First Gold!!!

penneyrich

Well, it isn't much to look at, but it's my first legitimate gold find. The ring is marked 1/500 RGP 10k HHE. Even though its plated I'm still gonna count it until I find the first solid one. This area has been good to me. Two trips there and 3 silvers and 1 "gold". Thanks for looking and happy hunting all!!

Attachments

• Gold ring 2.jpg
    Gold ring 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 321
Congrats on the nice ring. Rings come few and far between for me.

HD

Well, it isn't much to look at, but it's my first legitimate gold find. The ring is marked 1/500 RGP 10k HHE. Even though its plated I'm still gonna count it until I find the first solid one. This area has been good to me. Two trips there and 3 silvers and 1 "gold". Thanks for looking and happy hunting all!!

Dont cheat yourself. You will find your first gold just keep up the hard work and swing level!

Hey..gold is gold.. you will score one someday. That one is very pretty!

I agree with every bit of advice and encouragement in the above posts. Weekend after weekend I returned home with a couple bucks in clad, bottle tops, hardware, and eye glass frames. Then came a single sterling silver earing, then a sterling silver ring, then a valid Mexican passport, and then just last weekend a nickel wedding band. Keep at it and you'll find the strangest items, some money, and some jewelry. Enjoy!

Congrats !!!!!

Hey, plated gold is still better than copper plated over zinc, aka "Zincolns" :lol:

Agreed! Plated rings are worth at last a nickel to most kids!

Can't really do much else with them. I give them away to the kiddos at the park, unless the ring is in flawless condition. then the nieces get them. Unfortunately, there's no real value to plated jewelry. It's a nice touch, but the plating is so thin, that it's essentially worthless. Worthless, in my book is any jewelry with an actual metal value of less than a buck. So... wanna know what yours is worth?

Continue on!!!

https://www.sincerelysilver.co/blogs/jewelry-blog/pros-and-cons-of-gold-plated-jewelry
"The thickness of the gold layer on the outside of gold plated jewelry can vary greatly; however, the Federal Trade commission labels gold plated items at .5 microns and “heavy gold plated” items at 2.5 microns."

To put that in perspective your 1/500 is a notification that at manufacture, 1/500th of the weight of the ring was gold. The ring you're showing probably weighs around 1.2 grams.

So, 1/500th of 1.2 grams is .0024‬ grams of 10K gold (again... at manufacture... gold plating rubs off pretty easily, but for our purposes, we'll assume it's all there!).

The good news is that Gold is actually pretty high right now... The spot value of gold is $1406 per Troy ounce.
The Spot value of .0024‬ grams of 10K gold (which is just 37.5% actual gold) is $.0452. Or roughly 4 1/2 cents.

In other words, if you (the original poster) sell the ring to a kid for a nickel, you've actually cleared spot on gold, which is good. :)

Functionally, this is why most of us don't "count" HGE gold plating (or any gold plating) as a "gold ring."

Is it a plated gold ring!? BOOYAH, YES!! Does it count as a nice find! YOU BETCHA!! Is it actually worth anything? Less than a nickel. :( Fun find though!

Cheers!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom