Delta 4000 or AT Pro

soughtseven1035

Forum Supporter
Hey guys,
I already know what most of you will say, but I am still new to this hobby. I just got the delta and although it's frustrating, it is getting simpler with every time I go out with it. The AT Pro has gotten a lot of good reviews around here and I know most of you will recommend it. It seems like both of these machines have a lot of love, and only a few that can't get them to work for them. I can get the AT Pro for $400 with the stock headphones. I have never seen the price that low. It was used about 6 months. I plan to hunt some creeks around here and land. The Delta 4000 coil is waterproof and I know the AT Pro is all-terrain. At this point in the hobby, what is the best choice? I could probably sell the Delta 4000 for $200 and only have to give out $200 more for an upgraded machine. I already have a pro pointer and lesche, so my tools are pretty much complete. Any recommendations would be great.

Sell the 4000 and go with the pro. You may as well upgrade now, that way you won't always be wondering what if.

G2M

Hmm...I was expecting many of you to tell me to hold off on it until I get more experience. Now you are going the opposite way. Really confused now. The AT Pro is a quality machine but I don't really have the extra $200 funds and that is only if I sell this Delta 4000. I honestly think that the Delta 4000 is more than capable enough to find what I want found. Most stuff is not 8+ inches deep...

You are in PA. I bet there's plenty to be found at 8+ inches deep. :) Just assuming of course. :)

As a member on here told me one time. Learn the machine you have and you will find plenty of interesting items.

G2M

Do you have anyone you can hunt with that swings an AT Pro? Then you could compare the two side by side and that would help you make a more informed decision as to whether you should go with the AT Pro or not.

G2M

I actually just met a buddy near me and he just bought the AT Pro. A day later, a deal pops up near me and I have a chance to get it. That is good advice. I will just keep what I have. Lance Armstrong can be a guy on the fastest bicycle out there, only riding a tricycle. That is the same concept here with detecting. Thanks again.

AS someone who has owned both detectors I must strongly recommend the AT Pro.
I did like the Delta 4000 and had some good finds and really like the unit. It does have its drawbacks though. For one, the Delta experiences a lot of electro magnetic interference and it can drive you crazy at times.
I did like the fact that the Delta was light as a feather.
The AT Pro has 4 different frequencies you can use should you run into any interference. I was recently detecting next to a McDonalds and was getting all kinds of feedback and static. It must have been the headphones for the restaurants drive through. I just changes the frequency on my AT and it was fine. The AT also has ground balance which the delta does not.
I have just completed my first 100 hours with my AT Pro and so far I have found over 1000 coins and more silver in this 100 hours than I have found in the last 5 seasons detecting!
I know it may seem like a big investment but it is one you will not regret.
As a matter of fact after using my AT for a few months I went ahead and bought a second one so I would always have one in case something happened to one unit.

I told my wife when I bought my new e-trac that she could have the at-pro, Big mistake on my part..
Now I have to keep sneaking off with the at-pro without her knowing..:lol:

ya really can't go wrong with the AT, it does have a lot of advantages. it also had a couple drawbacks i didn't like......small VDI, glare on the screen and no back light....other than that you really can't beat it for the price and if it still has over a year on the warranty that's also a plus...not ta mention garrett's customer service is top notch

ya Garrett does have top quality customer service. if i really get into this thing and find some good things with my delta, i am just going to keep it. by the time i will want to upgrade, the at pro will have come down in price and soemthing better will show up. i do run into a lot of jumpy sites with this detector and its very annoying. i just dont have those kinds of funds right now, i just leaped for the pin pointer. im gonna get used to what i have and appreciate it. i know the at pro is better, obviously, but oh well.

After having read several of your posts on the 4000 I would say try the AT. Sounds like a great machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AT Pro for sure. Here's why.

Waterproof.
Manual ground balance.
Great coil and headphone selection.
Iron audio. 40 segments of iron resolution. It's great in the nails.
Easy to use. Deep.
Re-sale holds high on those units.
Garrett customer service is Top Notch!

The Delta line of detectors and F2 I consider "hobby" metal detectors. The ATPro I'd consider to be a "Professional" detector. There's a reason A lot of guys with Etracs and Excaliburs also have an AT Pro.

I'm seriously considering buying one again as a backup and for fresh water hunts.

AT Pro for sure.

Waterproof.
Manual ground balance.
Great coil and headphone selection.
Iron audio. 40 segments of iron resolution. It's great in the nails.
Easy to use. Deep.
Re-sale holds high on those units.

The Delta line of detectors and F2 I consider "hobby" metal detectors. The ATPro I'd consider to be a "Professional" detector. There's a reason A lot of guys with Etracs and Excaliburs also have an AT Pro.

I'm seriously considering buying one again as a backup and for fresh water hunts.

I agree with you, but would you consider the Tek T2 you have a "hobby" detector also since its a teknetics?

Again, I agree with what you said, just curious what your opinion on that is.

I agree with you, but would you consider the Tek T2 you have a "hobby" detector also since its a teknetics?

again, i agree with what you said, just curious what your opinion on that is.

No, it's way too powerful and sensitive. They can be VERY chatty. A casual hobbiest would wrap it around a tree! :laughing:

The T2SE is the deepest detector I have ever used. My T2 in boost is a bit deeper than my CTX3030.

Teknetics T2 is the relics version of the Fisher F75. The T2 has more iron resolution for relics and the F75 has more top end resolution for coinshooting.

It's also too expensive for the hobbyist. I think they are like $750 new.

I feel ya. I watch a guy on youtube with the T2, and I agree, it's more of a professional detector, and he kills with it!

Until you go to better locations and start hitting good targets it wont matter what you use. You like all metal mode and AT Pro doesnt have one. Recover at least $10 in clad and see how you feel.

Until you go to better locations and start hitting good targets it wont matter what you use. You like all metal mode and AT Pro doesnt have one. Recover at least $10 in clad and see how you feel.
I was waiting for your response. I have until 11am this morning to figure out if I want it or not. I do have a lot of offers to come visit and metal detect with guys on here, mainly for relics and water hunting though. That is why I am leaning towards getting it. But you are right, I just got this Delta. I don't like All Metal mode, only to help distinguish if it is a target. I use Disc. Mode all of the time now on my Delta. I could easily sell the AT Pro for more than $400 anywhere. I want to give it a go. One more response for the AT Pro and I am getting it.

Back
Top Bottom