Bag of halves=Silver, goodies, and a once in a lifetime score

gameoftag

Forum Supporter
Yesterday, I went in to my local bank to cash a check and she informed me that the bag of halves was $40 or so from being full. She always lets me buy the bag and it was sooo close. Couldn't wait, so off I went to another bank to get some rolls so I could go back and fill the bag.

within 30 minutes, I was off with my bag, ripe with anticipation of what might be in there. I eyeballed a 40% through the plastic before I even opened the bag, so I was hopeful. Very nice bag that yielded 9 silvers, a cool Gerald Ford token, a Canada Toonie, a 2005 NIFC, and some random smashed pennies from various tourist hot spots.
20130725_215223~01.jpg20130725_215300~01.jpg20130725_215313~01.jpg

BUT WAIT...... THERE IS MORE!!!

About halfway through the bag, I had grabbed a handful of coins from the bucket and was going through them as I was talking to my wife and kids. I happened to look over into the bucket and saw something staring right in front of me so cool that it took a second to even register what I was looking at. After my brain processed it, I started stammering as I couldn't find the word to describe the coin i was seeing.. I then told my wife and kids to come over and look in the bucket and this is what they saw..........................

20130725_192701~01.jpg

that picture was taken exactly as I saw it before I even touched it. Didn't know the date. All I knew was I had just found a freaking Large Cent in circulation. Coin counters let all sorts of weird things into the bag but never expected to see something so beautiful.

I picked it up and saw the date of 1816 and freaked out. Don't think my coin roll hunting side hobby is ever going to top this single find again. I just had to share the joy with all of you.
20130725_215334~01.jpg20130725_215400~01.jpg

At the bottom of the bag was a 2 cent stamp as well. No idea what it's age is, but I included it in the pic for those who might know.
Another happy day coin roll hunting. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20130725_215052~01.jpg
    20130725_215052~01.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 588
HOLY! I don't think anyone's gonna top that for age! Oh my gosh! So how could the smashed pennies get in with the halves?

HOLY! I don't think anyone's gonna top that for age! Oh my gosh! So how could the smashed pennies get in with the halves?

Who knows. It's just crazy what wiggles it's way into half dollar bags. I'm curious what I get back when I take the coins back in to be counted. Wonder if they were counted as halves or just fell in and didn't register. Also ended up with probably 5 regular pennies, 2 dime, and a quarter that were in the bag. I may be short when I return it, but I don't care with all the goodies it gave up. :)

WOW, That is just ridiculous:shock:
Now I know why I always get shorted when I take change to my dump bank.
Those machines are really abused.

You have had a career finding rewards coin rolling. But this one really is a cake topper. Congrats on the 1816 Large Cent and all the other surprises in this bag. By the way. the Silver are pretty nice finds also. :lol: Jack

Awesome finds!

I'm not very familiar with coin roll hunting, having never tried it. But I assume the concept was buying a roll of coins of course and picking out the goodies, and returning the rest. But this is the 1st I've heard of " half dollar bags".

What is a half dollar bag? Why do you have to wait until it is full to purchase it? Why would you receive less than you paid when you return it?

Awesome finds!

I'm not very familiar with coin roll hunting, having never tried it. But I assume the concept was buying a roll of coins of course and picking out the goodies, and returning the rest. But this is the 1st I've heard of " half dollar bags".

What is a half dollar bag? Why do you have to wait until it is full to purchase it? Why would you receive less than you paid when you return it?

not sure if your area has them but all banks around here have machines that count change that people bring in. In that machine are bags that fill up based on denomination. once the bag fills, they cash it out, seal it and send it off to the feds and get reimbursed for that amount of change. bags amounts are as follows:
pennys-$50
Nickels-$200
Dimes, Quarters, and Halves $1,000

I'm not exactly sure how that whole thing works with the bank getting re-reimbursed, but it's a service most banks offer to their customers. The bag cannot be taken until it is officially full and sealed. These machines are not perfect and do count wrong sometimes, so there may be more, there may be less in the bag, but it all balances out in the end somehow for everyone. It also throws coins that don't belong in the wrong bag at times which is why you get pennies dimes. ect. in half dollar bags. Also, it is supposed to reject coins it doesn't recognize like canadian coin coins, but they slip through as well as many other things at times.

Coin roll hunting is exactly as you described. You buy rolls (usually boxes) from the bank and go through them, keep the keepers and dump the others at a different bank. All the while, trying not to raise suspicion.

I roll hunt nickels from boxes but dimes and halves, i exclusively do bags. Always dump at a diferent bank than you buy, or your coin roll hunting will be short lived. No bank wants to pay to get coins in and then pay to get the same ones back.

It is just amazing that all that stuff got dumped in to that bag of halves! I wonder what the processor does with that stuff when the bank sends the coins in??? By the way the stamp is from 1975, one of many stamps of that series.

update:
Brought everything back to the bank (except the goodies of course). When all was said and done, I was shorted $.63.

Pretty good considering I got all that weird stuff. can't wait for the next bag

Back
Top Bottom