Gold nuggets

THOMAS SOBER

I was wondering if anybody out there would help me figure out what would be a good beginner model detector that can pick up small gold nuggets. I live in the gold country in california and am starting out in my new gold hunting adventure........

Fisher Gold Bug SE, Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold Pack, White's MXT...............the Gold Bug SE is the lowest cost.....$499.

Dusty

i dont have that much cash to spend right now. i looked on ebay and found a Garrett GTA350 Metal Gold Detector what do ou think about starting with a cheaper one like that?? will it pick up california gold nuggets?? if so maybe ill get lucky and find one big enough to get a good one.....

I don't have a Garrett, but they make good machines. Nuggett hunting is a little different than coin hunting, so hopefully there will a manual with the detector. If not, we can help you over the rough spots.....

Dusty

i dont have that much cash to spend right now. i looked on ebay and found a Garrett GTA350 Metal Gold Detector what do ou think about starting with a cheaper one like that?? will it pick up california gold nuggets?? if so maybe ill get lucky and find one big enough to get a good one.....

The Tesoro Compadre is more sensitive to
small gold. It only cost $152.

Tesoro metal detectors run at a better
operating frequency for finding gold.
Dedicated gold machines run at even
higher frequency.

The best Tesoro for finding gold nuggets is
the Lobo SuperTrack. It is a dedicated gold
machine and cost $630.

Happy Huntin,

The Tesoro Compadre is more sensitive to
small gold. It only cost $152.

Tesoro metal detectors run at a better
operating frequency for finding gold.
Dedicated gold machines run at even
higher frequency.

The best Tesoro for finding gold nuggets is
the Lobo SuperTrack. It is a dedicated gold
machine and cost $630.

Happy Huntin,

I agree, the Compadre is a killer on small gold chains and rings. Still, 12 kHz is a little low for a nugget detector, and most gold detectors I've seen have a special "prospecting mode" to help handle the black sand (iron). I still wouldn't give up the Compadre though. The ease of use, light weight, low price and lifetime warranty are too good to pass up!!!!:yes::yes:

Dusty

Welcome aboard Thomas Sober.... nugget shooting is a lot of fun. There are specialized machines that are great at finding gold, but some of the lower priced units (as named above) will also work. If you find some nuggets and want to invest in the high end machines, the White's TDI is a great prospecting tool with proven successes. Good luck, RickO

gold nuggets

Hi Thomas, I agree with DustyLoins on the MXT, you can find a nice used unit if ya look around for 400.00 or so, try to find one with a 9x6 dd or small shooter 6x4dd both are hot on small gold from apprx. 2 grams on up. from 2003 to 2009 I found 25+ oz's all with a MXT and a cpl oz's with a garret infinium. but if had to have just one it woud be the MXT. Most of my gold came from alaska where I had 200 acres (leased) and some from North Carolina were I live. I make jewelry with my finds, here's a few

Attachments

• 606.jpg
    606.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 653
  • 653.jpg
    653.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 662
  • 655.jpg
    655.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 664
  • 607.jpg
    607.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 660
  • 661.jpg
    661.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 659
Garrett GTA 350

I was astonished to find that the GTA350 I purchased off Craig's list for $60 could see gold nuggets down to .43 grams at about 4-5 inches(they show up in the Iron range). My Fisher 1280-x cannot see this same nugget as deep (1-3 inches). I was wondering what frequency the GTA350 was if anyone knows.. I am guessing 7.5k because that is what a GTAx550 is I think. That is the freq of the Fisher also but the GTA350 seems to be higher.. dunno.

Back
Top Bottom