Why are there two Kansas Cities?

Pretty neat story. I always wonder about why there are multiple name cities in places. I mean, when we all think of Pittsburgh, we think PA. But there's also a Pittsburgh, KY, as well as three other states with Pittsburg... no "h" on the end.

I guess all the good city names have been taken, and they just keep reusing them.

Yeah, have been thru the area where it goes from Ks to Mo sooooooo many times. Often wondered the same thing.

Springfield, Missouri and Springfield, Illinois also.

There is a city divided by international lines between Canada and the US. Prior to 9/11 there was never an issue going to your next door neighbor's house without getting permission from the Border Patrol but now, if you cross the street you can get into serious trouble. I don't remember the name of this city but I saw a segment on the travel channel or something a while back.

Springfield, Missouri and Springfield, Illinois also.

There is a city divided by international lines between Canada and the US. Prior to 9/11 there was never an issue going to your next door neighbor's house without getting permission from the Border Patrol but now, if you cross the street you can get into serious trouble. I don't remember the name of this city but I saw a segment on the travel channel or something a while back.

I know the one you're talking about, Derby Line, VT. I too saw it on TV, might have been that How The States Got Their Shapes show, I remember them showing this building, which I believe is a public library, and the border goes through it.

2775944069_e57be8cffc.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty neat story. I always wonder about why there are multiple name cities in places. I mean, when we all think of Pittsburgh, we think PA. But there's also a Pittsburgh, KY, as well as three other states with Pittsburg... no "h" on the end.

I guess all the good city names have been taken, and they just keep reusing them.

And their is a Pittsburg, KS! :shock:

"but for now there are two Kansas Cities in the middle of the country, confusing 3rd graders, and competing for importance."

I live near here, I am not in the third grade...and I am still confused.

I am from Detroit, Michigan...nothing else exactly like that city out there.

Lots of others have the same name, however...

Detroit, Alabama, United States
Detroit, Maine, United States
Detroit, Oregon, United States
Detroit, Texas, United States

Kansas City

I worked in KC for a while, and discovered that there was an "old KC" down below the viaduct. If I recall correctly, there is a place where the UP and BN railroad tracks are pretty close together down near Wyoming street. That is the old tractor district. JD, McCormick, Rumley, and others all had large buildings down there. Also, Studebaker wagons were built in the Studebaker building.
If you stay off the RR right of ways, there might be some interesting places in that general area to search.
HH,
John Morton

When I lived there there didn't seem to be much confusion. There was Kansas City (MO) and there were "those people over there, across the river" :lol:

Lots of interesting stuff in that city. My favorite odd thing was going to help a girl I knew fix her boss' computer. Her boss was a real boss, as in Mafia Boss. I rode in an elevator with a goon and I was told not too read any files in the computer.

As payment, I was fed and wined and I guess not finding a horse's head in my bed was also kind of payment :lol:
I just wanted to impress the girl.
True story.

When I lived there there didn't seem to be much confusion. There was Kansas City (MO) and there were "those people over there, across the river" :lol:

Lots of interesting stuff in that city. My favorite odd thing was going to help a girl I knew fix her boss' computer. Her boss was a real boss, as in Mafia Boss. I rode in an elevator with a goon and I was told not too read any files in the computer.

As payment, I was fed and wined and I guess not finding a horse's head in my bed was also kind of payment :lol:
I just wanted to impress the girl.
True story.
Was the girl a hot Italian chick!? And I hope you were not wining and dining at an Italian restaurant with the Michael Carleone!

Last edited:
Radioi Promotion

Before I got into station sales and management, I did some pretty cool promotions.

I did the best Cardinal Baseball promotion that a Cardinal radio affiliate ever did for them. I had a contest, where the runners up, got two nights at the Adamsmark Hotel, and Cardinal tickets. The grand prize winner, I flew on USAIR to Montreal, put them up at a five star hotel, and they got tickets to the Cards/Expos game. The announcers that night, made comment of it. Two weeks later, the guys brother was stopped by a Highway Patrolman near Springfield. The Trooper sees the guys name, and that he is from Chaffee. Asks him if he is related to the guy who won the Cardinal trip to Montreal, he said, "it's my brother," and the Trooper let him go.

All that above to get to this point. I always wanted to do a radio promotion where I sent people to exotic locations. They could win a trip to PARIS... Paris, Tennessee. To LONDON.... London, Kentucky. To MOSCOW... Moscow, Idaho, to MEXICO... Mexico, Missouri, COPENHAGEN.... Copenhagen, New York, or, BERLIN....Berlin, Wisconsin. Never got to do it. The group owners found out that I could sell advertising and had a knack for going into a dead radio station, and make it the top performer in the market in less than a year. Never got to go back to promotions, or, being on the air.

As far as my own exotic travel, besides the all expense paid trip that I won to the RVN, I have been to Mexico, Missouri, and Paris, Tennessee.

Oh, yeah, there is a Pittsburg, Illinois, too.

Back
Top Bottom