Ground thaw dates ?

Chasbolio

Elite Member
Anyone know of a site (maybe for planting) that list approx.dates for when the ground frost is supposed to be gone from an area ?

I want to do some pre planning, and hate bent coins.:hammerin:

Thanks,

C

Anyone know of a site (maybe for planting) that list approx.dates for when the ground frost is supposed to be gone from an area ?

I want to do some pre planning, and hate bent coins.:hammerin:

Thanks,

C

ummm.... i think for a concrete answer to that, you might want to give Mother Nature a jingle!! even though "weather" is somewhat predictable for short periods of time, it's also very unpredictable..... there's no set pattern to it.
i'll know the exact date when the thaw hits here because the ground will be thawed on that date. the actual thaw will determine the date, and not the date determining the thaw.

Pete

Thanks guys! While I truly appreciate intelligently crafted humor, I was hoping for more thoughtful and useful replies. Perhaps there’s a wise old metal detecting farmer out there who might provide some useful information to this Friendly forum.

You can get some seed packets and go by the planting dates on the back of those....

Dusty

Thanks Dustyloins,

Info.appreciated. It's actually what got me to consider that there may be possible websites which may provide somewhat more accurate averages.

Thanks Again,

C

if you're interested, here is a site with quite a bit of information pertaining to the various factors when it comes to thawing. there's some technical stuff here, but this is mainly covering ground conditions (moisture content of the ground).

http://www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci-discuss.net/7/33/2010/hessd-7-33-2010.pdf

i know the farmers almanac and seed packages might give the best times of the year (spring) for the planting of various seed, but in general, that happens well after the frost is gone from the ground since the presence or the possibility of frost will kill a lot of new/young plants.

the actual "thaw" dates will vary from one place to the next and it's not unusual for colder weather to stick around longer than expected for any given area. nor is it unusual for an early thaw in any given area. it ALL depends on the weather patterns.

due to that uncertainty, i highly doubt that you ever find a 100% reliable chart that will tell you the ground at "Location X" will be thawed out on such-and-such a date.
Mother Nature has and always will have the final say, but if the alanac and the tomato seeds say it's time to plant, then there's a pretty good chance that the thaw has already happened and you've already been MDing and digging for a month or so prior to that time, lol.

i didnt look it over, but there might be something here..

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/

Thanks f/s/o,

I'm somewhat familiar w/the old printed version of that periodical and appreciate the link. I'll wander around there later to see if helpful.

I figured w/the vast amnt. of empirical data available someone might have put together some sort of regional chart/graph system for demonstrating expected times when localities would be frost free. Course I'm only optimistically interested in the 1st 12 inches.

Thanks Again,

C

if you're interested, here is a site with quite a bit of information pertaining to the various factors when it comes to thawing. there's some technical stuff here, but this is mainly covering ground conditions (moisture content of the ground).

http://www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci-discuss.net/7/33/2010/hessd-7-33-2010.pdf

i know the farmers almanac and seed packages might give the best times of the year (spring) for the planting of various seed, but in general, that happens well after the frost is gone from the ground since the presence or the possibility of frost will kill a lot of new/young plants.

the actual "thaw" dates will vary from one place to the next and it's not unusual for colder weather to stick around longer than expected for any given area. nor is it unusual for an early thaw in any given area. it ALL depends on the weather patterns.

due to that uncertainty, i highly doubt that you ever find a 100% reliable chart that will tell you the ground at "Location X" will be thawed out on such-and-such a date.
Mother Nature has and always will have the final say, but if the alanac and the tomato seeds say it's time to plant, then there's a pretty good chance that the thaw has already happened and you've already been MDing and digging for a month or so prior to that time, lol.

Thanks Big Guy.

Only looking for an approximation, "lol".

C

You really can't go off of planting sites because that is going to be when the ground will be above the temperature the plant needs to grow. If you have snow in your area, that can effect things too. For example, the snow that we got here this year actually worked as an insulator and our ground never really froze solid.

You really can't go off of planting sites because that is going to be when the ground will be above the temperature the plant needs to grow. If you have snow in your area, that can effect things too. For example, the snow that we got here this year actually worked as an insulator and our ground never really froze solid.

Thanks PuddleJumper,

Guess there's no real knowing. Was hoping for an approx./average. ie NH 3/5 to 3/14, MA 3/3 to 3/12, RI 3/1 to 3/11 ............................
Course I'm being optmistic, I hope to be digging deep that soon.

Thanks Again,

C

Back
Top Bottom