Hurricane Sandy Detecting effects?

Teendigger

Would sandy be a good or bad thing for metal detecting? I live in Nj and ever year i got to ocean beach for a week. The houses on the beach were totally destroyed and tons of sand was carried out into the ocean. Would this be a good thing? I'm not sure if it made all the old stuff hidden deeper closer up to the surface since a lot of the sand or would it have taken almost everything out to sea with it?

You would think that Superstorm Sandy was helpful to detecting but it depends on the beach. The beaches tha were really wiped away such as Bayhead or Manasquan are 15 maybe 20 feet lower than before. I think that everything got wiped away. And many beaches sounth of that aren't open and by the looks of them won't be until Memorial Day. Where are you headed?

Just noticed "Ocean Beach" which is well known to me. I believe still not open but will keep a look out for conditions.

I was on the beach in Sea Isle City NJ and didn't find anything but a nail at the boardwalk entrance. Even buried a penny to make sure it wasn't my Ace 250.
Larry

I hit some beaches up this way and did well. I hunted were the dunes used to be. On one there was nothing left but a 4 ft bluff and a clay layer just under the sand. Most silver I found in one spot. All sitting on top of the clay.

I'll have to take your word for it but I would love to see for myself.

The OP stated he lived in New Jersey, so I assume he was asking about detecting in NJ and not in other states ..
Overall Sandy has hurt detecting in NJ as it did too much damage causing beach closures, trash and home debris and emergency replenishments of fill sand ..

Have people found things ?? Of course they have cause there are hundreds/thousands hunting, but overall hunting has not been as good had we just had normal fall /winter storms and erosion ..

I hope that explains it better for those hunting Jersey ..

Overall I think its bad for detecting. I took my prizm 6t to spring lake and detected where the boardwalk used to be. The only good thing I found was a wheat penny. I picked up TONS of junk though. Also there was clad. The beaches are strewn with junk, Then some other areas have nothing at all.

Yeah pretty much every beach has been sanded in by now and most have alot of iron and trash from the debris

Aw. I was really excited to go detecting at the beach this year... I think I might also check the streets to. A lot of sand ended up in the streets too

If you do not try yourself you will never really know. I have been successful before as have many others that have hunted beaches that we were told were "hunted out." However with that said....our beaches here in FL after a hurricane sometime have more trash than good target, but I do go check it out for myself. Each persons hunting skill are different.

Is there a trick to hunting the beach now? I went yesterday to Seven Presidents Beach and there were only 2 cuts but NO good targets in it. I got 56 cents and a dog tag. Not really any targets at all, I walked about a football field sized area and would get 1 iron target and maybe 1 coin.

I think that we might have to wait another century since everything has been washed away. We might not know until next winters Nor Easter open things up. Not many beaches down my end are open to check.

Back
Top Bottom