HELP.......Back & leg pain

SkiWhiz

Elite Member
As many of you know I went from dairy farming to working in a factory. When I was farming there were times I would be sitting down driving a tractor, taking a break whenever I wanted, etc. now at the factory I am on my feet 8 hours/day except a 15 minute break and a half hour for lunch. I have never had any back issues until now, my lower back hurts most of the time at times almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Also the arch on my right foot aches like a toothache. I have worked at my new factory job for about a month and figured I would get used to being on my feet but there are times while working that my legs feel like they are burning for lack of a better description. I bought a decent pair of sneakers, the fella in the store told me that Saucony have good support so I got a pair, always wanted to try Nike but I have wide feet and they are too narrow. I was just curious if anyone might have any ideas what I might do/try besides any medication for pain,etc. Almost forgot I did buy some inserts for my sneakers that suppose to help people with high arches. First I have ever had back & leg pains and I wouldn't wish either on anyone. A couple other things I forgot to mention, many days I am lifting/carrying fairly heavy lights that I build from one place to another and I think that I out more weight on my right leg while working in my spot on the assembly line.

As many of you know I went from dairy farming to working in a factory. When I was farming there were times I would be sitting down driving a tractor, taking a break whenever I wanted, etc. now at the factory I am on my feet 8 hours/day except a 15 minute break and a half hour for lunch. I have never had any back issues until now, my lower back hurts most of the time at times almost enough to bring tears to my eyes. Also the arch on my right foot aches like a toothache. I have worked at my new factory job for about a month and figured I would get used to being on my feet but there are times while working that my legs feel like they are burning for lack of a better description. I bought a decent pair of sneakers, the fella in the store told me that Saucony have good support so I got a pair, always wanted to try Nike but I have wide feet and they are too narrow. I was just curious if anyone might have any ideas what I might do/try besides any medication for pain,etc. Almost forgot I did buy some inserts for my sneakers that suppose to help people with high arches. First I have ever had back & leg pains and I wouldn't wish either on anyone.

You can get one if those lower back braces might help. I bought this pair of sketches men's wide and they are the best shoes ever literally like walking on a cloud they also are springy so you can run in them and the heels are springy enough that the shoe does all the work. Trust me with my wide shoe knowledge I wear size 16 wides.

You can get one if those lower back braces might help. I bought this pair of sketches men's wide and they are the best shoes ever literally like walking on a cloud they also are springy so you can run in them and the heels are springy enough that the shoe does all the work. Trust me with my wide shoe knowledge I wear size 16 wides.
Thanks Chris. Size 16 :wow:, feet that big you must toss out the shoes and wear the box ;):lol:. Just teasing.

Sketchers sneakers have got to be the worst shoes ever made,those dang things hurt my feet to no end,went to Wally World and bought those cheap $20 Starters Sneakers and what a world of difference,it's either them or Nike and nothing else and yeah the back braces help tremendously.

Sketchers sneakers have got to be the worst shoes ever made,those dang things hurt my feet to no end,went to Wally World and bought those cheap $20 Starters Sneakers and what a world of difference,it's either them or Nike and nothing else and yeah the back braces help tremendously.

Well rich the sketchers I got were a little bit more expensive and have some kind of soft inserts and man I can stand for 5 hours in em and be fine. Best of Luck skiwhiz.

Do all the other stuff if it will help, but also do this.
I used to stand on my feet for long periods doing home shows and this works.
Epsom salts.
If you are into baths, draw a hot one and follow directions on the box.
For my feet I heated up water as hot as I could stand it, threw in a bunch of this stuff along with some rubbing alcohol in a big plastic container and dunked my feet in for 20 minutes to 1/2 hour.
You can soak some towels and wrap it around your legs if they hurt, also.
The salts will be absorbed though your skin and go right to your muscles and sooth them.
Like a miracle cure, really...try it and see.

My feet were hurting so bad once the first time I tried this, then one soaking foot bath later and I felt I could go dancing like I was Fred Astair.

Does your work have those mats down where you stand, the anti-fatigue stand-on mats? Sounds like they ought to. Of course asking for something like that a month in may make you stand out not in a great way, which sucks, but they, your employer does have a responsibility to its employees IMO.

There are also special show stores that well walking / work shoes for folks that stand a lot (nurses, etc.) might be worth looking into.

Best of luck Ski.

Edit to add: shoot for $10 bucks, assuming you have a workstation primarily yours: http://m.harborfreight.com/4-piece-...t-94635.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

You may have some osteoarthritis. I suggest that you see your doctor--they may have you get some x-rays to see.

If the store shoe inserts don't give you relief, you can get custom made orthotics. Another option would be to try a pair of Birkenstock shoes. They are ugly, but from what I've heard, they are extremely comfortable. If you have to have an athletic type shoe, look into New Balance, they have wide widths.

GL & HH

Plantar fascitis?

Go to a podiatrist and get checked. If so, the exercise for therapy is to lay a baseball at on the floor and roll it back and forth with the soles of your feet. The doc will send you to an orthopedic shoe store and they will sell you an insole with a bump on it.
At least they did this for me. At a "certain age" the tendons in our feet start to give out and the foot hurts like the dickens.

Have your wife press the bottom of your feet with her finger tip. If she can't find the sore spot, but your foot still hurts, you probably have Pf.

Hope this helps, & HH

John Morton
"Poster boy for all these "certain age" problems".

Sometimes it's old age and gravity. Working in a warehouse we weren't allowed to sit down on a 10 hr work day. Only time you could sit down was to eat lunch for a half an hour. The human back is a disaster waiting to happen. 4 legged creatures don't have to worry about an s shaped spine just to walk upright.

Foot pain

I have been working on hard concrete warehouse floors since 1990, my feet got so they were in constant pain mainly the heel. It really hurt to walk and we were on our feet all day except lunch and breaks. A few years back i tried Sketcher shape-ups (did not loose any weight) but in a short time my heel pain was gone . I even bough several from them in wide wide. I know they have dropped much of the line (due to law suits over weight loss claims) but they still carry a Sketcher shape-up mens work shoe on their site Sketchers.com.

Does your work have those mats down where you stand, the anti-fatigue stand-on mats? Sounds like they ought to. Of course asking for something like that a month in may make you stand out not in a great way, which sucks, but they, your employer does have a responsibility to its employees IMO.

There are also special show stores that well walking / work shoes for folks that stand a lot (nurses, etc.) might be worth looking into.

Best of luck Ski.

Edit to add: shoot for $10 bucks, assuming you have a workstation primarily yours: http://m.harborfreight.com/4-piece-...t-94635.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided
Yes there is a mat that I stand on I, not sure if it is for our well being or for decreasing static electricity. When we are building the lights we have to wear wrist straps, 9 times out of 10 I am the one testing them... I have to wire them and do a functional test, a ground and hi pot test, then have to carry them to a rack to be burned in for an hour. Never weighed the lights but they get heavy by the end of the day. On a good note I am one of the few that doesn't have to wear a smock while I work (them things make you really warm), not allowed to wear a smock doing the hi pot test as there is 3,000 volts going to the light and that could give a man a tingle,the smocks attract the static so them an high voltage don't mix well. We just finished an order of 114 lights for the arena where the Ottawa Senators play. Thanks everyone for your reply's.

Attachments

• CTC-Arena-night-v2-1.jpg
    CTC-Arena-night-v2-1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 285
  • Ephesus Light.jpg
    Ephesus Light.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 153
Back
Top Bottom