Rick Okasec passes...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/09/15/arts/music/ric-ocasek-cars-dead.amp.html

If you grew up in a certain time this guy's arrival was a breath of fresh air.
A fusion of rock and new wave that was...different.
He wrote what seemed like simple songs but were sonically different and recorded in a highly polished and deceptively complex way that hooked me bad.
I still have their first album I bought the minute it came out...that is album, not tape or CD, and played it into the ground.

This was their debut single coming at you out of the radio...It actually shocked many with the new sound.
It was new, it was different, it was catchy AND IT WASN'T DISCO!

MTV was new at the time and the Car's videos seemed like they were playing every 10 minutes which helped that channel grow into something huge.

I was 23 when his first album dropped and it changed my life a little.
My musical enjoying life, anyway.

RIP man...thanks for all the enjoyable hours listening to your creations.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I was only a kid in the 1980s, but I had their albums when I was in grade school and I've never stopped listening to them. Extremely accessible music, but they were doing really unusual things with their arrangements, synth work, and studio effects. Nobody can say they were unpopular, but they were definitely underappreciated as artist musicians. Just got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Bummed, sad to hear. Also hard to believe Ben Orr passed almost 20 years ago...I was around 15 when both the Cars and Van Halen came on the scene. Was a great time in rock ‘n roll history! RIP Rick.

Man..I feel old seems like all the sings from my Younger years are going....I am getting ready to turn 60...Where the heck did 40 years go???

Back
Top Bottom