no matter what I am swinging.

Reason 1... You will find the tiny stuff this way and chains if they are there.
Even silver chains come in real low on most detectors because the links disperse the return signal and confuse them.

Reason 2...For the privilege of being allowed to hunt these type of sites, I think it is only fair to give back and clean it out of all metal including iron bits and nails which can be rusty, sharp and dangerous for the kiddies.

Reason 3...If I do a thorough cleaning, the next time I come back it is much easier and quicker to find new drops.

Finished ahunt at the tot lot yesterday and found a 7" nail 3" down.....god help the poor tot who fell on that from the swing....wow..it was nasty....and what the hell it was used for in the first place....the amount of nasty stuff i found in the tot lots they should pay a detectorist to check that stuff out....it can get some real bad stuff in there

Finished ahunt at the tot lot yesterday and found a 7" nail 3" down.....god help the poor tot who fell on that from the swing....wow..it was nasty....and what the hell it was used for in the first place....the amount of nasty stuff i found in the tot lots they should pay a detectorist to check that stuff out....it can get some real bad stuff in there

And bullets.
Can't tell you how many spent and live ones I have found in these things.
I have no idea why, either.

Cut chain links

Something I frequently find in tot lots are the cut chain links. When they adjust the swings they just throw them in the sand/chips. Those suckers are sharp where they have been cut. steve in so az

Damp wood chips in low light kill me. I wind up sifting every handful of chips under my coil. I keep reminding myself to bring a small light.

I find myself running the 8" coil in totlots too just becuase I was scanning the area around the totlot and jumped in after the kiddos left. I hate going in while they are playing, parents give the stink-eye and the kids (loveem to death) are so inquisitive they can get in the way. I end up giving away all my clad finds too! :lol: So when running the 8" I generally give a 10"+ variance to the poles otherwise I will get lots of Zinc and big number hits which i will assume are the posts.

Back
Top Bottom