Between 2 > Flip a coin

Jerry Allen

Forum Supporter
Need HELP from the Forum.

Have it narrowed down to 2 ( HOPEFULLY )

Main area will be fields & farm houses & streams, & the beach a few times a year.

Garrett A T Pro with extra coils,
OR
Fisher F2 with extra coils included.

The main difference is $3 - 4 hundred more for the Garrett or
TWICE as much as the Fisher.

Will the Garrett work twice as good, last twice as long, and would I have twice
the power, finds, and fun?

I have noticed a lot of people start on the low end and not long after they wish they had purchased a better unit. I would like to avoid this.

All help & comments will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

If money is no object definitely AT Pro. If mostly schools, parks, and/or yards F2 may be the better choice/value.

Apples to Oranges!

They're not even in the same league.... Get the AT Pro, but if you are planning on doing a Saltwater beach, the Pro is for certain a better choice. And it's water resistant.

I dont have a F2 but I do have the ATPro so I can only speak for what I have. With the fields, farms, streams and parks/schools the ATPro will shine and you wont have to upgrade unless you really want to. I hate to upgrade, so for all of my hobbies I always go with the mid-grade equipment.

Will the Garrett work twice as good, last twice as long, and would I have twice the power, finds, and fun?

More like triple. There are a lot of variables. Soil can vary in mineralization and hardness. Target depth and types vary...

Get the AT Pro if you can, but you don't even know if you are going to enjoy metal detecting yet? Not everyone has the patience or the toughness. A lot of people don't want to be seen doing it, because it can be seen as scavenging like, homeless people collecting cans. LOL! I have a feeling that thousands of AT Pros are being purchased, but people who end up not having the patience or time. I will have to hit the garage sales soon!

We average finding $1 per hour. If you are looking for silver coins, you will find one every 10 hours of hunting if you are lucky! Some people go a year or two before finding one. The best case would be to borrow the F2, from someone that upgraded, but if you had friends in the hobby you probably wouldn't be asking. LOL!

When I was first shopping for detectors, I actually thought I could find several silver coins every hunt and average $15 an hour, LOL!! I though I would do better than the people on the forum. The good news is that it is very fun anyway. I have a really hard time detecting less than 6 hours at a time even in the heat!

More like triple. There are a lot of variables. Soil can vary in mineralization and hardness. Target depth and types vary...

Get the AT Pro if you can, but you don't even know if you are going to enjoy metal detecting yet? Not everyone has the patience or the toughness. A lot of people don't want to be seen doing it, because it can be seen as scavenging like, homeless people collecting cans. LOL! I have a feeling that thousands of AT Pros are being purchased, but people who end up not having the patience or time. I will have to hit the garage sales soon!

We average finding $1 per hour. If you are looking for silver coins, you will find one every 10 hours of hunting if you are lucky! Some people go a year or two before finding one. The best case would be to borrow the F2, from someone that upgraded, but if you had friends in the hobby you probably wouldn't be asking. LOL!

When I was first shopping for detectors, I actually thought I could find several silver coins every hunt and average $15 an hour, LOL!! I though I would do better than the people on the forum. The good news is that it is very fun anyway. I have a really hard time detecting less than 6 hours at a time even in the heat!

If I was doing this for the money I wouldn't even buy one. I raise, fly & race PIGEONS,, if I can handle all of the negativity that goes along with NASTY, STINKY FLYING RATS as some people call them, Metal Detecting should be no problem.

I wear a suit clean up REAL HANDSOME, read a poem and release White Doves at funerals, from a Chapel and a remote controlled basket hidden off to the side.
When it all comes together I bring Tears to their eyes,, & mine to some times.

When I tell people I raise pigeons, the first thing they think of is birds down town eating french fries and pooping on statues. I have several breeders that cost more than most people make in 2 months time. ( Shhhhhh ) don't tell the Misses:yes:

I needed GOOD quality breeders. I could have spent less or more, it wouldn't have made the birds any better. Quality and dependability was what I was after and I knew the man who had what I needed.

The same as a metal detector. I have seen them from $16.00 to 4 - 5 thousand.

The El Cheapo might last or work very well, and the 5 thousand dollar one may not do any better than a 5 hundred dollar one.

As with birds I just want a good quality detector that will last,
not the El - Cheapo & not the 5 thousand dollar one.

That is why I ask for advise from the forum.

Thanks to your wisdom as the others, they all lean to the AT Pro.
Tomorrow I am making the call. AT Pro it is!!

Thanks to everybody who gave their opinions & information.

FWIW, I started with an ACE 350 and went to the AT Pro a month later. No remorse for getting the 350 though, it was my "make sure I like this first" machine, and it is a decent backup/buddy loaner.

If I can handle all of the negativity that goes along with NASTY, STINKY FLYING RATS as some people call them, Metal Detecting should be no problem.

Flying rats!! LOL!!

I wear a suit clean up REAL HANDSOME, read a poem and release White Doves at funerals, from a Chapel and a remote controlled basket hidden off to the side.
When it all comes together I bring Tears to their eyes,, & mine to some times.

Awesome business! Like a magic show in vegas or something just for a wedding.

When I tell people I raise pigeons, the first thing they think of is birds down town eating french fries and pooping on statues. I have several breeders that cost more than most people make in 2 months time. ( Shhhhhh ) don't tell the Misses:yes:
Too bad you can't sell them for a living. I guess there is a limited market and it would create competition for your wedding services.

The El Cheapo might last or work very well, and the 5 thousand dollar one may not do any better than a 5 hundred dollar one.

As with birds I just want a good quality detector that will last,
not the El - Cheapo & not the 5 thousand dollar one.
You sound like a CTX man. In that case the AT Pro would be a good starter!

Back
Top Bottom