Just got My Fourth Phone Call of the Season

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Heading out tonight to save a pair of expensive sunglasses. For those of you in different states or on the WEST side of Michigan (nothing over here!), this can be a lucrative hobby for you folks. All you need is to love the water. get a hookah or dive gear and lessons and some business cards and you should be all set. There is a demand for this kind of adventure. It might take a couple of years to reap the rewards but it does pay for itself. Especially if it gets you into new territory to play in private water or land.

Just a thought. Two weeks ago I got a phone call from a company in Tennessee wanting advice to find something. I gave it to them. I offered to find them a diver there but they declined.

Go Scuba!!

I think it would work here in the Bay also, once you get your name out there. I had a guy come in close a few weeks ago with his boat asking what I was doing, then he said if I ever got around to the other side of the point he had lost his wedding band. The good about the bay, very shallow in close and diving would be less the 10 foot, the bad, vis is less then 12 inch's once spring hits, winter vis goes to several feet.

I think it would work here in the Bay also, once you get your name out there. I had a guy come in close a few weeks ago with his boat asking what I was doing, then he said if I ever got around to the other side of the point he had lost his wedding band. The good about the bay, very shallow in close and diving would be less the 10 foot, the bad, vis is less then 12 inch's once spring hits, winter vis goes to several feet.

Visibility is a BIG problem in a lot of places I go to. If you have to see this might not be something you are interested in doing. I don't have to see.

You don't move fast and you don't feel with force. Gentle and slow gets results. Thank you OBN for bringing that out. A slight oversight on my part.

For those of you in different states or on the WEST side of Michigan (nothing over here!), this can be a lucrative hobby for you folks.
Gosh, wish I was in MI, it is TOUGH for FLORIDA. :mad: I receive a lot of calls where unfortunately, I can't make the recovery. Here are some examples:

Lady called me and said, two weeks ago I lost my wedding ring at the beach. I saw some guys using metal detectors and thought, I wonder if I could use one to find my ring. A few days later I bought one from harbor freight but couldn't figure it out. A guy on the beach was using a detector and stopped to talk and give me a lesson. He said he had found a few wedding bands so that encouraged me to find mine. I wonder if I should have told him about my ring being lost? Oh well, that was almost two weeks ago, do you think you could find my ring?

Guy called me and said, I dropped my band in a gas station parking lot. Can you use your detector to find it? I replied when did you lose it? He says, last weekend. Sigh, I said, sorry, I wasn't available.

Another guy calls me to his house and says he just lost his wedding band while cutting the lawn. Says he knew the exact place. I arrive and after searching for 3 hours, he comes out to chat and then mentions "yeah, I just lost it LAST YEAR." What the what? Since then he had major landscaping work done including a water feature, decorative boulders and a fence. All of which were adjacent to the area where he pointed out.

A couple called me and said they were searching for their ring. They had lost it and watched several guys detecting pass and dig in the area they had lost the ring but they didn't want to say anything because they didn't want to pay them a reward. They asked if I'd drive an hour away and search for free.

Ahhh, the list goes on and on.... :no: :roll:

Last edited:
So if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all?

WOW, some folks. At least when they call me what they lost is still there, even 6 years later.

Nobody yet has asked me to go to one of my regular haunting grounds where I might have already found their ring. I also tell folks I am not free. I ask for air and gas. Even though I fill my own tanks and I have made three dives so far on less than 500psi of air in a tank that holds 3300psi.

Found them and now I need to find another pair but will need a detector for them. I didn't have an underwater toy with me. DAH.

A person across the street asked me to help him find a pair of bifocals lost last fall. Tomorrow going back in.

Back
Top Bottom