Garret at max vs Tesoro Vaquero

Robm1093

I'm still liking the Vaquero but I'm just wishing it was water proof , Now I'm also looking at the new Garrett max. wondering If the Max is as deep as the vaquero? How deep are you getting with the max?

Last edited:
I'm hitting wheaties at 8-10" with my MAX in our test bed, but I don't have enough time at real sites to tell you definitively how it's doing. I can't say it's better than the Tesoro because I have no experience with that detector. I'm also hitting very small targets such as bullets and shells that my ACE detectors never "saw" with the MAX. It's a great detector. Have you looked at the ML equinox? That could also be a contender. GL!

I'm hitting wheaties at 8-10" with my MAX in our test bed, but I don't have enough time at real sites to tell you definitively how it's doing. I can't say it's better than the Tesoro because I have no experience with that detector. I'm also hitting very small targets such as bullets and shells that my ACE detectors never "saw" with the MAX. It's a great detector. Have you looked at the ML equinox? That could also be a contender. GL!

Going to look at it now.. Thanks

ML equinox looks good but new, Have to see some Feld repots and test to how deep it goes. Might also work good on salt beech...

Ok now the ML equinox is on my list , so its the Tesoro vaquero, Garrett at max and the ML equinox. only problem its going to take some time to get some field report for the ML equinox. if the Vaquero was water prof I would have ordered it already. Do you find old coins in water or is it mostly a clad and gold thing? o yes with the max I can say out in the rain, very good.

Ok, SO I liked the Vaquero a lot but have to remove it from my list because its not Waterproof. So now the runner up is the at Mx but now that I have seen the New ML equinox I am going to hold off so we can see some field reported from the ML equinox.

Ok, SO I liked the Vaquero a lot but have to remove it from my list because its not Waterproof. So now the runner up is the at Mx but now that I have seen the New ML equinox I am going to hold off so we can see some field reported from the ML equinox.

Sounds like a good plan. Side note: I've burned through my first set of batteries with my MAX and I still love it. Just the other day I was out in a pouring (warm) rain storm detecting, which was awesome. This weekend I take it to the beach for the first time. I plan to hit the shorebreak a bit. This versatility is so handy!

Sounds like a good plan. Side note: I've burned through my first set of batteries with my MAX and I still love it. Just the other day I was out in a pouring (warm) rain storm detecting, which was awesome. This weekend I take it to the beach for the first time. I plan to hit the shorebreak a bit. This versatility is so handy!

I will by Looking for your Beach report, I am 5 min from the beech and plan to save all my clad for a pi detector for my 2nd detector. I think rain hunts might be grate, Thanks for all the good info

Don't get hung up on just Depth. There are lots of other characteristics that make a good detector. Target identification, Detector weight, Coil available. Recovery Speed when passed over an iron target. Just a whole lot more to detecting than Depth.

I just got the Max about the same time Triadhunter did and I agree, it is a good machine. Definitely one that I would reccomend. There are many coils that you can get for it that are made by NEL. Golden Road Metal Detectors carries all of the different sizes.

I just got the Max about the same time Triadhunter did and I agree, it is a good machine. Definitely one that I would reccomend. There are many coils that you can get for it that are made by NEL. Golden Road Metal Detectors carries all of the different sizes.

Thanks

Still Waiting for the ML equinox Beech reports and if it disappoints I will be getting the max. I used a Garret in my yard this weekend and liked it a lot. Found coins fro 1910, 40s 50s 60s 70s 90s and 2000........ Also a ring!

Attachments

• find yard.jpg
    find yard.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 439
Still Waiting for the ML equinox Beech reports and if it disappoints I will be getting the max. I used a Garret in my yard this weekend and liked it a lot. Found coins fro 1910, 40s 50s 60s 70s 90s and 2000........ Also a ring!

Did you say beach? Salt water? Lol, you can scratch the Max off your list if you plan on actually getting into the saltwater or detecting wet salty sand. Single frequency detectors aren't optimal for these environments.

Did you say beach? Salt water? Lol, you can scratch the Max off your list if you plan on actually getting into the saltwater or detecting wet salty sand. Single frequency detectors aren't optimal for these environments.

I have trouble believing all single frequency detectors are exactly the same as I have owned dozens of them. White's used to have the ID range for many detectors printed on the control box. It said salt was rejected at settings that were in between iron rejection and foil rejection.

So I wonder how many detectorists have even bothered to try to disc out salt, rather than just turn down sensitivity and complain that it doesn't reject salt when set to accept it? We have more accurate target ID today, on the average, compared to 25 years ago, so for most detector users, most rings will ID as nickel or pulltabs, maybe a few small ones as foil.

Garrett says the AT Max has improved detection in salt. If it were not so, it would seem this claim would ruin their reputation, and there might even be legal consequences.

Are all detectors with 2+ frequencies the same in depth and ID accuracy?

I have trouble believing all single frequency detectors are exactly the same as I have owned dozens of them. White's used to have the ID range for many detectors printed on the control box. It said salt was rejected at settings that were in between iron rejection and foil rejection.

So I wonder how many detectorists have even bothered to try to disc out salt, rather than just turn down sensitivity and complain that it doesn't reject salt when set to accept it? We have more accurate target ID today, on the average, compared to 25 years ago, so for most detector users, most rings will ID as nickel or pulltabs, maybe a few small ones as foil.

Garrett says the AT Max has improved detection in salt. If it were not so, it would seem this claim would ruin their reputation, and there might even be legal consequences.

Are all detectors with 2+ frequencies the same in depth and ID accuracy?

Garrett also claimed the AT Pro works well in saltwater, and compared to a pancake on the end of a stick...it does work well. Like anywhere else though, beaches specifically have their own set of circumstances like dry sand, wet sand, black sand and in the water. Salt is a whole different animal than dry hunting or freshwater. Even freshwater beaches can have some black sand and many guys here have said it's hell with single frequency. Basically you're trying to get a single ground balance on two different things, the salt which is constantly changing and the actual ground...which is why multiple frequency detectors are better because they can ground to several different ranges of elements at once or what could kinda be described as a multiple balance system.

Don't take my word for it though, read pretty much any thread on here about Single vs Multi for beach hunting and you'll see hands down it's a night and day difference. That's not to say some haven't been somewhat successful with single frequency detectors on or in salt, but having the right tool for the job is pretty key to being successful and single frequency detectors are not optimal for this job...

Last edited:
Been wondering about the ML Equinox and the AT Max. Bench tests for the Equinox says good things but I still want to see several field tests before I continue.

I live on an island and def want something that is water proof and can handle the salt beaches and wet salt sand. Both say they will but saying and doing are two different things. THey say the ATP would handle salt but just barely and I only use it in dry due to falsing in wet sand or in shallow water conditions.

From research into both I think the AT Max is a slightly better version of my AT Pro. The equinox talks a good story and says it will handle salt but I've heard that claim before and I'll believe it when I see/hear it for myself.

Back
Top Bottom