Large copper, no,no...THE OTHER KIND! Pic Heavy

Steve77

Elite Member
First, a bit of history for the area this was found(Quoted from Wikipedia):
"Lakeview was first settled in 1858 and platted in 1867 by Albert S. French, a settler from New York. It had been a Native American camp site. French named it for its location on the west side of Tamarack Lake. A post office was established on October 7, 1867, with Hiram S. Barton as its first postmaster. It was a station on the Chicago, Saginaw and Canada Railroad in 1879."
" As of the census of 2010, there were 1,007 people, 438 households, and 259 families residing in the village."

Due to being a fairly young location, I have set my metal detecting goals accordingly. Finding pre 1900 coins is rare, wheat cents aren't even all that common here. My "Fairly attainable" bucket list coins are things like a Trime, silver dollar, pre 1900 pocket spill, etc.

So this week while detecting a location that I have been to several times before with a Tesoro silver Umax and numerous times with an AT pro with 5x8 coil, I finally had enough time to visit this spot again, however this time could be different since I was returning for the first time since buying the Nox 600.

This place is exceptionally trashy, having had thousands of old cans, foil and nails buried everywhere. It has been a party spot/ camping spot for decades, possibly predating trash cans, judging by the amount of plain old rubbish buried there!

I spent the trip to this spot a bit on the gloomy side because before I left I had planned on trying a 3 tone program to mimic the more familiar audio of an ATP. Well, I discovered that in my haste and thrift to get my new detector last season, I opted for the 600 instead of the 800, and now wouldn't be able to adjust my tone bins the way I had hoped. I had myself convinced during my drive that I probably made the wrong selection when I pulled the trigger on the 600. But, muttering under my breath while detecting still seemed like a better option than going back home.

So I spent several hours digging an enormous array of the obligatory trash, and a few modern pennies. Eventually I found an area that produced a wheat cent and a silver rosie among all the iron. I was pretty impressed, but even after scouring that area, nothing else turned up. I started wandering and eventually found a couple more wheats, and then the Barber dime! OK, I know this isn't eye popping, but around here, that is a story that gets mileage for a month! So I start gridding the area the best I can among all the saplings that bounce my coil every direction except the intended one. I decided to be lazy and move into an area of bare dirt above a fairly steep bank and got an ear shattering 39 with crisp clear tone and only 3 inches deep. Sounded good from multiple directions, but also suspiciously similar to a steel can with the rim on the end still intact. I obviously dig it even though I already have enough cans for the day. Maybe some day, digging trash pays off, right? Isn't that why we spend our time and treasure doing this? So i dig in the fairly soft root laden soil excruciatingly carefully, because you never want to scratch a coin/can lid! I finally find a big solid chunk that is stuck pretty well between the roots, but the pinpointer isn't locating anything else. After A few seemingly wasted moments later, This thing sees the light of day for the first time in at least a couple Millenia!

QIXOyIm.jpg

I never take dirt pics. I knew what is was as soon as the dirt fell away! My daughter and I binge watch arrowhead/projectile point/artifact videos often and it has paid off. Here I was, detecting alone, nobody to see what just happened! One of the only times I've ever recognized the need to document what I had just found.

AvgANlo.jpg

I knew I needed to tell someone, I was dumbfounded, how naive(sort of) to assume that the only metal history in this tiny town would be from it's modern inhabitants, since the logging days! Maybe it's just me, but I see the occasional Copper Culture artifact shared here on friendly, and forget that nobody "Expects" to find these things. Maybe we tell ourselves, "Anything is Possible", but anytime that thought crossed my mind, I secretly knew I was lying to myself.
Yeah, this spot had a bit of local lore as being of significance to the indigenous people, but they really only had stone tools. Copper was impossibly rare and valuable, how could anyone be irresponsible enough to leave anything like that behind?

h9YLDEL.jpg

I don't know, but it happened! Never have I wondered so much about the story behind a find as I will now. What did this cost? How many people owned it? When exactly? What tasks was it used for, exactly? What did the person feel when they realized it was gone?

VAk4Ndd.jpg

I pondered what "I" would do with it. Be secretive and keep it? Sell it? No, it will be donated to our local museum. I offered years ago to give them anything with exceptional historic significance.

mj7U3Nq.jpg

To me this is definitely significant! It will be donated to the museum in my daughters' names, I think it will be a great learning opportunity for them!

mCONXrv.jpg

In the photo above, you can see the "fluted" profile, meaning this was likely made to be hafted onto a shaft!

rIleqd5.jpg

Enough talk from me about this beautiful Native American Copper Culture "Celt". Please enjoy, I know I have!

znXEc6g.jpg

3XbM7Uk.jpg

eUsL4V2.jpg

YfpyyUL.jpg

Amazing find, terrific decision sharing it with others. Well done! Every time I find float copper it reminds of that day I dug mine. Donated to Kenosha museum.

Fantastic find. If they weren't such a rare find, I'd travel up that way just to search for anything from the copper culture. I love that stuff. Nice that you gave it to the museum. Who knows, might get you a good spot or two.

Now this is mind blowing!!!! Congrats on a once in a lifetime find! Also congrats on the donating it to a museum. You hear of bronze axes from Europe, but a copper one from the "new world"? Just proves that it is not all that new!

That is a very interesting find and great story! Do you have some preferred links to areas where I can read more about the Copper Culture?

Awesome find! The other digs ain't too shabby either, but they'll have to be OK in the back seat of this haul. Any identifiable copper culture piece is a big one on my wishlist. Your museum now has a really good one. They should be able to produce an illustration of what it would have looked like, mounted, and how it would have been used...for a proper display.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I am still amazed to be able to have found something this interesting! I suppose it will likely be the peak of my metal detecting career!

Awesome write up and pics of that White Buffalo!

I appreciated The excitement and wonder in your post!...Yours are the first humans hands to hold that point in who knows how long? 6000yrs? If only it could talk! About Mammoths and Sabre Toothed Tigers and whatnot...Sweet Shards of Narsil! What a find! :bowdown::bowdown:

On another note, What's up with your poor hands? What do you do for a living? Do you own a pet store and hand clean the piranha tank or hand feed the parrots? Or do you work maintenance and change sanding belts at a furniture factory while they are still running? I'm guessing piranhas, or baby sharks, or a lamprey dentist, or a meat slicer operator down at the Deli...DAMN What great beat up hands you have there!!! :laughing:

Finding that point is cool no doubt, Donating it to a Museum in your Daughters name equally, but theres gotta be a story about your hands that bear the scars of Life! I would like to hear about that!! You Sir, are Living Life, and its written all over your hands....Strong and Honest....I bet you could bust a pair of pliers, or take a pizza out of a 400 degree oven with no mitt....

I think the person who made or used that copper point is a lot like you are, and you were meant to find it...

Last edited:
Awesome write up and pics of that White Buffalo!

I appreciated The excitement and wonder in your post!...Yours are the first humans hands to hold that point in who knows how long? 6000yrs? If only it could talk! About Mammoths and Sabre Toothed Tigers and whatnot...Sweet Shards of Narsil! What a find! :bowdown::bowdown:

On another note, What's up with your poor hands? What do you do for a living? Do you own a pet store and hand clean the piranha tank or hand feed the parrots? Or do you work maintenance and change sanding belts at a furniture factory while they are still running? I'm guessing piranhas, or baby sharks, or a lamprey dentist, or a meat slicer operator down at the Deli...DAMN What great beat up hands you have there!!! :laughing:

Finding that point is cool no doubt, Donating it to a Museum in your Daughters name equally, but theres gotta be a story about your hands that bear the scars of Life! I would like to hear about that!! You Sir, are Living Life, and its written all over your hands....Strong and Honest....I bet you could bust a pair of pliers, or take a pizza out of a 400 degree oven with no mitt....

I think the person who made or used that copper point is a lot like you are, and you were meant to find it...

You my friend, have the gift of verse!

So, My hands have certainly been many difficult places and seen tough times! As a kid, I split wood for my dad’s tree service and another tree service to earn money. In my mid teens, I got into construction work and worked in the trades until my health spiraled in my early 30s. A couple severe bouts with my autoimmune disease caused be to lose 70% of my skin and kept me hospitalized gor weeks at a time. I wasn’t able to work, so I tinkered with small engines a few hours a week just to find something to do. I found out I had cancer, and began taking treatments. I still worked on lawn mowers just for fun on days I could get around enough to go out to the shop. One hot summer day, i had just finished tuning up a mower, and in my confusion (which was fairly prominent at the time) I grabbed the mower deck while the blades were spinning. Some previous person had removed the safety overrides and I foolishly didn’t notice. Ring finger is gone all the way to the first knuckle, middle finger lost some flesh, but no bone, and the pinky lost some bone and the nail is deformed.

Now, when I metal detect, I rarely wear gloves. I find it faster and easier to dig bare hands. I cut the outline of my plug and drop the digger, the rest is done by hand if conditions allow. As you can probably guess, my hands get cut up fairly often. As those who work with their hands can probably understand, my hands are just a tool. I try to avoid permanent injuries, but the obligatory cuts and gouges are barely noticed!

Thanks for your write up, Mud! You definitely get it!

What a great find and story Steve77. From now on I'll be taking a better look at my copper finds, I've been throwing them in my copper bin for years, who knows what I've been taking to the scrap iron place!?

What a great find and story Steve77. From now on I'll be taking a better look at my copper finds, I've been throwing them in my copper bin for years, who knows what I've been taking to the scrap iron place!?

My wife told me she would have thrown it away! Finally my nerd hobby research paid off!

Hopefully you haven't pitched anything historic! I'm sure many of us have overlooked treasures thinking they were just scraps! Who knows, even I may have done the same thing at one time or another.

Great idea should've thought of that, just have pictures although can stop by visit / talk to it :lol:

I remember reading about a fella who found a cache of stone native american knife blades. He had replicas made and donated the originals. I'm curious how expensive it would be. It would take a talented artist to recreate and paint something that looked nice!

What a great find! A big congratulations!
I was especially interested in your post since I found one here in the Hudson Valley of New York some years ago. The interesting thing is the archaeologists believe that it had been traded from your area to mine. I'm going to copy and paste into this response the one I got from the archaeologist about mine which has some information for you perhaps.

Dear Gary
Judging from your photographs, yes, this does
appear to be a copper adz (and a very handsome one at that) – this is
suggested by the expanding shape in plan view, the asymmetric side view
profile, and the concave surface on one face.

Such copper adzes and gouges are relatively common in much of the Great
Lakes, especially Wisconsin, where they date roughly to between 4000 and
1500 BC (6000 and 3500 years ago). There, they are viewed as one
diagnostic of the so-called "Old Copper Culture," a Native American
lifeway that included the mining of copper that occurs naturally in
parts of the Great Lakes, in the manufacture of these tools.

In the New York region, these copper artifacts are less common but are
discovered occasionally. Parallel-sided gouges have been found in
association with Brewerton notched points, dating to circa 3000-1500 BC.
Copper adzes similar in form to yours have been found in the Champlain
basin – their age is uncertain but may be from roughly the same
timeframe. Because there are natural sources of copper in parts of the
Great Lakes, but not New York, archaeologists believe these artifacts
probably came into the region by some form of trade or exchange from
other Great Lakes groups. This interpretation is generally supported by
chemical sourcing methods that compare geologic sources of this material
with artifacts made of copper.

Can tell me
a little bit more about the circumstances of your discovery, I might be
up to give you a little more interpretive insight. – In particular,
was the artifacts found in isolation, or was it found with other
prehistoric artifacts. And, did you find this in an open plowed field or
in a wooded setting?

Sincerely,

Jon Lothrop

Jonathan C. Lothrop, Ph.D., RPA
Curator of Archaeology
New York State Museum
CEC Room 3049
Albany, NY 12230

Tel. 518-486-2992
Fax. 518-486-2034
[email protected]

Here is a link to my post about the one I found
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=167081

Absolutely fantastic. As excited as we get to find things that are just a couple hundred years old, trying to wrap your mind around the time frame on a piece like that boggles the imagination. That piece sat there in that soil perhaps as some of the last Wooly Mammoths were alive, as the Egyptians built the Pyramids, as Homer wrote the Iliad, as Athens and Sparta rose and fell, as the Roman Empire expanded and collapsed, as Jesus walked the earth and died, as the bubonic plague swept through in the middle ages, on and on and on up through the arrival of Europeans, the fur trade, the Revolutionary War, and the westward expansion. It sat in that place untouched except by its last owner, until you touched it.

You have experienced the apex of metal detecting - 4 AA batteries that powered a time machine, allowing you to be the first to touch history thousands of years old. It is truly unbelievable. Major congrats on your find and kudos on your donation in your daughters names!

Back
Top Bottom