Strange Edge on Washington Gold Dollar

GabbityGabby

Elite Member
My dad's friend gave him this Washington gold dollar coin and I noticed something weird about it. The coin has a silver-colored rim all the way around on both sides. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or know anything about this? I got the best pics I could.

Attachments

• 280.JPG
    280.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 281.JPG
    281.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 367
Those were thinly plated, I don't know what they were plated with,but 99% sure it wasn't gold.

hi,
no gold at all..

they are part of the presidential dollars series..

they were released by the mint to the public, but people hated them so much, the mint only releases them to collectors now.

It is worth ONLY one dollar..

sorry to say..

here is the US mints website which will tell you all about it.

the rim of these coins have information on them... some of these were made with no engraving on the rim, those have value.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/$1coin/

I am already aware that the coins aren't real gold, gold dollars is just the layman's term for them. I was just wondering why the rim on this one is so distinctively different and have not been able to find another like it on the Internet. If it were thinly plated you'd think it would affect the whole coin, not just the rim.

I am already aware that the coins aren't real gold, gold dollars is just the layman's term for them. I was just wondering why the rim on this one is so distinctively different and have not been able to find another like it on the Internet. If it were thinly plated you'd think it would affect the whole coin, not just the rim.

sorry, it is that way because it is worn..
I have seen that as common on worn golden dollars.

As a coin collector I see these all the time.

on the web you will find most pictures are of mint condition coins.

sorry, it is that way because it is worn..
I have seen that as common on worn golden dollars.

As a coin collector I see these all the time.

on the web you will find most pictures are of mint condition coins.

Well thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't mint condition because I own some that are, I am a collector also. Never occurred to me that the silver color might be from wear even though I know the coins are plated. Kind of gives it a unique look though.

Well thanks for the info. I knew it wasn't mint condition because I own some that are, I am a collector also. Never occurred to me that the silver color might be from wear even though I know the coins are plated. Kind of gives it a unique look though.

ah, didn't know you were a collector... something else we have in common.

yeah, its just wear... they do sometimes get that shiny silver look.

Back
Top Bottom