Coil Covers

SirGemini

Greetings from Walla Walla....

Am new and just learning in my own yard what the sounds are like...pinpointing and digging holes and covering them up...have found some pennies and a parking token...and lots of rail road spikes and bits of chewed up aluminum cans.. canslaw someone said? hahaha...

Will venture out into some of the parks and school yards soon....what's the best time? Early morning? Late evening or anytime?

Coil covers....are they worth it? Do any of you use them?

And getting permission...what's the best approach? Face to face verses email or letter?

They are fixing to tear up the ground near our mall and it's just across the road from where Fort Walla Walla and the now VA hospital is...should be pretty good place to search? Would permission from the forman or someone on site be ok or do I have to deal with some faceless corporate entity?

Thanks and I've been lurking and reading the great hints tips and warnings... wonderful site..

Charlie

Hi Gemini and welcome,

I can help with some of your questions.

I dont go to schools when they are open. It may be just me, but I don't think they would appreciate a strange older man walking around the school. It's a security thing. Plus I don't like 40,000 little eyes on me.

Permission is always better face/face. You have a much better chance of getting a yes, than a typed cold letter/email.
I posted some ideas as to where to hunt here:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php/topic,3260.0.html

One more thing, coil covers are a good way to protect your investment. :grin:

Good luck.

Welcome. Ilike to go when no one is around. I would not go when school is in session.
As far as the coil cover, all my detectors and extra coils have covers. I think it would takea long,long time to wear thru the basic coil from the wear on a 30+ year old cover I have, but I would recommend one as they are not that expensive and do offer protection for your investment.
pop

I agree with poptop, the coil covers are well worth the price to protect the expensive coils. I'm headed to a school today. The only time I hunt them is on weekends or after everyone has left, it's just easier that way.

As far as permission... If you are wanting to hunt private land then i would suggest to go in person. If it is a park, call the city in which you are hunting they will either give you an answer on the spot or direct you to the park director, who will give you the answer. Good luck and happy hunting

Thanks for the info....and the places to hunt..I am already eyeing places that are vacant...under construction..or maybe where people gather.... They just had a high school graduation ceremony this weekend and a College one too...but I didn't plan ahead and ask permission...wonders if they would mind me on school property...I do pay taxes? hahaha...

Thanks for pointing me to potential sites to check out...was a good list!

I like this forum...all this sharing of knowledge and support...with all this information do I need to invest in any books on detecting?

My machine Bounty Hunter 505 I got for my birthday last week came with a 4 inch coil and 8 inch but no coil covers...I've seen them mentioned but have not look one up to see what they look like or what they cost...

And any luck with any of you in the shallow end of creeks...lakes or boat ramps?

I agee with all that was said and I do use the covers. Any where people go in the water is good. You will see more jewlery here than on land. I don't use a bounty hunter but most coils are now waterproof. Most corporations will say no to you detecting for fear of lawsuits. Rob

Welcome to the forum and hobby. I like hunting in the morning before people get out and it's cooler during the summer. I think coil covers are a must and I like asking permission face to face. Best of luck. :yes:

SG, I would go to the major people (or all) who sell coil covers and call them for a retro fit one for the 4" and 8" cause I remember my friend did that. Not sure who he used. He has moved away now.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom