Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Help To ID My Finds

Old 11-12-2017, 09:21 PM

Default OH head stamp king!!!

Any I?D. On this? It's solid brass, 2" long
Attached Images

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $78.87

Old 11-12-2017, 11:46 PM
Supporter

I'm no headstamp king, but I am from OH It looks like it might be from the Frankford Arsenal, potentially a pretty early cartridge. It might help to post a pic of the length of the cartridge, also.

Frankford used the "F" stamp at the 12 o'clock position, but apparently only prior to WWI. After that they switched to "F A". The other numbers would indicate date of manufacture, but usually the year is 2 digits.

Here's a site that has some examples from the 1890s: http://www.oldammo.com/november04.htm

You can compare your overall cartridge to the pics. If you scroll down to the second picture, the headstamps look similar to yours. For example, there's one stamped F 9 88 indicating it was made in Sept 1888. Wikipedia has some info as well (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankford_Arsenal), and they mention that a F 2 12 stamp would mean it was made in Feb 1912. It's odd yours only has one digit numbers though, unless the "F 2 8" means Feb 1908, and they just didn't bother with the "0" in front of the 8 (is there a faint number after the 8 that I'm not seeing in the pic?). Or it means the cartridge is something else entirely, and I'm completely wrong

Oldest coin: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent

Garrett Ace 400; Garrett Pro-Pointer

Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 PM
Elite Member

45-70 from Frankfort Arsenal. 1880 something (can't read the second number) and Feb.

Old 11-15-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by AirmetTango View post
I'm no headstamp king, but I am from OH It looks like it might be from the Frankford Arsenal, potentially a pretty early cartridge. It might help to post a pic of the length of the cartridge, also.

Frankford used the "F" stamp at the 12 o'clock position, but apparently only prior to WWI. After that they switched to "F A". The other numbers would indicate date of manufacture, but usually the year is 2 digits.

Here's a site that has some examples from the 1890s: http://www.oldammo.com/november04.htm

You can compare your overall cartridge to the pics. If you scroll down to the second picture, the headstamps look similar to yours. For example, there's one stamped F 9 88 indicating it was made in Sept 1888. Wikipedia has some info as well (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankford_Arsenal), and they mention that a F 2 12 stamp would mean it was made in Feb 1912. It's odd yours only has one digit numbers though, unless the "F 2 8" means Feb 1908, and they just didn't bother with the "0" in front of the 8 (is there a faint number after the 8 that I'm not seeing in the pic?). Or it means the cartridge is something else entirely, and I'm completely wrong
I looked pretty hard with a magnifying glass and don't see a second number. There is a scratch next to it but I can't tell that it was ever a number. But either way I'm in the 1800's club so I'm happy.

9/14/17 start. BH Challenger, GP pin pointer, Lesche Sampson T handle, Leche style digger, and newly discovered flat tip screw driver, oldest 1942 Mercury dime, (1)1951 Wheatey, 1924 Wheatey but I ain't taking my winged Liberty off here yet Clad $78.87

Old 11-15-2017, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Tuna View post
45-70 from Frankfort Arsenal. 1880 something (can't read the second number) and Feb.
Thanks for your help.