My First Whorl?

Diggum

Elite Member
I went to an old 49er gold camp area. Didn't find a lot (well, LOTS of iron cans, bands, etc.), but I did find two square nails and this lead doo-dad. At first I thought it might be a trade weight, but there's no writing on it, so I wonder if this could be a spindle whorl. What say you, folks? Is this my first whorl?

Note: Toasted buff is for size reference, and was not found with the lead piece.

Attachments

• 20201013_110935.jpg
    20201013_110935.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 471
  • 20201013_111002.jpg
    20201013_111002.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 448
  • 20201013_112608.jpg
    20201013_112608.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 437
I'm no expert, but it seems a bit small for a spindle whorl? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can comment.

I'm no expert, but it seems a bit small for a spindle whorl? Hopefully someone with more knowledge can comment.

Thank you, DougF. I can't think of what else it might be. I'm open to suggestions!

I went to an old 49er gold camp area. Didn't find a lot (well, LOTS of iron cans, bands, etc.), but I did find two square nails and this lead doo-dad. At first I thought it might be a trade weight, but there's no writing on it, so I wonder if this could be a spindle whorl. What say you, folks? Is this my first whorl?

Note: Toasted buff is for size reference, and was not found with the lead piece.

I don't think it's too far off size wise, but I have never seen one of that design..Over here in the UK, they are typically "biconical" without that "waist" like on yours..But other designs do come up, so it might be worth enquiring with a local museum?

I found the whorl below a few weeks ago..

Attachments

• IMG_20200810_135040~2.jpg
    IMG_20200810_135040~2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20200810_135320~2.jpg
    IMG_20200810_135320~2.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 344
I don't think it's a whorl. If I'm not mistaken they fell out of use by the time The US was colonized. My guess is some kind of home made fishing weight. Love old relics like that though.

I don't think it's a whorl. If I'm not mistaken they fell out of use by the time The US was colonized. My guess is some kind of home made fishing weight. Love old relics like that though.

Whorls were still in common use to the late 1700's in the UK, but I suppose that could be down to how common sheep farming was over here??

I did wonder whether it was a fishing weight myself, but the shape seems a bit intricate for that,???

We also get an item that looks like a smaller version of the biconical whorl, and they come fairly frequently...I have seen them described as fishing weights, hem weights or loom weights depending on who you speak to...I am wondering if the item of the OP is actually a look weight of some sort?

Whorls were still in common use to the late 1700's in the UK, but I suppose that could be down to how common sheep farming was over here??

I did wonder whether it was a fishing weight myself, but the shape seems a bit intricate for that,???

We also get an item that looks like a smaller version of the biconical whorl, and they come fairly frequently...I have seen them described as fishing weights, hem weights or loom weights depending on who you speak to...I am wondering if the item of the OP is actually a look weight of some sort?

Thanks, all, for weighing in (no pun intended). I looked up "look weight", but the images that came up were mostly NSFW. :laughing:

To me, this thing looks like the bottom end of a black powder rifle round, but why would someone have done that? Fishing weight might make the most sense...

I keep looking at this and think I have an idea. It maybe the bottom section of a .69 caliber minnie ball. I'm thinking they cut it off above the ring, That would explain the conical shape of the bottom as well. Plus if you cut it just right it would give you the hole as well. The question is why still though.

Back
Top Bottom