Return Attempt Gone Wrong

A Valiant effort on your part! I now am curious about the backstory of this Guy?...He must have been a bad guy...All signs point to that....He isnt missed by anybody that knew him, and they for sure dont want anything to remind them of Him....

Good you tried though...great post and you gained an unforgettable Return experience!

I found a diamond ring that a boy told me his neighbor had lost. I gave it to him to return since she only lived a few houses away, She answered the door and I saw him give it to her and point at me. She looked my way and shut the door. I didn't want a reward but I would have at least liked to have received a "Thank You"

Maybe the guy was not what one would call a decent human being and alienated all his friends and relatives. You did good by trying. I find it odd the reaction that one gets from some people when you return something to them. Some are overjoyed to get it back and some say a half hearted thanks and turn and walk away. I have experienced both.

I too have run into ungrateful !!!!!.
One even called the cops on me and they held me up for 4 hours.
Just not worth the potential of issues of us doing the right thing.

My current view is...

FINDERS KEEPERS!

I guess that all endeavors do not end in success. You tried, that is all you can do.

I had a very disappointing experience returning a gold class ring to an idiot that was worth almost $500 at melt at the time.
Then I had two other class rings I found and attempted to contact the owners and return them for months but was ignored.
After that I rarely try nowadays.
I might someday if I find something very personal and can track down the owner easily but I would still think hard about it.
Some returns go very well and makes everyone involved feel really good but sometimes it doesn't happen that way.
I didn't get into this hobby to cause myself grief.

Nope nope - my guess was she is being very cautious of communicating with a stranger. There are tons scammers and dirt bags out there going after a potential big life insurance check.

I'd bet she just thought your return attempt was just another scammer contacting her.....just forget about her reply knowing you did the right thing!!

The most memorable experiences in Life are always: "The ones that went Wrong".....Not saying they are good, just saying they are memorable!

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe!

Best intentions gone wrong sometimes. I found a gold 1969 class ring in 1985. Finally tracked down the owner around 2000. Completely ungrateful. Found another of a person I knew, who was deceased, and the family did not want. Go figure!!!

I found a diamond ring that a boy told me his neighbor had lost. I gave it to him to return since she only lived a few houses away, She answered the door and I saw him give it to her and point at me. She looked my way and shut the door. I didn't want a reward but I would have at least liked to have received a "Thank You"

It probably, in hindsight, would have been better if you'd not used a middleman (or middleboy in this case). He might have kept your unwanted reward anyway.:lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom