Slight Silence in Threshold? Dig?

gordonquixote

Elite Member
I read about some MD's who hunt threshold breaks even if there in no tone or VID with it...the threshold just goes dead silent over certian location.

I have a MXT Pro and after reading another of those descriptions I thought to myself..."hey....I hear that now and again". I also notice that the break corresponds to the size area that would be associated with pinpointing a coin sized object.

Also IIRC, right after I got the detector I dug one of those sound-breaks just for shiggles and found a very slim solitaire bandat an old school (the gold plating and setting were gone...pretty much just a copper band) .

I used to run a slight background hum but now run at just below the threshold....I'm thinking it saves battery life. :smart:

What's the skinny on this sound break...do I need to run some threshold tone and start digging the breaks???

EDIT: When I found the 1964 Washington I posted a while back I got a super quarter tone. After re-filling the hole, I dropped the quarter back in the grass to check the VDI again....I was stoked! I then became horrified that due to the quarter landing edge-up in the grass, the tones were scattered at best....and the quarter was right in the grass on top of the soil!. I'm now wonder if the breaks I sometimes hear are dimes on-edge......I'm gonna have to start digging 'em... :)

Always run a positive threshold!

Run your threshold at a mosquito hum. If you get a REPEATABLE negative or "cold" break (silence), move some dirt off that target. If it is a real signal, it should become a positive or "hot" break/signal after removing an inch or two of overburden.

I run across lots of rocks in the field that will do this. If I'm using the DL, they'll show a 95 but only on either side of the rock, dead silent over the center.

Back
Top Bottom