The Tennessee Maneuvers

JimR_TN

Elite Member
So I've been hunting a new place the past week. It is just an empty area with trees. Looking back I don't see where anything was ever on this property. It is kinda nice in that there is little trash and very convenient to my home. I mainly find shotgun shells and lead from modern bullets.

Over the weekend I found a couple of interesting things. One was a tent rope tightener and then a buckle. Thanks to the folks here on Friendly Metal Detecting Forum the buckle was identified as the chin strap buckle to a WWI M1 helmet. I also found some old coins, not too old but wheat pennies dating from 1939 to 1941 and a 1941 Jefferson nickle.

During WWII there were major training exercises in my area of Tennessee. I had heard stories from a neighbor about them feeding the soldiers who were on exercises in this area.

I went back out today. Didn't find too much, a couple of buttons that looked modern to me. Just got home and a quick search found these are WWII era US Army buttons! Very cool stuff.

Link on The Tennessee Maneuvers:
https://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entries/second-army-tennessee-maneuvers/

First pic is the helmet chin strap buckle and tent stake.

Second pic is the 2 US Army coat buttons.

Attachments

• WWII_stuff.jpg
    WWII_stuff.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 566
  • WWII_coat_buttons.jpg
    WWII_coat_buttons.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 524
Could be. I hear they had some dated equipment. Of course it could have been from hunters and not the US Army soldiers.
Could be. I've found identical ones on a known WW1 camp here in N. TX.
I have also found one in N. GA where a WW1 camp was also. None of mine have dates or marks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Just to add to this post, today I found 2 D-rings and a clip to a US Army M1932 Musette Bag.

Attachments

• 02052020.jpg
    02052020.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 463
  • il_fullxfull.1533078920_2oxj.jpg
    il_fullxfull.1533078920_2oxj.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 453
Nice finds! I actually found my first actual WW2 relic not that long ago! Sterling silver and gold plated Navy officer hat pin. Found at a home that was destroyed during hurricane Camile and the property now belongs to the city. Thinking about trying to find relatives to give it to but I’m not sure if I want to or not yet.

Attachments

• 08CBA80A-F238-485E-9FE8-9F17D9F4E4DF.jpg
    08CBA80A-F238-485E-9FE8-9F17D9F4E4DF.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 402
Back
Top Bottom