Snow Board Soft Bag for Travel Detector Bag?

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
Ok gents, I am always on the look out to see what would make a good travel bag for whatever future trip I may take with the detector while on vacation. Years ago I took my CZ on a cruise and the detector came in its own travel case so that was good. I had a hard time with the scoop and handle which they considered “a weapon” but eventually handed it over to Carnival and then Carnival gave it to me while the ship was offshore.

Last night, I came across this snow board bag that’s almost new that my neighbor 2 houses down threw away. Today, I was able to dry fit and snuggly close the bag with the Stealth and its handle. Since it’s a soft bag, my biggest concern would be damage to my Excal on a flight. I have looked at it carefully and thought that if I put my control pod near the scoop and packed it within a big pool noodle that it would give it adequate protection and the scoop would keep it from getting crushed in checked luggage. I have also thought of encasing the coil in some thin plywood for protection? In addition, I would probably also fill it with clothing items. What say you? Is my plan not advisable? Do you have other ideas or suggestions to make this work? Or should I just buy specific travel handles for my scoop and travel shaft for the detector and try to make it fit in a carry on? Please note: I’m also thinking I might have an issue with a pointy metal scoop on a plane’s carry-on.

Attachments

• 20180509_162104.jpg
    20180509_162104.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 161
  • 20180509_162136.jpg
    20180509_162136.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
This is exactly how I get around from island to island. Detectors when detecting...I wrap towels & clothes around the Excal or DF pod/box for protection.
Do the same with my spearguns if on a spearfishing trip. Works very well. Never had any problems.

I oversaw two airport additions where we built the baggage sorting and transfer systems. Even with the latest tech, I'd never leave a detector in anything but a hard case.

The pool noodle works well for me. I use the thick ones and wrap it in beach towel to make it safe. The coil I use a flat type Tupper ware type container and cut a hole for the shaft, them tape the lid on.

The pool noodle works well for me. I use the thick ones and wrap it in beach towel to make it safe. The coil I use a flat type Tupper ware type container and cut a hole for the shaft, them tape the lid on.

That is a great idea!

Tupperware/rubbermaid idea is pretty cool. I just traveled with the Nox and made sure to put the control pod and coil in my carry-on. No issues with TSA... a stealth scoop on the other hand...not recommended in carry on :)

I use my golf travel bag for scoop and such, but I always carry the detector main housing and coil on board.

I always Carry On my detector

Whenever I fly I carry on my detector and put it in the overhead compartment. Never had a problem at all!

Back
Top Bottom