• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Second pair of waterproof Equinox headphones.

itsaring!

24K Larry
Forum Supporter
Water still not good to try yet. But made a better set of headphones using a Lumberg M12 4 pole adapter, set of waterproof headphones, epoxy, silicone and a drill. Really like this set! The Lumberg M12 4 pole already has the center hole started. Easier than drilling out a CTX one. And found these two for $20 shipped:kingdances:

Attachments

• IMG_2836.jpg
    IMG_2836.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 2,592
  • IMG_2837.jpg
    IMG_2837.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,300
  • IMG_2838.jpg
    IMG_2838.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2,284
  • IMG_2839.jpg
    IMG_2839.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 2,430
  • IMG_2840.jpg
    IMG_2840.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 2,200
  • IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 2,167
  • IMG_2844.jpg
    IMG_2844.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2,366
Didnt Tony drill 4 holes.... 2 for wires he soldered to a jack.... the other 2 were used to put epoxy in? Looks like you found a jack small enough that you could just drill out the M12? I like your idea just because all we need the M12 to do is hold the jack solid so it dont come apart taking it in and out..... and to keep it water tight. This way works..... if you use say the buds. Tonys way works if you are putting it directly on a pair of phones using the larger cable. THIRD way is to use your way..... attach a CTX connector on the other end... or .... splice it onto your phones using shrink tube to seal. Looks like everyone but ML can make one now.....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You know i used that JB plastic glue....... i didnt like it Larry for salt water use. That connector has more room ... longer and fatter than the normal M12 we use it looks like. How did you get the jack its self thru the smaller part of the M12 without doing a splice job? That M12 sure looks like the better choice because of the way it all threads together.

Last edited:
Awesome job Dr. Gadget.

So when is Minelab coming out with water proof HP's for the Eq? Seems strange that ML would release a waterproof (to 10') detector w/o "including" a pair of WP HP's. I dont follow Minelabs methodology here:?:

Didnt Tony drill 4 holes.... 2 for wires he soldered to a jack.... the other 2 were used to put epoxy in? Looks like you found a jack small enough that you could just drill out the M12? I like your idea just because all we need the M12 to do is hold the jack solid so it dont come apart taking it in and out..... and to keep it water tight. This way works..... if you use say the buds. Tonys way works if you are putting it directly on a pair of phones using the larger cable. THIRD way is to use your way..... attach a CTX connector on the other end... or .... splice it onto your phones using shrink tube to seal. Looks like everyone but ML can make one now.....:laughing::laughing::laughing:

You know i used that JB plastic glue....... i didnt like it Larry for salt water use. That connector has more room ... longer and fatter than the normal M12 we use it looks like. How did you get the jack its self thru the smaller part of the M12 without doing a splice job? That M12 sure looks like the better choice because of the way it all threads together.
I got some parts coming to hopefully solder directly to the poles and then you can screw a set of regular headphones to the lugs. Luckily I don't think water will touch the epoxy. I got the marine white epoxy but didn't use it.
Awesome job Dr. Gadget.

So when is Minelab coming out with water proof HP's for the Eq? Seems strange that ML would release a waterproof (to 10') detector w/o "including" a pair of WP HP's. I dont follow Minelabs methodology here:?:
My theory is they wait on the waterproof headphones in case there is a flooding issue. In other words the main order of detectors are already sold and shipped so you got the $ in hand for recalls later.

That looks great! Keep us posted.

Thanks!

Going to keep an eye out on this. I have my Nox coming and it will be here this week so next up it a pair of waterproof headphones.

Good job Larry.
I noticed that the first one you made had a 4 pole phone jack and this one is 3 pole. I assume that either one will work?
I'm on the NOX waiting list (getting it for the wife) and already started making an adapter with the 4 pole.
Thanks.

Good job Larry.
I noticed that the first one you made had a 4 pole phone jack and this one is 3 pole. I assume that either one will work?
I'm on the NOX waiting list (getting it for the wife) and already started making an adapter with the 4 pole.
Thanks.

I have heard mention some wont work. But both pairs I made shut the speaker off and both work in stereo.

I have heard mention some wont work. But both pairs I made shut the speaker off and both work in stereo.

Thanks Larry,
I haven't epoxied it together yet so I think I'll go ahead and get a 3 pole ready. When it gets here I can see which one works the best. I like the idea of having the center hole on the Lumberg connector. The other ones are a bit tricky to drill out. I messed up the first one I tried to drill.

Awesome job Dr. Gadget.

Minelab has one assembly line for the Nox they did not expect the amount of interest in the detector... they need to build up inventory on the machine because this same line builds the headphones.. they would have to stop production on the detector to start up the headphone work... was told this by a very reliable source.

Thanks Larry,
I haven't epoxied it together yet so I think I'll go ahead and get a 3 pole ready. When it gets here I can see which one works the best. I like the idea of having the center hole on the Lumberg connector. The other ones are a bit tricky to drill out. I messed up the first one I tried to drill.
Yeah I do it free hand at a picnic table. You screw up too bad you can drill some fingers. Sometimes it helps to run the bit in reverse.

-----Supplier?

Looks like a winner!

CJ
Bought them on feebay. I actually bought these two for 12 bucks shipped. I know I posted I paid $20. One guy has 5 for I think for $28. CTX ones are harder to drill out and usually cost a bit.

is this the correct connector for the Equinox headphone plug?

M12 FA MALE STRAIGHT, 4 POLE, 4-8MM CABLE OD connector

Attachments

• m12-4pole.jpg
    m12-4pole.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,789
I think I may try this route to make a pair. I saw on Ebay a 90 degree M12 connector.
What waterproof earbuds did you use? What is the IP rating?

Last edited:
is this the correct connector for the Equinox headphone plug?

M12 FA MALE STRAIGHT, 4 POLE, 4-8MM CABLE OD connector
Yes

I think I may try this route to make a pair. I saw on Ebay a 90 degree M12 connector.
What waterproof earbuds did you use? What is the IP rating?
These are the ones. Just bought a cheap pair.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Fine looking work Larry.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom