Check my map

Jason

Elite Member
This is a crude map I have drawn on a old home site near where I live. Has an old gravel road going to the barns. The barns are all that remains. The house may have been moved or it burned down. There is a definate clearing where I think the house may have been, and lloks as though the main drive was through the middle as iff the drive was lined by trees. The smaller barn is just a barn, the larger one is a stable. They are very old and falling apart.The trees are huge Oaks, I'm sure they are over 100 years old. Based on this map, what areas would you start your search? I have permission. This is not to scale. The site is massive and will take a long time to search. I just need a game plan, and don't know where to start. Any ideas? There are open fields all around it and I have been seeing earth moving equipment in the fields and surveyors. I'm afraid it will be torn down shortly to make room for development.

Attachments

• Map2.JPG
    Map2.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 237
Jason said:
This is a crude map I have drawn on a old home site near where I live. Has an old gravel road going to the barns. The barns are all that remains. The house may have been moved or it burned down. There is a definate clearing where I think the house may have been, and lloks as though the main drive was through the middle as iff the drive was lined by trees. The smaller barn is just a barn, the larger one is a stable. They are very old and falling apart.The trees are huge Oaks, I'm sure they are over 100 years old. Based on this map, what areas would you start your search? I have permission. This is not to scale. The site is massive and will take a long time to search. I just need a game plan, and don't know where to start. Any ideas? There are open fields all around it and I have been seeing earth moving equipment in the fields and surveyors. I'm afraid it will be torn down shortly to make room for development.
I would start in the clearing where the trees are spaced wide apart. Get an aerial shot of the area from your university/datamil. You can maybe get a better idea if you see it as it was years ago with the house on it. lOTS OF LUCK!!

I just looked at an ariel from TerraServer. It's only a few years old, so not much help.

Jason, start at the oak tree closest to the house and work your way towards the house. Many social activities were held outside under the shade of an old tree, and many people had tables and ate outside for large meals. Also trees are a favorite hangout for kids.

Also sit under the tree for a few moments and try to step back in time and see what was going on in your mind. Where was the outhouse? Where was the garden? where was the clothesline? Was there a swing on this tree? Where was the bottle dump? etc.

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 232
Jason, don't overlook the mailbox which would have been at the end of the road. They used to leave postage for the mailman. Rob

This is in Madison MS. I'm afraid that I will run out of time. There are open, flat fields all around this site. Everytime I drive by it there are tractors, big concrete drain pipes, serveyors, and littls flags collection in one corner of the field. This area has been developed at an alarming pace recently. Just down the road is a new garden center, Walmart, Lowes, and a movie theater. This place will probably be a mall shortly.

Oh yeah, I know that site. I have those maps of the Big Black. It's another one of my research projects. I recently met a person that owns property there. He gave me permission to hunt. He said he was surprised that I asked. Appearantly several people MD there every weekend without asking.

I wouldn't overlook the area across the gravel path from the barns. looks like you have a good size clearing there with lots of trees around. Might have been a nice park like setting for big family picnics and reunions.

I would most definitely go around the house and ALL the trees first though. Those 100 year old tress may have been climbing trees for some kids years ago. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom