Bullets on the beach

Sparky Evans

Hi Guys,

Found a couple of rounds this morning on the beach - the bases are pretty crusty so I can’t see any identifying marks - as they are old I don’t want to mess with them to much in case they are unstable - any advice as to possible caliber or ID for them - to me they look like revolver rounds rather than Rifle or Automatic pistol, or any advice how to clean the bottom of the round to see the makers marks?

Attachments

• D3485B49-C9A6-46EF-97AE-34D6047046B5.jpg
    D3485B49-C9A6-46EF-97AE-34D6047046B5.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 338
light brushing on the bottoms with a toothbrush should be ok. If they are center fired, you'll see a primer, just avoid heat/friction/strikes on that. Without any dimensions, they look like 38s.

I stuck the base in a bit of CLR for 15 mins and it cleaned the base up enough to see the markings - it’s a Federal 38 Special - from what I can find this round is for revolvers and initially created for law enforcement

Attachments

• 612D705D-3ADC-4772-B7B6-5436949F4EC4.jpeg
    612D705D-3ADC-4772-B7B6-5436949F4EC4.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 339
Good to see it cleaned up. It's a pretty common revolver round for the US. Many of the "police only" designations on our firearms stuff is just to get around manufacturing laws.

If you don't want to keep the rounds for any reason drop by your local police dept. They'll take them and despose of them properly.

I will be dropping them off this week and here in Australia guns are not common and Pistols even more uncommon. Technically I am breaking the law having them as I don’t have a gun license.

More than likely the'll be happy you brought them in for safe disposal before someone got hurt.
It makes you wonder how they got there with not that many people owning firearms.

I find ammo all the time at beach parks everywhere. I know I’ve probably lost a round or two coming back from a hunting trip reaching into my pocket. In bad neighborhoods ammo drops common from local gangs. Ammo at beach can be discarded ammo. Some military if area was used for training in past 100 yrs.
Put into perspective guessing there is currently minimum 10-20 billion rounds of ammo just in public hands in the USA. Easy for a couple rounds to be dropped just like coins.

Throw them away, bury them... sad you have to worry about possessing them, even if you intend on turning them in.

I am lucky.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In lieu of a simple bullet puller, I'd take a pair of pliers and wiggle the bullets out.

Back
Top Bottom