CRH newbi question

crdizzle6288

hey guys. just a quick question for you all. my dad and I used to look through coins when I was younger and collect a little here and there. it was never such a hobby like coin roll hunting. I have a quick question and hoping some of you guys can share with me your procedure please.

after you get your box or rolls of coins, after you open them..

do you just put the unwanted coins back into bags to return them? what is the easiest way to bring back and return? do you run them through the coin machine in the front of the teller station or do you give them to the teller to run through their coin machine?

Thanks in advance guys!

The easiest way? You are right, dump your searched coin into a bag, known amount, turn over to teller and collect cash on spot. I've done that, but tellers screwed it up, now I have to re-roll which takes 5 seconds (dimes), and the tellers later have to unwrap all those rolls before bagging and shipping out. I search $1,000 in customer rolls in about two hours, and I dump over counter $500 at a time.

Machine dumping is easy too but I'm tired of dimes counted as cents. If it's a big miscount, couple bucks or more, I bring it to their attention and they credit my account later. Not fun for them I'm sure.

Thinking about giving the whole thing up, more and more fees are quite a pain
Banks using my money, paying less than a half percent on savings and collecting interest in the double digits...ok sorry about bank rant.

Look for a dump bank other than the one where you pick up your coin rolls. Look for a bank that will take the coins back loose, i.e., not in rolls. Search them and dump them in a durable bag.

I tried a smaller counting machine in a bank lobby, but it took a fairly long time, only accepting coins at a certain rate, and rejecting good ones so they had to be fed through again. Same bank has a fast coin counting machine. Hand them over to a teller, and they usually have me in and out of the bank in 10 minutes. I haven't gone back to the slow diy machine.

Already had an account at the source bank. Opened one at the dump bank so there are no coin counting fees, and got online banking as a free bonus. Also was able to electronically link the accounts, so I can safely recycle the dump funds back to the source bank.

I carry the coins (in brinks boxes or my canvas bags) inside a heavy duty laptop bag. Intended to somewhat camouflage what I'm carrying, though it's probably noticeable by how I walk that my "laptop" weighs a freaking ton! 2 boxes is about 50 lbs.

Happy hunting.

KT has encountered both types of the diy coin machines at His Royal Bank (different branches) and totally agrees with the previous poster that the "slow" machine is a pita, not only due to its speed, but also due to the high rate of rejection on the initial dumping. It is belt driven and when you look into the dump slot, you will see a belt below. The fast machine KT uses is a centripital sorter, has about 8 coin slots for counting and is high speed. KT can dump 3000 halves in 5 minutes, not counting the down time for a teller to come change the bag (bag holds 2000 halves). The "slow" machine would take over 30 minutes of standing there, hand feeding the coins a few at a time!

Fortunately now, KT has located 2 fast machines within His banking system, so if one is down for repairs, He can run over to the other branch...still a hassle but still less time that using a slow machine.

I will be getting my case of halfs in the next day or so. Can you guys tell me which years to look for? I know there are 40% silver and the silver halfs, are there certain years to keep or look out for? sorry I just read and lurk a lot on the "CRH'ing" threads so I have a slight idea of what to look for but just need some clarification of possible. Thanks!

Hello. For the half dollars. Look out for 1987. The P and D mints of 1987 were silver. Also any proofs of course. There is also a 1974 double doe obverse variety to look out for.

I see some pictures of 60's halfs and 2000's. is there a reason for keeping those?

60s halves are silver and 2000s and up to this darts are all NIFC. Which stands for Not Intended For Circulation. Because all of the mintages are all much lower.

Let me also add that you should look for the 1892 half dollar without the designers initials. So it will not have FG on it. Mint state examples go for a high premium.

The 1974 DDO half dollar must have the D mintmark though.

Thanks! I will keep you guys updated. if I have any questions or think twice about anything, I will def. post it and ask before i discard it.

Hello. For the half dollars. Look out for 1987. The P and D mints of 1987 were silver.
1987 P and D are not silver. They are NIFC clad.

1964 and earlier, 90% silver.
1965-1970, 40% silver.
1992 - present S proof are minted both clad, and 90% silver.

60s halves are silver and 2000s and up to this darts are all NIFC.
2002 is officially the start date the NIFC Kennedy halves. 2001 P's were not intended to be released for circulation, but mint figures are high.

This info on coin mintage numbers are all available in the 2014 Official Red Book.

hey guys. so I finally went through the case of halves. I got ZERO silvers, not one of the coins was per 1971. I did get a lot of the bicentennial coins. Are those even worth collecting? I didn't look for proofs or NIFC at all. There were a bunch of 2000 and up halves in there, just doesn't interest me much at this point. I was hoping for silver or at least a couple 40%ers. No luck this time but ill keep trying.

You will find many Bicentenials, because many were minted.

Some people still hoard them, like the quarters, also of no value over 25c.
I recently listed 20 rolls of BU bicent quarters on craigslist, best offer, and had not one reply in 30 days.

Back
Top Bottom