December's Coin-ucopia (pic heavy)

TorqueMaster

Elite Member
Ok, the month isn't over, but I found enough fun stuff to share. I know I find more fun coins in rolls than in the dirt, and in better shape, too!

Starts out with a colorized Kennedy, and his silver pals.

Then a Proof ender and a close-up of same.

Accumulation of 4 boxes worth of finds, including that proof, and one more, and a 1987. Somebody must have dumped some oldies with '64s, Benjamins, and all these 40%ers popping up!

The next box was special - more variety than I've ever seen in one box. Starts out with this weird ender coin. Front and back. It's a 1918 British One Penny, made of bronze. Way cool! In the same box, a Benjamin, a 1964, some 40%ers, a 1987, two proofs -- 1987 and 1977, a few NIFCs, and a batting cage token! I call the Benjamin a skinny benny, cause it is very very worn. Note on the scale it is only 9.8 grams and should be 12.5!

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Attachments

• color_ken.jpg
    color_ken.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 231
  • proof_ender.jpg
    proof_ender.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 227
  • 2013s_closeup.jpg
    2013s_closeup.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 221
  • good_score.jpg
    good_score.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 224
  • foreign_ender.jpg
    foreign_ender.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 231
  • 1918_brit_penny_obverse.jpg
    1918_brit_penny_obverse.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 222
  • 1918_brit_penny_reverse.jpg
    1918_brit_penny_reverse.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 228
  • most_variety_box.jpg
    most_variety_box.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 234
  • skinny_benny.jpg
    skinny_benny.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 243
why is it that the banks seem to give out foreign coins in rolls and refuse to them back?

This just seems odd to me :P
Well, the bank has full control over what coin they take in, but no control over the contents of the rolled coin they receive from the armored service. Unless the bank has an employee that is a collector, the foreign coin just gets thrown out.

Well, the bank has full control over what coin they take in, but no control over the contents of the rolled coin they receive from the armored service. Unless the bank has an employee that is a collector, the foreign coin just gets thrown out.

ours is almost all customer rolled coins :roll:

ours is almost all customer rolled coins :roll:
Maybe they aren't checking every coin in each individual roll before they sell them? I could understand that. When I was buying customer rolled dimes, usually $500-$1,000 at a time, I would pull about 30-50 Canadian and misc foreign dimes that I knew the bank would not want ( tried that once, the teller almost hit me throwing them back :laughing:) I just got creative, and peppered them into a couple dime rolls that I'd use to buy gas.:cool:

Maybe they aren't checking every coin in each individual roll before they sell them? I could understand that. When I was buying customer rolled dimes, usually $500-$1,000 at a time, I would pull about 30-50 Canadian and misc foreign dimes that I knew the bank would not want ( tried that once, the teller almost hit me throwing them back :laughing:) I just got creative, and peppered them into a couple dime rolls that I'd use to buy gas.:cool:

They aren't checking the rolls before bringing them in from customers most likely.

Whenever I get coins from the bank i'm going to bring my very strong magnet with me to check rolls beforehand :P

One time i go a roll solid full of canadian coinage.

Whenever I get coins from the bank i'm going to bring my very strong magnet with me to check rolls beforehand :P
Just be careful with that, remember it's a bank, not a coin shop...are you sure you want to pick and choose? You don't to wear out your welcome, and even possibly lose an account.

Just be careful with that, remember it's a bank, not a coin shop...are you sure you want to pick and choose? You don't to wear out your welcome, and even possibly lose an account.

That won't happen and the worse they can say is that I can't. It might take a minute to check 50 rolls with a magnet... I know that is worth their time because last time I was there a teller opened all of my rolls counting them and what not taking like 30 minutes... this was not from a crh ether just my store change. My rolls weren't damaged or wonky or anything either.. It just wasted my time for the $30 or so worth or change. The teller also spent like 2 minutes looking at a dime maybe thinking that it was fake or silver because of a black tarnish (it wasn't silver).

Thanks, all, those were some fun boxes.

Cap'n Silver, is it normal that beach silver is eroded away like that, or is it the black nastiness that gives it away, or both?

Back
Top Bottom