Why pin pointers? Seriously?

Buried

Elite Member
I really don't get why people pay SO much for a pin pointer. Honestly, I can locate a target and 99% of the time get it out of the ground with as little of a hole as possible just using my MD to locate it. If I'm on the beach or something, I may use it for tiny tiny tiny items that fall out of my scoop. And the pin pointer I'm using is a 9.99 stud finder that I modded into a pin pointer.

So really, my question is, why $100.00 pin pointers?

All you can do is take our word then thank us later........

I was you a couple months back, and then I spent the hundred or so on the pro pointer , and only until you get it will you learn. I simply can't imagine going on a hunt w/o one now . . . and I thought I never needed one before I had it !

DD coils.

There it is, condensed to a simple reason.

But even with concentric coils, they save me a bunch of time that I can be doing the funner parts of the hobby.

You will think a bit differently when you almost cut a half dime in half because it was the FIRST target you didnt pinpoint corectly. I dig a hole that I know is oversized, then find the target inside it with my pinpointer. That way I never damage anything.

I dont have one.... Yet. I have abandoned holes before " refilling them" without finding the target.. People that have vastly more experience than me say they are a must have. That tells me all I need know. I didn't say I thought the price was fair however.. Still they swear by them.

I am not MacGuyver and don't know how to turn a stud finder into a propointer. My machine does not give me the exact location 99% of the time. I guess it boils down to me not being as awesome as you are.

But what I'm saying is, I can make a small cut, dig, fold, grab target, replace dirt, looks good as new in a matter of 60 seconds or less per target. Am I just lucky or ?

I really don't get why people pay SO much for a pin pointer. Honestly, I can locate a target and 99% of the time get it out of the ground with as little of a hole as possible just using my MD to locate it. If I'm on the beach or something, I may use it for tiny tiny tiny items that fall out of my scoop. And the pin pointer I'm using is a 9.99 stud finder that I modded into a pin pointer.

So really, my question is, why $100.00 pin pointers?

Spoken like someone that's NEVER hunted deep coins at 10" or deeper in dark mud where the coins are the same color. Right, you keep digging that 99% without, and we'll stick to a 100% with and zero aggravation. Seriously? What a thread. So glad I use a Garrett PP, and never once considered the $127 to be a lot to avoid the pain of Marco Polo with my finds. :wow:

I remember I got a coin spill with 8 wheat cents...took me over an hour to retrieve them all.......The mud was the same color as the cents, and I dont have bad eyes!

Never do I live that pain again with my PP

Spoken like someone that's NEVER hunted deep coins at 10" or deeper in dark mud where the coins are the same color. Right, you keep digging that 99% without, and we'll stick to a 100% with and zero aggravation. Seriously? What a thread. So glad I use a Garrett PP, and never once considered the $127 to be a lot to avoid the pain of Marco Polo with my finds. :wow:

Ok, I can see how using a pin pointer for deep targets would come in handy. Typically with my settings, I'm hitting things usually about 4 to 5 inches down, but 10 inches I could see where they would be handy. That explains it a little more, thanks. Maybe next time you could do it without all the sarcasm and attitude. Not everyone is "elite"

The ProPointer has good range as well as a increasing frequency of the audio the closer you are to the target. It helps avoid coin scratching.
The Pistol Probe just has excellent range due to PI, like 3-4 inches, and the detection field is right in front of the tip, so you can locate things easily. It's like having a hand held sniper coil to stick in the hole.

I started with a Harbor Freight PP, I keep it as a backup but a good PP makes MDing much more enjoyable.

My pinpointer is invaluable to me, and saves me a ton of aggravation! I only have a limited time to hunt, so I want my digging time to be as productive as possible.

How about this.... buy one.... try it.... and if you don't like it after 10 hunts you can sell it for about ten bucks less than you paid. So that answeres all your questions and you cant stop "Wondering" if you would like it. FOR ONLY TEN BUCKS! thats a deal! anything but a garrett pro pointer is not worth the money.

Buried, I MD'd for a while without a pinpointer and it was just fine. After getting one, though, It's hard to do without it. When my Propointer had to go in for repair (my fault for trying to open it) I bought a Centech from HF and it is a tremendous backup for the Garrett, or to lend. Great $15 or so investment and I think you'll find the use of the PP speeds up your recovery. Disregard the crankheads, If I'd known about the Centech before buying the Pro, I probably never would have sprung for the latter.

Buried, I MD'd for a while without a pinpointer and it was just fine. After getting one, though, It's hard to do without it. When my Propointer had to go in for repair (my fault for trying to open it) I bought a Centech from HF and it is a tremendous backup for the Garrett, or to lend. Great $15 or so investment and I think you'll find the use of the PP speeds up your recovery. Disregard the crankheads, If I'd known about the Centech before buying the Pro, I probably never would have sprung for the latter.

I'm just curious though, that with my recovery time being around 60 seconds per target, how much improvement would a pin pointer be?

Keep in mind my targets are only 6 inches or above. The only thing I have ever dug below that was a can. I'm sure I'm missing out on deeper targets, but honestly, unless its junk iron or a can, my MD won't really pick it up below 6 inches. I'm still using my first detector, which is what "some" would call junk, it is a Bounty Hunter Tracker 4. But I came into this hobby without knowing how well I, or my family would like it and how much we'd want to spend on a gamble of interest.

Pinpointer

So I suppose this is over kill also:laughing::laughing:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 802
You don't have to spend a lot of money on a PP. I have the Bouty Hunter PP you can get off amazon for 43 bucks. Not all targets are easily seen with the naked eye. When I pop the plug, sometimes you see the pull tab or coin, but sometimes in the parks that I search you have to use the PP because the object is small or dirt colored. Like the lead shot I found. One BB at a time, or the small piece of tarnished copper that kept sliding around until I got out the PP and found it. You just never know. Consider yourself lucky if you never need one. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I started out with a BH4 just like you. Then after about a month or so I bought the HF PP and found it very helpful although I hated the "cheapness" of it...the feel and sound were horrible (not to mention the range). After reading all the posts here about the GPP I figured I'd give it a try. I thought it was kinda stupid to have a PP that cost more than my actual machine but I shelled out the $120 anyway. Well...let me tell you...the thing is just awesome! I will not hunt without one. One thing it may help you with is recovery of those shallow targets. When I get a hit on my machine I then use the GPP to find the location and I'm able to just pop the item outta the ground without digging a plug. That will turn your 60 second dig into 10. About three months of using the BH4 with the GPP I decided I was hooked and upgraded to the F2. My 9 year old daughter got BH4 and HF PP and is thrilled to use em.

Back
Top Bottom