Whats the best shovel to buy?

I bought a Lesche Ground Shark 40" from Bart at BigBoyHobbies for about $62 shipped. I am 6' and have very bad knees. I like it so far pretty well! Plugs are not too big and easy to replace. The foot pad on it makes it easy on my foot to push the blade into the ground also. :thumbsup:

You can make a plug cutting shovel pretty easy. I have nerve damage to my leg. And bending over just plain sux! Find something you can modify and have a small slightly oval digging blade that is ridgid. It can also serve as a walking cane. If someone says something just let them know you are disabled and detect for exercise. If they don't understand then nothing is gonna make them happy. You don't need a $200 digger to dig plugs. You just need to make something sturdy with a long handle.

You still need to get down and put the loose dirt and plug back in the hole. Think maybe a back brace and some knee pads might help. Or maybe get one of those tools the golf courses use to cut the holes in the putting greens.

Those shovels get heavy and cold to hold.
The cheaper ones are to short.

If your handy and have a Sabre saw.
Get a long handle shovel and cut the blade narrower.

It's hard not to get down on the knees dirt hunting.
Beach hunting keeps you on your feet, easy sifting.

If you are tall, have bad knees, bad ankles, or just a lazy ass, you need to stay the hell out of parks with your shovels.
You will ruin the hobby for us all, if you haven’t done it already. This thread made me a little sick to my stomach.

Geo

This thread is 5 years old. Shovels in parks are an invitation to damage the image of our hobby.

I understand it's five years old. Hoping people don't feel now as they did five years ago.
Parks in my hometown are off limits to all detecting because of this very thing.

Thanks!
Geo

Back
Top Bottom