MY best find yet !

Jeff

Ive already forgotten the dates involved but here"s what i found on 1 day at my favorite beach. Ironically it was about all i found that day too!

Attachments

• 2003_0214jewelry20050006_597.jpg
    2003_0214jewelry20050006_597.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,347
U S Navy belt buckle

I posted a pic of the buckle and a forum member posted this one back to me

part 3-- the buckle

Part 3 , the next day , back at the beach , things were quiet again and then i found another thing that kindof looked liked similar in age and ,material. IT had'nt clicked in yet that i had the second half of a "two -piece buckle"!!

th two pieces

here a look at it separated Ive been told the year is definately 1850 an he value is around $5oo!!

Typical?

epi-hunter said:
Wow, that is terrific! What an awesome find!

Excuse the ignorant question (being in Iowa I don't exactly get a lot of opportunity to beach detect), but is that kind of a find typical for a beach? When I think of beach detecting finds, I think of more modern jewelry. Did you find this in the water?
Epi hunter, no that is not typical for a beach, but also not entirely rare either. The beach i hunt is directly facing and on the Atlantic ocean. Transatlantic rowers actually usually use Orleans, massachusetts for a departation location, when they cast off for France!! What i'm getting at is that this coastline is highly prone to erosion during winter storms and the other helper here is the fact that there have been many shipwrecks along the coast here in 200 years. so although not typical , anyhing is a possibility here !! :shock:

WOW to go back and find the other half, maybe you should have purchased a lotto ticket that day because luck doenst get much better than that :D

Jeff, I found this while cruisin' a Canadian detectorists' site. Looks a lot like one side of your 2-piece buckle find.

Now that is an awesome find!! With the ever shifting sand, and the water constantly washing stuff up, finds like this are always possible at the beach, although not every day. Thats a really cool find, good job!!

Goes without saying, to find one half is awesome. To find the other half is almost unheard of. WAY TO GO! :wow:

.... The beach i hunt is directly facing and on the Atlantic ocean. ....

What ? You're not supposed to find those on the East coast ! Kindly mail it back to me, and all will be forgiven. Ok ? :cool3:

But seriously now , get the book by Max Bell : "California Gold Rush Belt Buckles ... and the men that wore them". Yours might be in there.

Back
Top Bottom