Se pro vs ctx

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
Just recently obtained my first SE PRO, i went to my test bed where i have a 10 in quarter and 8 in dime,which in my soil are very hard to hit with any machine with stock coils.
CTX no matter what mode or setting i used would not hit either. SE PRO will hit both ways with sens at about 80 percent, i had CTX at every sens setting and it was a no go.

I have constantly read on forum posts where peeps said the explorers are the deepest, well at least in my garden i came to the same conclusion.

Not saying the Pro is better! Just saying at least in my garden it wins on depth contest.

Wow good to know! Thanks for the info! I've used both and my deepest dime on either was an 11" barber dime, at an old ballfield with the SE Pro. I definitely want another one someday. I had a 15" coil on also though. Happy hunting!

I have the 13 inch ultimate on the way, i am going to hit some spots that have been pounded by not only me but others as well and see if I can pull some really deep ones left behind. Man I have never pulled a dime that deep but maybe soon, I can always dream about it. Keeps me pumped for the next hunt! I heard the 15 in WOT coil is great for the etracs,safari, explorers.

Trashfinder,,

Have you air tested CTX or had problems recently with acquiring deeper coins when using for detecting???

I did not do any air tests with the CTX, not sure what my deepest coin was with stock coil, but i did once get a wheatie at 7 inches in some really loamy soil with my 6 inch coil and constantly found coins in the 4 to 6 inch range with the small coil. It is possible that my stock coil might not have been as good as it should have been? Only had the one 11 inch coil, never had the 17 inch coil to test with. Did have the coiltek football coil, it would not hit the dime or quarter either in my test bed.

I did not do any air tests with the CTX, not sure what my deepest coin was with stock coil, but i did once get a wheatie at 7 inches in some really loamy soil with my 6 inch coil and constantly found coins in the 4 to 6 inch range with the small coil. It is possible that my stock coil might not have been as good as it should have been? Only had the one 11 inch coil, never had the 17 inch coil to test with. Did have the coiltek football coil, it would not hit the dime or quarter either in my test bed.

I have not had the small coil tek for CTX,,but all reading I've done,,those coins too deep to hit with it.

Your depth from 6" coil sounds about right.

You still have CTX???
I thought you sold.

TN i did sell about two weeks ago, i decided to go back to an explorer or etrac with lots of coil options and then buy an impact. I did that and still have a little bit of cash left. At the time i tested the CTX, only detectors that could hit the dime and quarter were the deus and the v3 with ultimate coil, but not the stock DD coil.

TN i did sell about two weeks ago, i decided to go back to an explorer or etrac with lots of coil options and then buy an impact. I did that and still have a little bit of cash left. At the time i tested the CTX, only detectors that could hit the dime and quarter were the deus and the v3 with ultimate coil, but not the stock DD coil.

I may too go back to etrac and get rid of my CTX.

My first FBS machine was the SE pro, great machine. Found me lots of silver. I upgraded to the CTX 3 years ago now. The CTX is just so much more machine. In my soil here in Colorado which is about 4 bar F75 and alkali patches all over the CTX and my Tom tuned CZ 6A is the only two machines I own that will hit a 10in quarter with any decent ID. Deepest target dug with my SE pro was a 12 in shotgun headstamp that I really had to chase, had a really high ferrous reading but the conductive was good. This was with the 12 x 10 SEF coil, loved that coil. Explorers were some great machines.

Having an Explorer2 with Ultimate 13" and CTX with 13x17" I will GUARANTEE you that around here....the Explorer/Detech combo is deeper without even trying. But, I use the CTX because it's ability to ID coins for what they are...accurately at depth with very little exception. It finds me more silver coins without a doubt. But raw depth? Explorers...IMHO around HERE!

Sounds a bit out of whack. I bought my first SE Pro and didn't get a lot more depth or coins than I did with my DFX. I sold it and later got a E-Trac which pulled so many more coins much deeper it kept me busy at our city park for 2 more years. Once that started drying up I bought a CTX and pulled many more from the exact same spot the SE Pro and E-Trac had stop producing.

I guess I just got lucky?

I had the progression of the IDXPro,Explorer2 and then the CTX. Exact same thing happened, my Park that i have hunted the most dried up. Bought the CTX and proceeded to dig 9-10 more silvers from the very same area of where a ball diamond was. The CTX accuracy must be the key, these dimes(all but 1 were Mercs) were within reach of either...I just think the CTX is THAT GOOD, whatever "good" means. In the end the coin count is what I measure things by, and that's why the CTX is always in my hand.

Well if i get where i do not find much i will have to go back to the CTX, i just got my extra coils in the mail today. Hope to get out soon and hunt those places i pounded with the CTX and see , i probably will not find anything behind it.

i probably will not find anything behind it.

I bet you will. I've found stuff behind my CTX with the Deus, found stuff behind the Deus with the CTX. Same with the ATpro, Etrac and V3i. For the most part I think its the slightly different angle of approach. On some of my really junky sites, just moving ever so slightly in one direction or the other makes the target completely disappear. Doesn't matter if I've covered the area a hundred times with other machines, if I didn't hit it from that specific angle I would never hear it.

I bet you will. I've found stuff behind my CTX with the Deus, found stuff behind the Deus with the CTX. Same with the ATpro, Etrac and V3i. For the most part I think its the slightly different angle of approach. On some of my really junky sites, just moving ever so slightly in one direction or the other makes the target completely disappear. Doesn't matter if I've covered the area a hundred times with other machines, if I didn't hit it from that specific angle I would never hear it.

This is a post to read,re-read and then again...read! If I'm running disc this issue is WAY worse, but I usually run high disc with the CTX anyway, I can't help myself. Angle of attack is SO critical it's worth repeating many times. It may be due to the DD coil itself, instead of a concentric coil which "envelops" the target more completely...don't know, that could just be BS. Whatever the case, I feel the angle of attack is why we miss targets that seem to be completely attainable, and find them later while asking,"why didn't I see that before"?

Back
Top Bottom