Batteries?

IASearchSquad

Hey all, I'm just getting back into detecting after a short break. I've got an AT Pro en route and can't wait. I used to use regular AA's in my old Ace 350 but was hoping for some battery advice going forward. Are re-chargables the way to go or just get good lithium-ion?

An help is greatly appreciated.

IASS

Hey all, I'm just getting back into detecting after a short break. I've got an AT Pro en route and can't wait. I used to use regular AA's in my old Ace 350 but was hoping for some battery advice going forward. Are re-chargables the way to go or just get good lithium-ion?

An help is greatly appreciated.

IASS

The RnB battery pack is great but pricey:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQADE2...t=&hvlocphy=1026339&hvtargid=pla-305360473814

Contact a sponsor on the forum and they can probably hook you up with a better price.

Personally, I use EBL 2800 duwble AA's and they've worked great for me.
https://www.amazon.com/EBL-2800mAh-Rechargeable-Batteries-Battery/dp/B00M2RA8XS

If you go this ^ route, shop around on Ebay for 4 AA's with a quick charger. I think I paid under $20 for both batteries and charger.

Seems like rechargeable batteries don't last as long as alkaline does.
Lith batteries last 3× longer but pricey.

The rate at which ATP uses up batteries depends on how much noise comes through the headphones or speaker.. I've noticed batteries last longer hunting quiet sand compared to thick shore iron..

I've had good luck with the Menard's brand of alkalines.. Great price...

<°)))>{

Yeah I use the cheap Alkalines in my Pro with no problems...I doubt I could keep a set of rechargables around here in the house without somebody taking them for some other thing...I keep a 48 pack of cheapos in my detecting rig and all is well with the World...

There are opinions (and some superstitions) on every side of your question. My choice is rechargeables. They do not power the detector as long as non-rechargeabls, but they will power it for more than an 8 hour hunt - which is more than long enough. For me it is simply a question of whether to spend a few bucks more once to buy the charger and rechargeable batteries up front, in order to not have to buy any batteries for years in the future. Rechargeable batteries can be recharged hundreds, if not thousands, of times.

HH & GL

If I am not mistaken, alkaline AA batteries have a resting voltage of 1.5 volts while rechargeable AA batteries have a resting voltage of 1.2 volts. In my mind, using fully charged rechargeable batteries is like starting out with alkaline batteries that are already 20% depleted. My AT Pro seems to perform better with fresh alkaline batteries so I use alkaline, and I start most hunts with a fresh set. The batteries that I remove from the AT Pro end up in remote controls or other, less power hungry devices.

This is just my take on the matter.

Great feedback everyone. I picked up some alkalines for now and will see how they do. Now I just need the detector to get here. I am learning patience with every day I wait!

I picked up two sets of Duracell rechargeable batteries one set for the detector and the other set is always charged. I use the ACE 400 and they have worked out well for me all this season. I believe it has saved me a lot of money on batteries.

When i started detecting, one of my first detectors was a Teknetics 8500. It and my Tek 9000 both used 14 AA batteries. They came with rechargeable batteries but sometimes I would be about a mile from my car and they would go dead all at once. Regular batteries (Heavy duty batters worked fine with them) would sort of taper off so I could tell when they were getting low. Maybe they have improved since then but I will never trust rechargeable batteries again. When you get old you get set in your ways and go by past experiences.

I got a set of Durcell rechargables out of one of my kids toys 3 years ago. Still going strong, after about a year of buying batteries every month I got sick of it. Not noticed any difference besides it will drop to about 1/2 charge on the meter quicker then with alkies. Still get 10 or 12 hours out of it with out issue and most of my hunts are only 2-3 tops so thats more than enough for me. Have better uses for my clad than buying more batteries.

This thread would be incomplete without an endorsement of Panasonic's Eneloop batteries! Get Eneloops, and a smart charger that charges each cell individually, not in sets of two or more. The smart charger that Panasonic packages with their Eneloops is okay, but there are better analyzer/conditioning smart chargers available. Fast chargers shorten the life of rechargeable batteries (you don't get something for nothing, there is a price for quick charging).

Buy once, cry once. Eneloops can be recharged hundreds of times, saving one lots of money over "alkaleaks". BTW, never, NEVER store alkaline batteries in your detector for longer than a month, as they are notorious for leaking, and no one needs to deal with that hassle. So if you are one who only detects during certain months of the year and uses alkaline batteries, be sure you remove them before putting your machines up for the season.

This thread would be incomplete without an endorsement of Panasonic's Eneloop batteries! Get Eneloops,.

Just to add on to this, I have used Eneloop for quite a while now and they work great. I switched from the normal ones (White) to the Pro (Black) and they last way longer.

No rechargeable batteries can beat Eneloops. I own probably 16 AA's and 12 AAA's in all kinds of stuff around the house plus my detectors. No other batteries can withstand anything close to 2000 charge cycles. No memory effects, holds most of it's charge forever, and a charged set has at least 3/4 the life of store bought throw aways. 4,8 or 12 packs with a charger can be bought on Amazon. I haven't bought a throw away battery in years have saved a fortune to boot!

Back
Top Bottom