Best low cost pinpointer

AquaHunter

Forum Supporter
I got my first detector yesterday and started using it today. The detector works very well, but locating small objects by hand is not fun. I really need a pinpointer.

What is the best pinpointer for under $60?

Cough up another 20 bucks and you could get a lightly used name brand PP. A good pinpointer isn't cheap, a cheap pinpointer isn't good.

Don't go cheap, you will regret it. If you go Garret, buy from an authorized dealer and not on the 'bay' since there are to many counterfeits. One of the lower price one is the Quest Xpointer (yellow version). I like it better than the Garrett but not as durable.

There are two steps on PPs. Those under $80 are fair to ok and are A LOT BETTER THAN NOTHING. All of these are about the same so buy the $20 garret clone. Then there are those over $80. They work best and it’s a personal choice. If you’re on a budget then you can get them used from $50-$90. I like the TRX and f-pulse/tek-point.

Last edited:
If you get a black one use colorful duct tape or you may loose it.
I have a older garret pro still works great old black version...I lost it twice out in the middle of fields until I got smart enough and put alternating yellow and white stripes...I said at the time they should make these things bright orange or hot pink about five years later they woke up.

I don't like the fakes, but, since you're on a budget and I fully understand that, I'd go with one of the "clones" of the carrot. You can get one for 30 bucks or so and it will be better than nothing...BUT, take that other 30 bucks you have budgeted and put it aside, and save the clad you find, as well as whatever else you can save during the season and get a carrot or a tek-point. You could also look into a used one. They show up on the classifieds here.

Check out Amazon, and take a look at the reviews. Look for 4 stars and up, and check for a LOT of reviews. It's easy to get 5 stars with 3 reviews. Look at the reviews themselves to see if they sound fake (you can use faksespot.com to check it for you for fake sounding reviews as well)

For example, this pointer has 4+ stars, and 266 reviews.

link

BUT, it gets rated a "D" by fakespot, which translates to only 2.5 stars

The Deteknix X-Pointer for $89 new, will be your best deal for the money. It will be no time before you find that extra $30 in clad. You might go with the Whites Bullseye II. It is just outside your budget, $69.95 new. Depth will be only about an inch. Being a Whites, they will back it up with a good warranty.

I own most all of the pin pointers. My Bullseye II has never been in the field. Out of warranty by several years. Brand new otherwise. It came with a detector bundle.

You should really think of buying a well kept used one. I have seen some of the favorites pop up for $75-$95. If you stick with this hobby, you will never miss the extra bucks over your $60 budget. A good pin pointer IMPO, is a necessity. I hope saying that doesn't set off another argument.

Seriously, you'll find enough clad quickly to cover an extra $30.

Everyone, thanks for the advice.

I ended up with the Garrett Carrot (new from Amazon). I like the feature that if you leave it on without any button presses for 5 minutes, it puts out a beep so you can find it. Being orange is a big plus too.

I tend to lose things, so being able to find the pinpointer is a huge plus.

Now I've got to go find some valuable stuff to help pay for it when the credit card bill comes....

I have

A used Garrett PRO Pin Pointer , ill PM you. Works great , just cleaned it up, good condition.

Attachments

• P1010079.JPG
    P1010079.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 2,415
Last edited:
I got the orange Garrett Pro Pointer AT.

I practiced with it today in my backyard and it made finding items much easier. Very happy with it. Also bought a stretchable lanyard so I wont lose it.

Besides the usual garbage (nails, etc.) I found three items I cannot identify. They all look very old. I also found two hot rocks. So far I have only covered about 10% of the ground. Curious what else is still down there.

I've had 2 The Deteknix X-Pointers nd IMHO....they blow the Carrot away!

Fantastic pinpointers and wayyy cheaper than the Carrot.

Also it's a PI, doesn't false, unlike a LOT of Carrots!

Marr

I've had 2 The Deteknix X-Pointers nd IMHO....they blow the Carrot away!

Fantastic pinpointers and wayyy cheaper than the Carrot.

Also it's a PI, doesn't false, unlike a LOT of Carrots!

Marr

My X-Pointer has never skipped a beat. I just tested it, and it hasn't lost any depth(in air) after owning it for years. All of my Garretts I have collected over the years have diminished. Garretts will warrant defects. They are slow to accept that a unit doesn't see as deeply as when it was fresh. Losing .5-.75 inches is big when you reference it against sub 3" detection out of the box. jm2c

Hi N6BY
The Garrett Carrot is a good first choice. I’m glad you didn’t go with one of the under $30 clones. Teamed up with the Nox 800 it would just slow you down since those clones can only detect about an inch. Like others have said, my original Carrott has not faired very well and is losing volume and power after only 2 years. So keep your paperwork!

Martin_V3i is right about the Quest/Deteknix X Pointer. It can easily detect past 2”, is plenty loud, durable and light weight. My only complaint with mine is it is a battery hog.

My favorite is the Fisher F Pulse/Tek Pointer. Really deep 3”+ solid pinpointer, good warranty and a PI.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom