I Got A Letter To Appear For Jury Duty

I have been throwing those letters away for years. They don't have the time or manpower to hunt you down, I am a good citizen and I have served in the past, they generally have 3 times the amount of people needed anyways they won't miss me, and if they do catch up to me for some reason they have to prove I got the letter, which I will deny all day long.

I don't see how anyone can be forced to be a jury. The Constitution forbids involuntary servitude and it's the supreme law of the land. I think being forced to be a juror under threat of possible legal trouble would be forced servitude.

I don't see how anyone can be forced to be a jury. The Constitution forbids involuntary servitude and it's the supreme law of the land. I think being forced to be a juror under threat of possible legal trouble would be forced servitude.

Yeah, you're right I didn't think of that! But then of course -- the law does anything it wants to -- even making up new laws to suit their needs.

WOW! I've been following this thread, and keeping my mouth shut until now, but almost every word that's been typed, I find very disappointing.

Without juries, the criminals that do society wrong, go free, to continue their chosen "profession" at will, because they don't get punished for it.

Or maybe, those who whine about it so much, just can't shoulder the responsibility of passing judgement on another, in order to keep their neighborhoods safer for their children to play in.

I served in the military for 21 years, and it's a good thing I did, as it seems there's many who wish to pass off the responsibilities of society onto others.

I remain disgusted.....Roger

Roger, the original poster wanted out of jury duty because of pain issues. Others probably can't afford to give up a days work for $10 or so, whatever the payment is. I've been lucky enough to work for companies that let you sign your jury duty check over to them in exchange for your regular pay, but not everyone is that fortunate. Would you really want your case decided by someone who knew they were losing a bunch of money because they had to hear about your case? Or someone who was in pain sitting on that hard, courthouse furniture?

-- Tom

I work for a law firm...we do mostly corporate law, no criminal.
I was called for jury duty and made it into the room and was place on the panel for questioning. I thought working for a law firm would be an automatic out....I be wrong!
So the defense gets their turn to ask questions of the potential jurors. He says "quick show of hands, who thinks my client is guilty?" No one raises their hand.

He then asks "show of hands, who thinks he is innocent?" I raise my hand and as I look at the others on the panel it turns out I am the only one with my hand up.

Mr Kucera.....why did you raise your hand?
My response...."because the trial has not started yet and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty"

I WAS NOT PICKED FOR THE JURY!

I work for a law firm...we do mostly corporate law, no criminal.
I was called for jury duty and made it into the room and was place on the panel for questioning. I thought working for a law firm would be an automatic out....I be wrong!
So the defense gets their turn to ask questions of the potential jurors. He says "quick show of hands, who thinks my client is guilty?" No one raises their hand.

He then asks "show of hands, who thinks he is innocent?" I raise my hand and as I look at the others on the panel it turns out I am the only one with my hand up.

Mr Kucera.....why did you raise your hand?
My response...."because the trial has not started yet and he is presumed innocent until proven guilty"

I WAS NOT PICKED FOR THE JURY!

Good and intelligent answer ! :thumbsup:

animated-detective-image-0049.gif …...until you see the evidence (or lack thereof) guilt can not be assumed and must be proven first.

I remember one time being picked for a jury where it was a big company vs an individual, and while I am leary of companies being unfair to consumers, the evidence clearly went in favor of the company and that was how I voted.

roger, the original poster wanted out of jury duty because of pain issues. Others probably can't afford to give up a days work for $10 or so, whatever the payment is. I've been lucky enough to work for companies that let you sign your jury duty check over to them in exchange for your regular pay, but not everyone is that fortunate. Would you really want your case decided by someone who knew they were losing a bunch of money because they had to hear about your case? Or someone who was in pain sitting on that hard, courthouse furniture?

-- tom

Thank You!

And that's fine, if they're truly legitimate excuses. Take a look at the handful of other responses, though. One even just arbitrarily throws the notices out, without response.

Even if one has served on a jury, and was badly disillusioned from the proceedings, it's still a civic duty to ensure that the Bill of Rights stays in place. If we don't perform that duty, then one of the checks and balances in our form of government falls by the wayside, and we're then that much more controlled by that same government.

Case in point: Porsche914's post. As it turned out, the prosecutor was trying a case on circumstantial evidence, and realized that Porsche wasn't going to be easily buffaloed by his/her posturing. I'm sure that the defense would have loved to keep him on, but both parties get to practice legal jury tampering in order to get a jury that will side with their position.

I've had a similar instance during a jury selection procedure. The prosecutor asked me if I would have a difficult time finding an individual guilty on less than positive evidence. That suggested to me that he was trying the case on circumstantial evidence. I then proceeded to answer his question with a question of my own, which was worded something to the extent of "if you were the accused, wouldn't you be demanding hard, positive proof that you were truly guilty of the crime you were being charged with?" I, like Porsche, was dismissed the next round.
I'd like to think that this caused the remaining jurors to consider what was going on, and hold the prosecutor to a higher standard.

If Pennyfinder felt I was singling her out, and judging her position, I apologize for that. My words were aimed more at the few who will try to find any excuse to shirk a civic duty because they're "too busy", or "it will cost me more that I get paid for it".

I still remain disgusted.....Roger

. . . .If Pennyfinder felt I was singling her out, and judging her position, I apologize for that. My words were aimed more at the few who will try to find any excuse to shirk a civic duty because they're "too busy", or "it will cost me more that I get paid for it".

I still remain disgusted.....Roger

Apology accepted!

WOW! I've been following this thread, and keeping my mouth shut until now, but almost every word that's been typed, I find very disappointing.

Without juries, the criminals that do society wrong, go free, to continue their chosen "profession" at will, because they don't get punished for it.

Or maybe, those who whine about it so much, just can't shoulder the responsibility of passing judgement on another, in order to keep their neighborhoods safer for their children to play in.

I served in the military for 21 years, and it's a good thing I did, as it seems there's many who wish to pass off the responsibilities of society onto others.

I remain disgusted.....Roger[/QUOTE

100% agree with you sir.

A legitimate reason for not serving on a jury is one thing, otherwise people should fulfil their civic obligation when called to serve.

Until the judicial system starts enforcing the laws and locking criminals up for a long time, calling on people for jury duty is a waste of time. The courts let criminals out to do the same crimes they were arrested for and they call it parole, thinking they have a change of heart.

Anyone with major aches and pain that makes it uncomfortable sitting for any length of time or bad hearing should NOT be required to sit on any jury.

Until the judicial system starts enforcing the laws and locking criminals up for a long time, calling on people for jury duty is a waste of time. The courts let criminals out to do the same crimes they were arrested for and they call it parole, thinking they have a change of heart.

Well, on this we can agree, other than the "waste of time" segment. The system may not be "broken", but it sure is bent and twisted, and I suspect we can thank the legal practitioners themselves for the current state of affairs.

Roger

Someone once told me, "I would not want to be judged by 12 people who were not smart enough to get out of jury duty."

Even though that is a funny joke I do not agree with it. We all have an obligation to serve (health reason excepted). Living in a society like ours has a price and refusing to pay that price when asked puts you in the same category as those who are currently destroying this country. I have served on a jury, and will do it again if asked.

I remain disgusted.....Roger

With juries, criminals are going free committing more crimes, creating more victims. The justice system in America is a pathetic joke. Most of it exists just to generate more profit for private prisons. There's a lot of people out there walking around with a long record and you'll see them on the news being arrested for murder, rape, etc.
The blood of innocent people is on the hands of those responsible for letting them be free.

Involuntary servitude is slavery. You served in the military, read the Constitution. People may also object to jury duty due to religious beliefs or just their own convictions. If you're forced to do something under duress by your government, you're not free. This applies to the military draft too. That's also unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom