Safety message

Dirt Lizard

Elite Member
Hey folks, I been watching quite a few videos with people detecting without any hand protection on. Not cool at all: no: Please put your gloves on every time you hunt. I came up on quite a few nasty things in the ground including syringes, razorblades and a lot of rusty shredded metal that's just waiting to slice you wide open. Tetnus shots and stitches hurt even more. I learned my lesson.

Hey folks, I been watching quite a few videos with people detecting without any hand protection on. Not cool at all: no: Please put your gloves on every time you hunt. I came up on quite a few nasty things in the ground including syringes, razorblades and a lot of rusty shredded metal that's just waiting to slice you wide open. Tetnus shots and stitches hurt even more. I learned my lesson.

+1 , I had a couple close calls , always wear gloves
HH

I keep two pair of gloves.

I have one pair of mechanics gloves for general digging and a leather pair of gloves for tough digging. Besides scorpions we have cactus needles that dont stop poking even after the cactus dies. Now glas and can slaw can cut ya, there is bad things in the ground and makes ya wonder how that razor blade made it ways into the park. Gloves are a good idea.

You're right, I need to get some gloves! I've been lucky so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My hands are tougher for not wearing gloves.. I've also had a lot of stitches all over. But never really been hurt or worried about a find.. I've been worried that a find will cut my pouch open..

I don't blame anyone for wanting to wear them, just not for me...

I believe I have good eyesight and a pointer, and don't go blindly sifting through the dirt with my hands...

Good luck to everyone and just think and be careful..

<°)))>{

I never stick my hand in the dirt, I learned my lesson one too many times. I simply cut/flip the plug with the lesche and use a $1.00 plastic garden shovel to scoop out the goods. I go thru about 2 of those plastic shovels a year so its a cheap price to keep the hands clean and NOT cut. Haven't been cut in a long while. Be safe!

I guess digging is hard on gloves because I ended up with small holes in a couple fingertips of a pair of mechanix gloves in like 10 hunts. Next time ill try the ones dipped in rubber.

I never stick my hand in the dirt, I learned my lesson one too many times. I simply cut/flip the plug with the lesche and use a $1.00 plastic garden shovel to scoop out the goods. I go thru about 2 of those plastic shovels a year so its a cheap price to keep the hands clean and NOT cut. Haven't been cut in a long while. Be safe!

Exactly my approach also. Gloves just muddy up my detector and gear. I don't uses a plastic scoop though.

I have one pair of mechanics gloves for general digging and a leather pair of gloves for tough digging. Besides scorpions we have cactus needles that dont stop poking even after the cactus dies.

I could help but remember my Army days in Colorado when you mentioned cactus. A good pair of tweezers came in handy back then.

My hands are tougher for not wearing gloves.. I've also had a lot of stitches all over. But never really been hurt or worried about a find.. I've been worried that a find will cut my pouch open..

I believe I have good eyesight and a pointer, and don't go blindly sifting through the dirt with my hands...

<°)))>{

Same here....even hunt barefoot on the beach at night...hundreds of miles and thousands of holes going gloveless/shoeless for 7yrs with no cuts of any consequence...and, since I'm a stabber, every single coin on the dirt has to have that finger rammed down in the hole after it...the screwdriver tells me if theres any glass down in there...so..no trouble, gloves make my hands sweat.

Just saying its a preference and not a necessity ...theres so many other dangers that await a guy, a little finger cut is the least of my worries, plus, I have a few spares!:laughing:
Mud

<°)))>{

Same here my hands are a tough as leather on a cowboys hands

Same here....even hunt barefoot on the beach at night...hundreds of miles and thousands of holes going gloveless/shoeless for 7yrs with no cuts of any consequence...and, since I'm a stabber, every single coin on the dirt has to have that finger rammed down in the hole after it...the screwdriver tells me if theres any glass down in there...so..no trouble, gloves make my hands sweat.

Just saying its a preference and not a necessity ...theres so many other dangers that await a guy, a little finger cut is the least of my worries, plus, I have a few spares!:laughing:
Mud

Unprotected detects is dangerous! You can get all kinds of diseases! Please, no more unprotected detects!

;) :lol:

I don't wear gloves either. Florida dirt, is really just sand, with a little decayed organic matter mixed in. I'm not in any rush, the sandy soil and a pinpointer, really no reason to be blindly groping around, where I might get poked, scratch, or cut. It's a hobby, I just take my time, enjoy the day. I've got heavy calluses on my hands and fingers from work. Seldom get a cut or splinter at work, that draws blood, and those wood pallets can be in bad shape.

I'll admit, I'm not Mr. Safety, use the bare minimum of safety gear. Only recently got into the habit of using a seat belt while driving. Not so much to keep me safe, in an accident, but because they change the law a few years ago. It's a primary offense, and a $116 ticket (last time I got popped). Never thought seat belts make you a safer driver, or that they are even 50% effective all the time. Better to stay focused on the road, and your driving, and avoid accidents in the first place, minimize the impact if possible.

I should get a picture of one of my neighbors, mowing his lawn sometime. Now he is Mr. Safety, to the max. Doesn't have a big yard, probably spends more time dressing for the task, than it actually takes to mow. From the combat boots, to the safety goggles, and dust mask. It gets hot in Florida, I usually wear sunglasses, shorts, and flip-flops. This guy is covered completely, long pants, long sleeves, heavy material too, and gloves. Guess he's lucky not to be mowing my yard, the heat would kill him, before he got half done. I usually take a cool down break, between the front and back.

Think safety gear really depends on the individual, and the task. Think most of the time, the provide a false sense of security, which causes people to be more careless, take shortcuts, get in a rush. Gloves will reduce a lot of injuries, but won't stop everything, all the time. Just be aware there is a lot of trash and nasty things in the ground, and work cautiously.

I didnt used to wear gloves , you learn what to look for and how to carefully handle everything , feeling comfortable that you really dont need them and it will never happen to you.......and then it does. It eventually happened to me. And the problem is not just the cut or poke , but the bacteria and infection that can be found in even the cleanest soil , not to mention the sharp object itself. Its just not worth taking a risk. I now always wear gloves. Tight fitting thin fabric ones that have the rubber coating on the palms and fingers. I always hated gloves for anything because I lose sense of touch and dexterity , but these ones are enough to protect my hands yet I still have the sense of touch and dexterity , and they are cheap.

Another benefit to wearing gloves is they keep your hands clean , if you need a clean hand just pull off the glove.

I never wear gloves. I hate the lose of feel through the gloves. That includes most of the time in the winter, shoveling snow and at work etc. I have cut myself on glass etc. while detecting and tried gloves a few times, they ended up back in the car!

I never wear gloves. I hate the lose of feel through the gloves. That includes most of the time in the winter, shoveling snow and at work etc. I have cut myself on glass etc. while detecting and tried gloves a few times, they ended up back in the car!

All gloves are not equal. I really hated them too until I found the right ones. Once I found the right ones it still took a little getting used to but in no time at all they just became part of the normal routine. Now I feel naked without them while detecting , and enjoy the extra peace of mind and cleaner hands.

Back
Top Bottom