Knives

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Was at the local Woodcraft store and saw a damaskus steel knife blade for a kitchen paring knife. Kit form, all you have to do is make handles. So I ended up buying two and made walnut handles and gave one to my daughter. Then I bought another blade from Woodcraft and made the striped handle knife. It is high carbon, hock company. I don't like it much, the shape or the way the blade is discoloring, although that is probably normal.

Then, enjoying the process of making handles, I ordered some more blades. In the second picture with the walnut handle is a short drop blade hunter from rockler hardware. I made a maple handled one just like it and let my husband pick between the maple and walnut and he chose the maple so that knife is not shown because he is wearing it on his belt.

The other knife I tried resin casting for the first time. I made a little box mold out of a cutting board and screwed it together. I had some 20+ year old driftwood that was real dry, put a little slab of that in the resin to use for the wood portion. Turned out decent for the first try. I find the resin casting very intriguing and may invest in a vacuum pot which is useful to get rid of air bubbles.

Just my first amateur attempts. I couldn't begin to make a blade but had fun making the handles. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• DSCN4284.JPG
    DSCN4284.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 235
  • DSCN4283.JPG
    DSCN4283.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 224
Very nice work ! :thumbsup:

I like how you have that lighter section in the middle of that one handle !

When I saw the topic was about knives, it reminded me of Crocodile Dundee :lol:
Dundee.jpg

Nice work! The resin cast is an interesting way to accomplish that look. I have had good luck with an epoxy that takes 24 hours to set, no need to hit it with heat and no bubbles.

Nice work! The resin cast is an interesting way to accomplish that look. I have had good luck with an epoxy that takes 24 hours to set, no need to hit it with heat and no bubbles.

Is it called alumilite amazing? That's what I used and it's supposed to take 24 hours, although it feel solid after 8. My latest cast is of a corncob. I used the heat gun too long and at first it got rid of the bubbles and then it made more bubbles than I've ever seen, so that one's toast. What is the name of the epoxy that you use?

The product I am using down here is called Polywood. It's a two part epoxy, mixes to the consistency of WATER. If you do it in a mold you really need a perfect seal, otherwise it will drip out. After 12 hours it is still liquid enough that if you move the object it will leave a little wave in the finish.

Back
Top Bottom