Is it worth it

Brian28jersey

I dont plan on going into the water this cold new jersey december. But is it worth it to scan the drylands where the water meets the shores on the beach?

Thanks Brian

Brian - The last time I hunted a beach I did only the dry sand - no waterline, no wet nothing! I got $5.97 in clad and a sliver ring which I wear. I got to get my big, fat b*** of my chair and did something I really enjoy. :yes: It was worth it to me!

If you are on the beach at low tide then you are out a good distance from the norm. that difference from high and low tide is where a lot of things end up. There is the lane in the water about knee to waste deep. Ive found about 20 from the hight tide mark a lot of stuff ends up there as well. once you start finding things look back at where you have dug you will see a pattern. Its deffently worth hunting the dry sand thats were most people put their blankets or towels.

FelixtheCat said:
Brian - The last time I hunted a beach I did only the dry sand - no waterline, no wet nothing!  I got $5.97 in clad and a sliver ring which I wear.  I got to get my big, fat b*** of my chair and did something I really enjoy. :yes:  It was worth it to me!

Sure its worth it... With all the wind we have had along the coast the last couple of months has blown gold up on the beach, at least here on the Connecticut side of Long Island Sound.

Thanks Everybody

I asked a question a while back and someone suggested id get a sunray coil on my excalibur, is the difference in detection notable?

I can say that the Sun Ray X-12 is a great coil for my Explorer II. It is much lighter, and sweeps a wider path than the stock coil. I am told that the depth is superior, but so far I have found nothing that exceeded the depth of finds from the stock coil. This is only by the luck of the draw. Deepest beach find with a stock coil was a quarter at 18", and a few other coins at 12 - 15". Deepest with X-12 was about 12 - 14". Coil is MUCH more sensitive, and the sensitivity must be backed down about 20 - 25 % with the Exp. II. In land hunting the same has applied in highly mineralizedfarm fields. I used to run 24 - 28 with stock. With X-12 I run 18 - 22. Hope this helps.

Bill

Yeah i think my excal is already to sensitive when im carrying my huge scoop on my back. So it might not be a worthwile endeavor

Brian,
I wear a canvas toolbelt with carboners. I clip my water scoop to my belt and let it drag behind. It stays out of the way, and marks a trail on the beach of the areas you have hunted. I have not had ANY falsing from my scoop.

Back
Top Bottom