My first-ever hunt with my first-ever metal detector

MoonTzu

I bought my Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 yesterday from a guy who said he'd used it a few times on the beach, but dug up nothing but bottle caps, pull tabs, and scrap foil. I practiced with it a bit yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon took it out to a local park to practice my swing and listen to the tones.

Right off, there were a lot of junk signals, which I ignored - partly because I didn't want the first thing I dug up to be a bottle cap (which, actually, I used to collect as a kid ...) but mostly because I was short on time. The first solid signal I got took me a while to really locate - my horseshoe-shaped plug was Clydesdale size. But, a little rooting around turned up a 2005 dime! :bouncy:
attachment.php

After checking everything again, I buttoned up the hole and moved on. After maybe 40 minutes, I'd dug four holes and pulled out three coins (another modern Roosevelt dime and a 1975 penny) and a hefty dogtag, which I'll be mailing to the owner tomorrow. The dogtag was big and relatively shallow, but rang up as a dime at 4-5"; everything else rang up accurately. The coax connector and washer were sitting on the surface, so I picked them up to throw away.
attachment.php

Yeah, I'm hooked!

Congrats on some nice finds for the first hunt. I remember when I first went out...I was amazed at the number of signals. Of course I was digging in my old farm yard which is full of metal. Anyway, as my signature suggests, one of the signals turned out to be pretty cool.
Happy Hunting!

Back
Top Bottom