Who uses a probe?

Blueonceagain

Elite Member
To my mind these are virtually useless.You always stand the risk of scratching the item,the ground would have to be stone free,if it was a ring pull how on earth would you know you had hit it and so on.Correct me if any of you use it to good effect.

Back in the 80s when I didn't know any better, I used an old ice pick. Pounded lots of holes in the ground and found a lot of coins and a few rings. Scratched a few things, but most of my hunting was on school grounds and I wasn't expecting a $20 gold piece in Great Falls, MT. Fort Benton, MT was another story......

Dusty

I use a probe, It helps to pin point a find,when its in the dirt and you pick up a chunk of dirt and the probe will come in handy to tell you the object is in your hand,or you can wave your hand over the coil to see just where the object is .I like to use the probe. I guess it's to eaches own.You just touch the dirt with the probe don't drag it,and you won't scratch anything,happy hunting

I use a probe, It helps to pin point a find,when its in the dirt and you pick up a chunk of dirt and the probe will come in handy to tell you the object is in your hand,or you can wave your hand over the coil to see just where the object is .I like to use the probe. I guess it's to eaches own.You just touch the dirt with the probe don't drag it,and you won't scratch anything,happy hunting

I think he's talking about a metal probe, not a pinpointer.....

Yes sorry mate,just prodding the ground I mean.

I know there are fiberglass probes you can buy or make that won't scratch coins up too much, and I was going to look into that.
I used to pack a regular phillips head screwdriver just to practice and to see if if I could learn that skill before investing in a fiberglass one.
I quickly realized, however, that there is a blanket of large stones and rocks laying about an inch under the top of the soil in this area.
I have a Propointer which usually gets me right to the spot I could probe and pop, but 80% of the time I was hitting and popping rocks before the target, so I gave up.

........I regularly ( 98% of the time) use a brass probe. Then again I am not hunting for old coins. I look for mainly gobs of clad and Rings. I would venture to say that since I am just popping coins I can pin point and extract in 20 ~ 30 seconds, seriously! Remember, most of my find are just about surface finds. They usually have very little grass over them. Have I scratched some?, you bet, but couldn't care less. .........these areas are just too easy. 98% of the loot is just out of sight laying in the grass or maybe 1/2" deep. I usually do not even have to use the pin pointer. I just center the coil, poke with the Brass probe to feel em, and generally I can even "flip em" out with the brass probe. Occasionally I have to use a screwdriver to "flip em".I am in the proccess of buying an Etrac so I'll have to mend my ways on deep signals I reckon! HH and be well.......... Jan

when hunting in state parks in PA only a probe or screwdriver is permitted....i'd much rather use my diggin tool tho

I always have 5 on me..

For dirt hunting that is. They are fiberglass and made from driveway reflectors. 12- 14" each. They have never splintered and have great sound transfer. One is for poking around in the soil and the other 4 are for if I want to mark off an area that I'm really working.
Marty

I have been detecting before there were pin pointers. I use a brass probe that I have made and I have given several to friends. After a while, you get to where you can tell a rock from a coin or a piece of glass. You can tell the size of an object before hand. If the depth meter says one or two inches and I can't feel it, it's usually junk farther down. you don't randomly stab the ground. Usually a gentle push will do the trick.

Back in the "day" i made several Brass Probes and like some have said, I got to where I could almost "feel" if it were a coin or something of metal. Not much worry about scratching either. Kinda like dealing with a woman. Just be gentle and use a soft touch.

EKW

Keep your probe with you. There will be times when you just can't seem to locate your target. You can use the probe to see if it isn't some junk deeper in the hole. It's a lot easier pushing a probe another four or five inches than digging it.

Keep your probe with you. There will be times when you just can't seem to locate your target. You can use the probe to see if it isn't some junk deeper in the hole. It's a lot easier pushing a probe another four or five inches than digging it.
We have a lot of new people here just thought I would bring this one back up. The probe I made I still carry with me, and this is why.

I still use an ice pick to mark a spot to dig after pinpointing, pick around in gravel and as a small digging tool. I carry a pinpointer, ice pick and digging tool such as a Garrett digger or pocket knife in my left hand while swinging the detector with my right hand.

Back
Top Bottom