Fisher F2 VS. Old Whites Coinmaster

Yeki

Forum Supporter
I havent been at this long. A Noob for sure. I just recieved my new Fisher F2 last Friday and have been using it in my yard all weekend. I started the hobbie with an old Whites Coinmaster I bought of fleabay a couple of weeks ago. It is approximately 35years old. My "upgrade" to the F2 was a night and day surprize!

The coinmaster was very simple. In my soil, most of what it found was at or below the 3" range with the exception of som pliers, scissors, and a couple mason jar lids. They were at about 5" to 8".

Switching to the F2 is like switching on a miracle ear and then pluggin that into a parabolic microphone! "beep, beep, beep, beep,beep, beep, beep, beep,". I felt like I was going to go bananas at first. At first, I wanted to hear it all, but, I was soon on sensory overload. I was actually discouraged for a while, but, I remembered the advice given on this forum over and over again... learn your machine! I am now becoming quite satisfied with the F2. Some things I've learned...

1) The sensitivity controls are our freind and can be helpful in all ranges, not just max.

2) Coins and similar objects will sound off twice when you pass over them if they are very close to or on top of the surface. They will beep once at the edge of the out ring of the coil (8") and once on the opposite edge of the small ring. Knowing this helps to center things a bit. reducing sensitivity will usually get rid of the outer ring beep.

3) Pinpoint mode is a bugger at times seemingly because it picks up everything. A little practice helps alot here.

4) The pinpointing tool thet came with the F2 as part of a special deal seems to be almost useless at times.

Looking back, the Coinmaster is a really cool detector and I can see a use for it still, but, the F2 sees alot more.

It will take time to get use to your new detector but I agree about the white coinmaster they are great detectors . I have a 6000DI pro plus in showroom cond. that I am thinking about selling.

I saw your class ring yesterday, Digger! Impressive.
So far, I havent left my yard. I plan on trying the local ball park which was dedicated in the very late 1800's, just gotta get up the nerve to go public.

I also have an old White's, made for Sears.. My biggest problem with it was trying to get it closer to the ground..(I'm pretty tall) I finally made a longer
lower rod for it, and it works fine..

One other thing I'm noticing now. When the F2 detects an object, it is often detected with both coil rings which makes the item appear to be larger than it really is and often makes it harder to pinpoint causing me to dig a larger plug than neccessary. I think I'm getting the hang of it but the old Coinmister was dead on. It doesnt help that my yard is sooooo overloaded with iron scrap and nails. I'm afraid to try a public park until I can get the pinpointing down and the plugs smaller. I think I'll give the four inch coil a try.

One other thing I'm noticing now. When the F2 detects an object, it is often detected with both coil rings which makes the item appear to be larger than it really is and often makes it harder to pinpoint causing me to dig a larger plug than neccessary. I think I'm getting the hang of it but the old Coinmister was dead on. It doesnt help that my yard is sooooo overloaded with iron scrap and nails. I'm afraid to try a public park until I can get the pinpointing down and the plugs smaller. I think I'll give the four inch coil a try.

Do you mean you hear a double beep when you scan a target?
If so, I can tell you that will only happen on very shallow or surface targets.

Deeper than about one inch you should hear only one beep.

Use the pinpoint button to zero in.
The loudest tone and the smallest numbers on the screen should put the target right below the middle of the coil.
If you need to narrow it down even further...pinpoint and get as close as you can, then move the coil slightly to just at the outside of the field where you can still barely hear the pinpointer pick it up, then release the pinpoint button and hit it again and move in to center the target.
This is called de-tuning, it reduces the field size and this should put you dead on if you are finding it hard pinpointing the area at first.

4) The pinpointing tool thet came with the F2 as part of a special deal seems to be almost useless at times.

Looking back, the Coinmaster is a really cool detector and I can see a use for it still, but, the F2 sees alot more.

Which pinpointing tool did you get???

Dusty

I suspect the problem may be the amount of junk in my ground. I tried the 4" coil and it seemed to be a good improvement. I believe there may be some sizable iron objects as well as a lot of very old nails which seem to show up as dimes. I can imagine that multiple objects at varying depths could confuse things a bit. I'm going to experiment with sensitivity a little as well. I'm getting better with the pinpoint mode. De-tuning helps a lot. Again, I think all the nails and iron can confuse issues here too.

BTW, the F-Point is what came with my machine. I like it OK. Definitely better than nothing. It just ticks me off when I probe a whole pile of dirt on highest sensitivity and find nothing, only to "see" a penny or other small object as I'm scooping it all back into the hole.

I suspect the problem may be the amount of junk in my ground.

BTW, the F-Point is what came with my machine. I like it OK. Definitely better than nothing. It just ticks me off when I probe a whole pile of dirt on highest sensitivity and find nothing, only to "see" a penny or other small object as I'm scooping it all back into the hole.

1. Yea, the F-Point is pretty bad, but worth free...kinda.
Save up for a Propointer, you wont be sorry.

2. If you have a super amount of trash in the ground, hunting with the F2 can be a problem.
The great rapid recovery on this is an advantage at most sites, in a very heavy debris field it might not be unless you switch to that smaller coil...which you did.

Hopefully, other sites will be normal and you can get back to using the standard coil for larger areas.

Those old White's & other makes were great detectors years ago. Back then, not as many people detected , most coins found were silver . & they were fun to use. Really, they still are in some ways.

Went to the local park this AM. I used the 8" coil. I had absolutely no problem. I was able to pinpoint and dig small plugs. I guess my yard isn't a good beginner's lot! On the other hand, I learned a bit between the two properties.

Back
Top Bottom