#1 and #2 copper? Help Needed~~~~~~~

SwingaDingDing

Hey everyone, i have a question to those who know about scrapping metals. I am a little confused between number one and number two copper.

Question 1: From what i understand, #1 copper is considered clean and bright wire thicker than a piece of lead from a pencil. What i have also heard is that copper piping that is clean with no solder is also number one? So if i put them both in the same pile, would the scrapyard take both as number one copper?

Question 2: For the types of cable wire (the stuff that is in strands, not the thick wire), i have some that is stained and dark/dirty, and some that is bright and shiny. So should i put the dirty wire with other #2 copper that include #2 pipes, decorative pieces or teapots, etc? And would the bright stuff be considered ''bright and shiny'', but not #1 because it is not thicker than pencil lead? :?:

Question 3: The copper i find metal detecting is corroded green, as usual copper does. Even though some #2 pipe may have a bit of solder/corrosion, this would still be consider #2 even though it looks a lot uglier than the pipes right? :?:

So basicly what i am asking is, what are the types of copper and what items fall under them? THANKS TO ANYBODY WHO ANSWERS THIS BECAUSE I REALLY NEED SOME HELP RIGHT NOW!!!

Pretty sure the copper wire your talking about that is thicker than the lead in a pencil wouldn't be copper #1. It would be "Bare Bright". I can post a pic if you would like. I have about 10lbs stashed away.

I've been wondering #3 for a while now myself. In three decades of detecting I could've probably filled a semi with copper and brass I have dug. Any problems with places buying it when it's so filthy and only identifiable after you hit it with a file?

I've been wondering #3 for a while now myself. In three decades of detecting I could've probably filled a semi with copper and brass I have dug. Any problems with places buying it when it's so filthy and only identifiable after you hit it with a file?

Copper that oxidzes and turns green is still clean copper and should be counted as copper #1 since it has no contamination. Copper that is contaminated by paint, lead, tin, etc or any other coating will be graded as copper #2. Copper #3 is sheet copper. Copper gutters, downspouts, pots, pans, tubs, decorative, etc will be copper #3. Hope this helps!

Copper that oxidzes and turns green is still clean copper and should be counted as copper #1 since it has no contamination. Copper that is contaminated by paint, lead, tin, etc or any other coating will be graded as copper #2. Copper #3 is sheet copper. Copper gutters, downspouts, pots, pans, tubs, decorative, etc will be copper #3. Hope this helps!

Wow thanks you! and posting a pic would be great too!

oh btw whats the difference between #1 and bare bright? also price differences?

Pretty sure the copper wire your talking about that is thicker than the lead in a pencil wouldn't be copper #1. It would be "Bare Bright". I can post a pic if you would like. I have about 10lbs stashed away.

I have about a pound of bare pright, about 2 pounds of #3, and 2 pounds of #2 so far, and that pic would be cool! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom