• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ctx3030 or E-trac my head is going to explode!

eculuke

Im going to take the plunge on Monday and buy one of these two machines. I have watched numerous videos. It seems almost like a 50/50 split. I have owned a minelab explorer in the past but basically will be learning all over again. I really want something to last. Besides hunting shallow streams or getting caught in the rain I wont likely be beach hunting. Looking for feedback..

Im going to take the plunge on Monday and buy one of these two machines. I have watched numerous videos. It seems almost like a 50/50 split. I have owned a minelab explorer in the past but basically will be learning all over again. I really want something to last. Besides hunting shallow streams or getting caught in the rain I wont likely be beach hunting. Looking for feedback..

Not worth the headache. If you can afford it CTX, if you can't Etrac. Look at your bank account then go buy your new detector..... Welcome to digging silver no matter which one you choose!

Now for the quick version of all the other posts your about to get! The etrac guys will tell you save the money get the etrac:roll:, the ctx guys will tell you get the ctx (we all know it's the best:lol:), then the atpro guys will surely chime in but I'm not sure what they will say because I've never pay attention to them:p. In the end it's still your decision.

Last edited:
I think you need to get an AT pro :laughing:

Just kidding. I own neither the ctx or the etrac and have never used either , but the ctx would be my pick if I could afford it.

I'd go E-Trac, since you have experience on the Explorer. I know others will disagree, and say that this doesn't matter, but it DOES, to me. Anyone who hunts Explorers for a long time will tell you that the SOUNDS are "where it's at" with those units, and those sounds were pretty well carried over to the E-Trac. While you'd have to learn new ID numbers from what your Explorer gave you, the tones would be very familiar to you, which would give you a real "leg up," in terms of the learning curve. I am an Explorer user, but have used E-Tracs that belong to friends at times at various times, and I have no trouble at all hunting the E-Trac, based on how I understand the Explorer and its tones.

On the other hand, the CTX tones are totally different, as I understand it -- and that's a big reason why I would not want to make the switch to it (though I'd consider the E-Trac). I know many CTX guys set them up to run with like four tones -- and to me, I would hate that in an FBS unit, as compared to the rich, voluminous amount of information which the Explorer's (E-Trac's) tones convey to the detectorists ears/brain. Like another poster said, the CTX users will tell you "CTX FOR SURE," but I know some guys who were very good with the E-Trac, who then went to the CTX, and actually have either sold the CTX and gone back to the E-Trac, or -- if they kept their E-trac when buying the CTX -- have now started to choose to hunt with the E-Trac more often than the CTX. NOT that I'm saying the E-Trac is "better," but I'm saying they are both top-of-the-line units, and both very capable, and some users "going back" is just proof of that.

To me, the deciding point is your past experience with the Explorer -- which will make the transition to the E-Trac (from a tones/sounds familiarity perspective) much easier for you.

Just my two cents worth.

Steve

Me having owned the Etrac and Explorer, I would stay with the Explorer.

Another very viable idea, I have to agree. Just like the E-Trac is a very capable unit when compared to the CTX, the Explorers are very capable units when compared to the E-Trac. In fact, that's the main reason I haven't switched to the E-Trac. I don't feel I am losing much, if anything, with the Explorer, and mind you this is from someone whose two main hunting partners over the past several years are both long-time E-Trac users, so I don't say that without justification...

Steve

Not worth the headache. If you can afford it CTX, if you can't Etrac. Look at your bank account then go buy your new detector..... Welcome to digging silver no matter which one you choose!

Now for the quick version of all the other posts your about to get! The etrac guys will tell you save the money get the etrac:roll:, the ctx guys will tell you get the ctx (we all know it's the best:lol:), then the atpro guys will surely chime in but I'm not sure what they will say because I've never pay attention to them:p. In the end it's still your decision.

Coin is spot on with this statement. I have owned both (not alot of hours on the Etrac but understand it, I owned an SE PRO for a few years). Like any machine in time you will learn it and make it yours. You will be successful and do well. The ctx is just for me faster and easier to swing. The balance is their, the programming is simple, the screen is easy on my eyes and the TID is much better. I did way less trash with the 3030 than the Etrac. But if you own the Etrac for awhile and groom it to your ears you can have some of the same success. Take the dive buy a 3030.

Man.....I know so many have been in this boat.....so if money is no object, then it seems like alot of have opted for the 3030.

If you get an Etrac you will one day SOON want to move up to a CTX, so why waste your money buying two detectors? Go the cheapest route and go ahead and get the CTX. Trust me... you will not regret the decision!

I would not pony up for new CTX.
Model is getting old.
A new release could come soon.

So IMO get a used se pro or etrac for now.

Right here was a nice deal..

Key word was...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=224529

IMO a good choice--- most bang for buck, yet have extreme detecting capabilities= used etrac/ se pro, used Deus, used At Pro

All the following can be had almost for the price of a new CTX.
You'll have fresh water hunting covered, dry land hunting covered, hunting in nail pits covered, dry beach hunting covered, hunting in threatening rain covered.

Now remember even a used Deus many times will have more warranty than a new CTX.

And my friend, around and in nails--- if the Minelab users including the CTX runners--- if they only knew what coins and relics were being left behind.
The old saying you don't know what you don't know applies--- unless of course you indeed say shove a Deus into a site with loads of nails/ iron where a CTX has been used a bunch.

And I'll say this.
Any site that has been hard previously by minelabs even the CTX-- if I had to pick a detector to go in behind and make some finds,,, Deus my number # 1 pick.

grrrrr..........now the deus......I guess most are trying to decide whether the features justify the extra cost for the CTX. I have to purchase from kellyco as I have some trade in credit with them. Man what a tough decision.

Model is getting old? what 3 years? Ya I agree I say buy a Etrac and wait for the newest Minelab while I dig your silver. :laughing:

Even if a newer machine is released in the next 5-7 years you will be ahead of the game, you will be learning the new language. Etrac language is obviously not the direction Minelab is going. Why not start out with the latest, instead of buying an Etrac then moving onto a 3030.

Go with the Deus. Then tell us how you like it. ;) Im thinking of trying one soon. I have owned both the etrac and the ctx. Both very good machines. You will do well with either machine as long as you get over the target. I prefer the ctx over the etrac for heavy iron hunting. I prefer the etrac over the ctx for cleaner areas just because I miss the sounds of silver on the etrac. If money isn't an issue, get the ctx. Buy one and be done as stated above. Good luck!

G2M

CTX released looks like May 2012, so coming up on 4 years old.

And I think the language on the next flagship Minelab will be different than CTX

Probably closer to a Deus IMO.

And I expect the separation factor to be better as well- with similar or very little depth gains.

I can say this.

If Minelab releases a new flagship--- watch the used prices on the CTXs.

CTX is no doubt a good detector--- but for the loot etrac better choice-- as long as you don't water hunt or maybe beach hunt.

Now take a good used etrac purchased at reasonable price
Take the unit and hunt the daylights out of it
Try to sell-- you might lose $200
Try that with a CTX!!!

I'm that AT Pro owner. It's a great detector for what my budget would allow.

Now for my opinion on your dilemma. Assuming money isn't the issue, I would buy the CTX 3030. I've thought about this a lot in case I win the lottery. I think that I would use the GPS feature on the CTX3030 and I like the idea of a waterproof machine in the event it is raining while I'm out. I like to water hunt on occasion as well.

With that said, if you get the 3030 and don't end up thinking that you made the right decision, you can sell the 3030 for a pretty good percentage of your cost and purchase the Etrac or the Deus. leaving you plenty of $ to buy some extra coils etc.

This is all just my opinion because I've never used any of these machines. I've hunted beside all of them and they are all great machines. I've also found silver with my AT Pro in places where all three of these machines had been used. Not because the AT Pro is a better machine by any means but because I was more thorough. I think the key is to really get to know whatever one you go with.

Agree

I will stick to the E-trac, a new model will come out soon, since they didn't solve the issues with the CTX 3030 meaning power off issues, screen leakage issues, gasket seal issues, I am sure wright now they are working on a new advanced model which corrects , and improves performance, just look what they have done the last few years, discontinued the GT, SE Pro, and soon the CTX3030, and for all those who choose to keep them good luck, ML like's those solid loyal repair greenbacks , never had a problem with my e-trac, liked it so much ,I sold my old one, & bought a new one with warranty, a solid history of success, and durability, I see the success part in the CTX3030 guy's, BUT a lot , but not all, durability issues - problems-repairs , have been done, I am not a CTX3030 basher , but do think it was Over priced, and they didn't do a better job, correcting the problems, for a over priced machine, it should have been durable , with NO issues , like the E-Trac

Please TNSS don't make us watch you dig another hole. If everyone waited for the next "new model" to come out, none of the current models would be selling and believe me they are selling like Hot Cakes! must be this guy lives in your area and you don't want him digging all the silver, right?:wow: Or maybe you are waiting to sell him on the Racer:laughing:
Why get the E trac when the CTX 3030 is an option? I own both and I will be the first to say I think the CTX is worth the extra $ over the E trac. Better separation, more accurate target IDs at depth, tons of more audio/tone options, built in wireless, waterproof, Target trace, the ability to see more than one target on your screen, More Modes and Patterns available as well as the ability to store more custom patterns not to mention having 2 patterns in each mode that you can switch back and forth with one button.
I do recommend trying an E trac first if you have never used a FBS unit just to get you used to the Minelab way of doing things, then the switch to the CTX is smooth as butter. But since the Original poster has used a Minelab before I think the CTX 3030 would be a great choice.
If you are going to pull the trigger on the CTX you better do it fast as the free 17" coil ($399 value) deal ends Jan. 15th.

Choppadude

A little quick on the draw ? You have had a E-trac for a while, but only owned a CTX3030 for a few week's, maybe a review should be done in about 6 months -excluding the winter months of -non use, my ML informant said the CTX3050s are wright around the corner , faster processor, heavier duty compartment seal, with screen & software improvements :lol: howboutit

If Minelab keeps with their pricing strategy, the next new machine will be the "WTF4570" :lol: with a price tag of $4500! Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my E-Trac. I just wish the 3030 had all the bugs worked out at that price. I'd surely like to have a 3030 but I don't want all the headaches that come with it...

Oh, (Grammar Police mode engaged) Surf Master it's Right NOT Wright... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom